You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What year did you leave mate?

Probably would have been better off in Beirut, This blog is done by two lads about 15-20 years older than me who went, it's quite funny and horrifying in equal measures some of the shit that happened, not just in the school but in Netherley in general. Some excerpts:

http://www.granta.com/Archive/102/Netherley/Page-1

My dad used to tell me this story, he went to school around the same time as the two fellas who wrote the blog, and I always thought he was blagging me. Seems not.

Netherley Comp.

291721_10150290428877342_5196494_n.jpg

It changed it's name to Lee Manor High School for the last 6-7 years it was open to try and change it's image. Didn't work

545185_3995970948489_293274222_n.jpg

Left in 87 what about yourself?

I was in C block and had Miss Billington for register for the 5 year sentence that I was there...

To be honest and I gonna stick up for my old school here in the 70's and 80's it wasn't that bad had great sport facilities, cricket nets, tennis courts, good indoor 5 a side pitch and on Sunday's the pitches on the fields were used for sunday league, which had a pretty good athletics track going around it

Also a not bad good library, language labs and great engineering workshop

Don't think those pics do it any justice as it was left to rot a for a fair bit, t was meant to be turned into some sort of sport village when the whole of the school and fields were going to be turned into I thnk a 9 hole golf course and fishing and sports complex.

Unfortunately as usual in Liverpool the money ran out and it is what it is today.

Still had some great times there though...but I guess if you go/live somewhere like Netherley you do, even if it has a bit of a reputation....

Left in '97. To be fair those pictures are near enough exactly what the school looked like when I went. Wasn't all bad there, but as you say, if you grow up in an area like Netherley then that is all you are used to and you acclimatise to it, I remember some lad called Carlos moved to Wavertree from Brazil and for some reason his parents put him in Netherley Comp. He only lasted about 3 weeks before he got moved from the school, he wasn't helped by the fact we all thought he would be like Pele coming from Brazil and he was terrible.

David Dimbleby chairs the topical debate from Liverpool, with Conservative education minister Liz Truss, Labour's shadow energy secretary Caroline Flint, president of the Liberal Democrats Tim Farron, author of the book 'Chavs', Owen Jones and Mail on Sunday columnist Peter Hitchens.

Jones, Flint and Fallon...might even be a few decent answers tonight.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I really like watching Peter Hitchens his breadth of knowledge is astounding,but....... he comes across as a right arrogant sod.

He has a little knowledge about a lot of subjects. He just presents one points strongly. Typical of the right wing in this country.