You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neil Young

King Emlyn

Got my ticket for his Echo gig today. Looking forward to it already. Saw him it Glasto when he headlined a couple of years ago and he was nothing short of immense. His performance of Rockin' In The Free World that night was the stuff of legends.

Just after I bought my ticket, I realised it's the same day as my old man's 50th birthday. I'm sure he'll understand- he has one every year, but it's not often Shakey comes to town!

Do you mean the version of rocking in the free world that he kept restarting the end bit?

I love him to bits but that version of it was way over the top and pissed a lot of people off. That's the thing with Neil he often performs immense but over does some things.

Don't know what I'm looking forward to more Young or before that The Orrible Oo (that's The Who for younger posters) at the Arena .

I am going to both those gigs too. Never thought I'd get to see Neil Young and The Who at the arena in 1 summer. Can't wait.

I am going to both those gigs too. Never thought I'd get to see Neil Young and The Who at the arena in 1 summer. Can't wait.

Have The Who not got a thread on here??? One of the most influential and greatest bands ever and no thread......I'm appalled and ashamed....:wallbutt:

So is it McNabb, Band Of Horses, Neil young, or is it just one of the first two?

Gonna need some serious dough to bevvy in the echo through these three!

It is all three. McNabb (and Cold Shoulder) first; then Band of Horses; then the main event.

(I'm an ITK - Facebook friends with McNabb. He's turning into a starstruck giddy little schoolgirl about this. And rightly so.)

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Newcastle gig last night, and Neil Young was just sheer quality.

Over 2 and a half hours of guitar genius; the tone the guy gets is just incredible, at times bone shaking.

Set list :

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Love and Only Love

Powderfinger

Psychedelic Pill

Walk Like a Giant

Hole in the Sky

Comes a Time

Blowin' in the Wind

Singer Without a Song

Ramada Inn

Fuckin' Up

Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze

Mr. Soul

Cinnamon Girl

Hey Hey, My My

Encore:

Rockin' in the Free World

Had to shake my head at the Singer Without A Song "performance" of the bint wandering around on stage with her guitar case, just pointless imo, but Young has the best "roadies" I've ever seen. Really funny.

Los Lobos in support, they can play alright, and they did La Bamba mmm'kay ?

Enjoy it fellas.

Regret not going to see him tonight in Brum but I'm already dragging a mate along to Liverpool and I'm to much of a pussy to go on my own sadly. Is that the first time you've seen him Carvey lad? The main standout from when I saw him at Glasto was just how fucking loud his guitar was, nothing has ever come close. I'd be well happy with that set list at Lib'pool but I'm holding out to see 'Heart of Gold' live. Easily makes my top three songs of all time.

Ian McNabb's got the support slot for the Liverpool gig. I reckon he's told the Make-A-Wish Foundation a few porkies to get that.

He actually made his Head Like a Rock album with Crazy Horse, and toured with them too I think, and he knows Neil Young personally.

I spoke to him in the Post Office pub in town not long after it came out about the experience of playing with Crazy Horse, He said he`s never known a better bunch of musicians and that he was a bit scared playing alongside them initially.

Was at the Newcastle gig with CD last night.

Lots of feedback, lots of distortion. Mint guitar tone and the roadie set up was interesting.

Agree with CD on the lass walking around during Singer Without a Song, just seemed weird and didn't really work. That said he's Neil Young he can do whatever the fuck he wants really.

Thought that he might have done more acoustic stuff so was surprised it was so much of the louder stuff.

And obviously a bit of La Bambda pre Neil Young. An entertaining evening had by all.