You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Richard Prior

HurdyGurdyMan

I don't find standup comedians funny anymore. I used too and I used to watch a lot but I've not laughed at one in years even Pryor leaves me cold. I liked hicks anger but he didnt make me laugh. George carlin is probably my favourite though if I had to choose.

Same. Especially regards Hicks.

Not many I like at the minute, really like Stewart Francis though he needs some new material.

Have to agree that Bill Hicks isn't funny. Insightful, intelligent, rebellious & charming yes, but funny? Not really.

Anyone here familiar with Brendon Burns? He's very good. Harsh as fuck but very good.

Right about Hicks. But Burns? Australia produces comedians like Iceland produces oranges. His attempt at a Sam Kinison type routine is as sad as it is completely unfunny. His TV/DVD show when he had planted 'hecklers' in the audience was a comedy nadir in which he will dwell forever.

Try Louis CK. Probably as good as it gets.

Right about Hicks. But Burns? Australia produces comedians like Iceland produces oranges. His attempt at a Sam Kinison type routine is as sad as it is completely unfunny. His TV/DVD show when he had planted 'hecklers' in the audience was a comedy nadir in which he will dwell forever.

Try Louis CK. Probably as good as it gets.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Louis CK, really clever guy.

As for Burns, I've seen him live about 4 times and he is far better than anything I've seen on youtube or TV.

I don't find standup comedians funny anymore. I used too and I used to watch a lot but I've not laughed at one in years even Pryor leaves me cold. I liked hicks anger but he didnt make me laugh. George carlin is probably my favourite though if I had to choose.

I find this with most comedians these days myself. None of them do anything that hasn't been done before, I think the majority of major stand up acts are just clones of the greats, but nowhere near as good.

Eddie Murphy made his career out wanting to be Richard Pryor. Thing is Pryor's act was all real, he was a man who bared his soul with the stories he would tell. I can only laugh at stories of stupid family members for so long.

Most major comedians regurgitate their act for every tour. Saying that though I prefer a satirical stance when it comes to comedy. I am just grateful that people like John Stewart and Mark Thomas are still out there to keep that thing going.

Dont find that Louis CK funny at all. I fail to see the attraction of his storytelling style.

Speaking about everyday situations isnt really funny without a few anecdotes but he doesnt seem to have any. Some of his sketches are ok but I cringe when he is in front of an audience.

Richard Pryor(sp?) Was funny as he was a bit of a groundbreaker and had a range of humour, most likely helped by his acting roles and he was quite blue for the era he was in.

Dont find that Louis CK funny at all. I fail to see the attraction of his storytelling style.

Speaking about everyday situations isnt really funny without a few anecdotes but he doesnt seem to have any. Some of his sketches are ok but I cringe when he is in front of an audience.

Richard Pryor(sp?) Was funny as he was a bit of a groundbreaker and had a range of humour, most likely helped by his acting roles and he was quite blue for the era he was in.

I find Louis CK very funny, but, as with a lot of contemporary stand ups, he owes a lot to Pryor. Pryor and Carlin were both more political than today's comedians yet they never forgot that they were comedians and their job was to make people laugh.

Of today's British comedians I quite like the surreal wanderings of Ross Noble and Simon Munnery. But I do prefer American stand ups. From Berle, Mort Sahl and the more political Dick Gregory the American comics have been edgier and more adventurous but Pryor gave us routines that changed the art.

Benjamin fucking Elton forty one places ahead of George Carlin? Al fucking Murray in the top one hundred? Alan fucking Davies even on the list? Billy fucking, 'I'll laugh at my own jokes until you do', court fucking jester, twatting dried out, veggie, being raped by dad fantasiser, married to insane slag, fucking Connolly top stand up????!!!! Jesus fucking wept...............and probably because he caught sight of this list.

George carlin R. I.P. He's the man.check him out on YouTube, loads on there

I loved Pryor's "Greatest Hits" as a kid. I think my ma threw it out when she read the album cover ("Nigger with a Seizure" etc. God forbid she listened to the album itself--she'd've never recovered.)

[YOUTUBE]oNCIfA6G5XE[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with Skidfingers: what made Pryor great was he was telling his own stories, not trying to be someone else. He was funny, but there was an element of anger/sadness to his stories.

But he went the same way as Elvis: crappy movies, drugs, dead. Sad story.

Stand-up is one of those things that's of the moment for me. Still can't beat catching the best live, there's a terrible over-abundance of it on television these days though and it's often extremely samey and safe - especially when filmed in huge impersonal arenas. Too many people who think their every encounter on public transport is worthy of a touring show.

Jerry Sadowitz, Doug Stanhope and Stewart Lee are all very much the real deal, brilliant minds who take it to the level of art, especially in the case of Lee. Great to catch them in places like Leicester Square Theatre, the crummier the better, with a few good slugs of spirit and a space cake.

Martin Mor's another top comedian worth seeing live, the Edinburgh Fringe annually host brilliant unknowns who never see the light of a TV studio and blow much of the dross who get on there away.

Props to everyone suggesting Carlin - a truly great comedian, and agree with the views on Hicks. I hugely admire him and agree with most of his material, but have never really found him laugh out loud funny despite infinite "you will love him" recommendations over the years. Just find his delivery difficult to get on with, but what a fucking mind he had.

Love the thing about the Christian approaching him disgusted by his act, and Hicks saying "so forgive me."

I remember one quip by Prior which I always though of especially if I pulled a posh bird.

He pulled a Playboy model and she took him back to her exclusive penthouse apartment (I think) and he said to himself when she was off slipping into something more comfortable.

'If I don't get the pussy at least I can fuck this couch'