You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Striker situation

El Rojo

Torres, Dirk, and at a push Ngog are the only recognised senior strikers now at the club.

What do people forsee happening if - God forbid - anything happens Nando in the run-in.

Personally, I'd throw Gerrard up there. I bet he'd be fucking brilliant too.

Kuyt------Mascherano--Alonso----Riera

------------Benayoun--------------

-------------Gerrard----------------

*awaits abuse and ridicule*

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard up front on his own with Benayoun behind just wouldn't work.

We are definitely light in this area. Torres will be rested at some point and it will be Dirk up front on his own.

We just have to accept that and hope it works, even if the overwhelming evidence suggests otherwise.

Gerrard up front on his own with Benayoun behind just wouldn't work.

We are definitely light in this area. Torres will be rested at some point and it will be Dirk up front on his own.

We just have to accept that and hope it works, even if the overwhelming evidence suggests otherwise.

Babel might get the odd game like he did at Marseille, but I think we'll be seeing a bit of Kuyt up front on his own. Erk. I don't mind Dirk, but he can't play up front by himself, as one of two or the right of three he's ok.

Babel played up front in Eindhoven did he not? Looked comfortable and scored a nice header too. He played there for the U21 side and Ajax more often than not and was always a threat.

Pity we battered the quality out of him and tried to make him into a up and down winger when really he was a lazy bastard who lay on the last defender.

Edited by Goffraidh

I cant see what the fuss is, it didnt work with Keane in the team, so what have you to lose without

I think Torres Ngog Kuyt and Babel give us enough and unless you can pull off another Torres type signing why throw good money after bad on someone just for the sake of it

We have invested in youth and its about time we allowed them to show what they can do, It might just save us millions in the prosess.

Everton didnt start to perform this season untill they lost there strikers?

United struggled with Tevez Rooney and Berbetov ?

We have the best striker in the world and he is just hitting form that is good enough for me

Personally, I'd throw Gerrard up there. I bet he'd be fucking brilliant too.

Same, ever since Rafa mentioned it earlier in the season. (that he thought he'd be able to even play as a striker.) If it's the run in and we have no other options at the time, just put him up there and hope that the midfield behind him are ok in his absence.

I'd also try having Alonso as the furthest midfielder up the pitch too to link up with him, and have really wanted to see what would happen there too.

-------------masch------------

kuyt---------------------riera

-------------alonso

------babel--------gerrard

? Not sure, maybe swap Babel and Kuyt around, or yeah, have 5 midfield and Gerrard on his own, but not sure what 5 and where. I keep forgetting Yossi too, damnit. Would swap Yossi and Kuyt to try that too maybe, and see how Yossi links up with Babel on the left, and Alonso with Gerrard through the middle. In theory it could work really well and destroy some sides.

Edited by Red Phoenix

I thought we were short before we sold Keane, now we're in an even worse situation.

We've only got Torres who can play upfront on his own. Sure, Babel, N'gog and Kuyt can all play upfront but none of them are good enough, or will score enough goals in order for us to be successful.

Kuyt plays too deep when in a striking role, it's like playing 6 midfielders when he's a lone striker. Babel has been poor this season and has never impressed upfront and N'gog showed promise against PSV but besides that he's looked woeful and is a good 2 or 3 years away from being first team material.

We're competing for 3 trophies this season and we're relying on a man who has been injured for much of the season to score us the goals. I don't think we'll see the best of Torres again until next season when he's had a rest in the summer. I'm sure he'll score some goals but I doubt he'll be at his best until August.

And as for Gerrard upfront, didn't he hate it when it was tried before? In his autobiography I think he said he was gutted when Eriksson played him as a striker for England because it's not his position. Stevie's at his best when coming from deep, facing the goal, not playing with his back to goal as a striker does much of the time.

I think we've made a mistake in going in with so few top class strikers, and if Torres gets injured again our season could soon be over. United won the treble with 4 quality forwards. We're trying to do the same thing with 1.

Recall Nemeth and play him with Pancheco in the hole..... Welcome to the future!!

Rafa has one job in the summer, get two players in: a world class forward in the David Villa, Benzema mode and a world class wide man out right, and I am not talkingh about Gareth Barry here.....

Rafa has one job in the summer, get two players in: a world class forward in the David Villa, Benzema mode and a world class wide man out right, and I am not talkingh about Gareth Barry here.....

Agreed providing Rafa's still around.Garth Barry is not need as i think we have the best midfield package already

I think we have left ourselves short.

I cant for the life of me see why we didnt bring someone in.

Agreed. Cant see us sustaining a decent push for the title and a champions league run with the options we have. Really cant believe we are expecting Torres to stay 100% for the rest of the games