You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarian recipes.

Flying Pig

Vegetarian Recipes - Recipes - BBC Good Food I use this.

Although there is a load of good quorn products on the market now. Admittedly, some of it is pretty wank still, but there is loads now which you can hardly taste much difference. Quorn mince to make spaghetti bolognese is really great, for example. I'd recommend Linda McCartney sausages, quorn chicken slices for butties, quorn hot dogs/burgers (suprisingly healthy), tesco's vegetarian lasagne, quorn scotch eggs and quorn fajita chicken pieces as all being pretty authentic. Tons of protein in quorn too.

Mushrooms are a good meat alternative too I find.

when you get tired of eating pasta every day, then try a spaghetti squash instead (shaped like a small NFL football or rugby ball).

slice it in half lengthwise and cook open side down for approx 45 minutes at 350F. it transforms itself into strings of sweet yellow goodness which you scrape out with a fork.

a nice tomato sauce on top with parmesan and you're set. alternatively, you can make a spicier indian version with cumin, browned butter and assorted spices.

I'm a fish, that's a shame, I have taken my life in my hands plopping out my fishbowl and over to Dennis's laptop after spotting this thread whilst gulping for oxygen.

I had some great recipes to tell you about as well and was really exited as I know lots about veggie recipes and don't get much company, I'm going to flap about now in a vain attempt to get back in my bowl before Dennis get's back from the shop, he went for a loaf, I'll probably die now due to your restrictive criteria and may as well finish off this sentence.

when you get tired of eating pasta every day, then try a spaghetti squash instead (shaped like a small NFL football or rugby ball).

slice it in half lengthwise and cook open side down for approx 45 minutes at 350F. it transforms itself into strings of sweet yellow goodness which you scrape out with a fork.

a nice tomato sauce on top with parmesan and you're set. alternatively, you can make a spicier indian version with cumin, browned butter and assorted spices.

Parmesan isn't vegetarian though you can buy a convincing equivalent.

This is my easy chilli recipe, which is damn tasty.

You will need:

1 BIG cooking pot with a lid (enough to hold around 5 litres/10 pints of chilli)

350g mushrooms

3 onions

2 tins kidney beans

1 tin baked beans

1 jar or tube tomato puree/small tin concentrated puree

200g dry soya mince

1 red pepper

1 green pepper

2kg (4 x 500g jars) of chilli cooking sauce

some butter or margarine

Instructions:

1) Put the cooking pot on a low heat and add a knob of margarine/butter.

2) Chop the onions and mushrooms and add to the pot.

3) Cook for 10-15 minutes on the low heat, stirring periodically, until the mushrooms and onions are nice and soft.

4) Pop the dry soya mince into a bowl and moisten it with boiling water (not too much). Add the soya mince to the pot.

5) Add the chilli sauce to the pot and stir.

6) Add the kidney beans, tomato puree and baked beans. Stir it up again.

7) Chop the peppers and add them to the pot.

8) Cook for around 10 minutes on the low heat, stirring all the while.

9) Turn the heat off, replace the lid, and leave for at least three hours, to give the ingredients time to marinate and soften. I like to leave it overnight.

10) Consume at your leisure. Can be heated and eaten, or apportioned into small plastic bags and frozen for later use (I recommend double-bagging it when you put it in the freezer in case of splitting) - the above will make upwards of 20 portions of chilli.

Feel free to substitute any of the veggies with other types of veggies - jalapeno peppers are good for a hotter chilli, sweetcorn is also good. Adding another onion or using red onions will make it a little sweeter, if you like that sort of thing. You can use different kinds of beans too, I'm going to do a 7-bean chilli next time.

Best served with egg noodles, rice, chips or nachos. I also like to roll it up into tortillas, stick em in a baking tray, cover with cheese and make enchilladas.

No animals were harmed in the production of this item.

Rennet, Remmie?
Correct

Parmesan is vegetarian (if i remember correctly) but it's not vegan.
See above - rennet is made from a cow's Stomach lining, unless you've got a vegetarian Parmesan - but most Parmesans come flavoured with dead.

Thanks guys, but what about proteins and vitamins, are they all catered for?
I don't think there is a great deal of vitamins from meat, as for protein nuts, eggs, milk, cheese, certain fruit and veg have loads (can't remember which)

I don't think there is a great deal of vitamins from meat, as for protein nuts, eggs, milk, cheese, certain fruit and veg have loads (can't remember which)

So give me some health facts mate. As a living breathing veggie, do you think you are healthy as just not eating meat can be unhealthy e.g. vegetable pies (saturated fats in pastries) etc. How long have you been a Reggie?

Falafel are a good bet. Dead easy to do if you've got a food processor (might work in a blender, I never really know the difference?) They also have the masculinity-saving property of being deep fried.

Any chick peas you don't use up in the falafel can go into hoummous. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

If you want protein, dahl is brilliant (for such an Indian staple, it's astonishing that you don't ever see it in curryhouses, even though it's so delicious). I've got a great recipe which I can dig out if you want

So give me some health facts mate. As a living breathing veggie, do you think you are healthy as just not eating meat can be unhealthy e.g. vegetable pies (saturated fats in pastries) etc. How long have you been a Reggie?
I've been a "reggie" all my life so it's hard to make an accurate comparison, I'm not some kind of health guru so I don't count calories and mineral content, so anything I say is from personal experience. What I would say is I'm pretty convinced that I'm healthier for my regetarianism, not necessarily because the diet is automatically healthier, just by virtue of I'd probably eat unhealty meat and therefore more fat. Also I'm very rarely ill, which is also true of my mostly veggie family.

On balance I'd say the average veggie is healthier than the average eat meater.

I like doing a veggie equivalent of meatloaf. You can basically put anything in it. I wang a whole bunch of different beans, grated courgette, carrots, parsnips. then whisk up a couple of eggs with a splash of cream and a spoon of mustard and whatever herbs or spices take your fancy, then pour it into a loaf tin, pack it down and bake on a moderate heat (175 or something like that) for about half an hour. It is ace.