You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Richard Prior

HurdyGurdyMan

I find Louis CK very funny' date=' but, as with a lot of contemporary stand ups, he owes a lot to Pryor. Pryor and Carlin were both more political than today's comedians yet they never forgot that they were comedians and their job was to make people laugh.

Of today's British comedians I quite like the surreal wanderings of Ross Noble and Simon Munnery. But I do prefer American stand ups. From Berle, Mort Sahl and the more political Dick Gregory the American comics have been edgier and more adventurous but Pryor gave us routines that changed the art.[/quote']

The ironic thing about Al Murray's 'The Pub Landlord' character is that he's the creation of Armando Iannucci/Stewart Lee as the flipside to their own character (s). It is meant to be completely ironic but he's so convincing that most people are put off, including me too.

• 11 months later...

Chappelle can be very hit or miss but he has done a couple of great sketches on his show. One takes the piss out of the fact that so much new Tupac Shakur material was being released years after his death, by dropping references to things that weren't even around when he died. Another has him and Wayne Brady riff on Training Day, with Brady in the Denzel role. The joke there is that Brady has a very clean-cut wholesome image in the US.

I find very few US comedians funny and even fewer British ones.

The market is flooded with so called comedians and there seems to be more chaff than wheat.

Richard Pryor was very funny years ago but I havent seen one of his performances for years and wonder if his shock value may be watered down nowadays?

Stand Up has become an image of these x factor things were just having the nerve to make a fool of yourself in public is enough to get you a tv series!

I suspect the best comics are the ones who you hear about the least.