You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neil Young

King Emlyn

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't like to promote Spotify but the whole of Archives II has gone up there (1972-76). That's over eight hours of pure Neil Young genius...

https://open.spotify.com/album/667ZvKQ3D9vzmSwfbGm2zn?si=2TSIqZtmQte8a76BpTc8bw&utm_source=copy-link

Is this because of this?

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/neil-young-music-catalog-hipgnosis-investment-1110037/

Dylan did the same recently, as have others.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Is this because of this?

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/neil-young-music-catalog-hipgnosis-investment-1110037/

Dylan did the same recently, as have others.

Quite possibly.

I have all the released albums in the box so can't justify the £120 cost for the extra stuff (as much as I'd love to buy it). Sitting listening to some of it now & very, very happy.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Harvest is the current album of the week in the GF music club if anybody would like to join in and post a review or opinion.

Not sure where I would start mate, I've spent so much time with that album it's like a member of my family.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't like to promote Spotify but the whole of Archives II has gone up there (1972-76). That's over eight hours of pure Neil Young genius...

https://open.spotify.com/album/667ZvKQ3D9vzmSwfbGm2zn?si=2TSIqZtmQte8a76BpTc8bw&utm_source=copy-link

Fuck yes.

Just listening to ‘Through my sails’ sounds like he’s sat next to me strummin’ 

Could do with a zoot right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Harvest is the current album of the week in the GF music club if anybody would like to join in and post a review or opinion.

Harvest is like a harbinger. I listened to it in my late 20's and connected with it as a young man. That was back in 2000. Now as a considerably older man, the words that were relevant then, are only more so now. An album to accompany one through life. It's relevance never dissipates. Never will.

• Upvote 1

I remember getting ready for school. I don't know, must have beed around 7 y/o. Mam always had Terry Wogan on in the morning and "After the Goldrush" was a track good 'ole Tel played, but by a band called "Prelude". Loved it. 

When I heard Neil play it and subsequently learned that he wrote it, I was taken to another dimension.

28 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

I walk by his old school in Winnipeg on my way to work. Earl Grey School.

28E9C944-C24B-4BA4-A353-4D8BD760FE28.jpeg

When I moved to Winnipeg,

I checked into school,

I wore white bucks upon my feet,

When I learned the golden rule,

The punches came fast and hard,

Lying on my back in the schoolyard.

Don't Be Denied

• Upvote 4

On 07/03/2021 at 00:50, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've only recently "discovered" Greendale.  I'd always been put off by the phrase "rock opera" and a few dodgy reviews I read at the time, so I never bothered listening out for it.  What a twat.  It's superb.

Greendale is also an album I've never bothered with, partly for the same reason and partly because I always pick something else from Young's catalogue when I'm in the mood, he's just got so many great songs.

Since you posted that though AoT I've had On The Beach and Greendale on pretty much non stop. Both albums are just outrageously good.

If I get the time later I think I'll try and dig out the Greendale film, which I've never seen.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Might be on here already but it's just a superb live version of a brilliant song....

With session player Greg Reeves on bass who was FIFTEEN at the time...Fuck sake I was scared to talk to girls at that age (still am to be fair) and yet he also played on Deja Vu in 69

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Might be on here already but it's just a superb live version of a brilliant song....

With session player Greg Reeves on bass who was FIFTEEN at the time...Fuck sake I was scared to talk to girls at that age (still am to be fair) and yet he also played on Deja Vu in 69

Brilliant.