You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverlining's alright. Makes me laugh more than most on here, to be fair.

And mabee mcleish just dosnt want him???

That really is it...

But why wouldn't he want him?

Bent's not the world's greatest player by any means, but he is a very good, consistent proven Premiership goalscorer, and they're not exactly ten a penny

But why wouldn't he want him?

Bent's not the world's greatest player by any means, but he is a very good, consistent proven Premiership goalscorer, and they're not exactly ten a penny

I'm guessing he thinks he has enough attacking talent with Ireland, N'zogbia, Gabby Agbofgddgdhor, Albrighton etc.

If he sells Bent, then he can buy some decent defenders as Dunne has been shit this season, I don't think the rest of the back four have been much better.

It seems you don't need much. You make it up as you go along. Just like when you had a go at people's questioning Kenny's judgement over spending £35m on Carroll, you're making the same appeals to authority now. Boring. Predictable.

Anyway, back to Bent. He represents a significant improvement over Carroll. Faster, better inside and outside of the box, more prolific. However, if he is going to be costly, it'd be wiser, in my view, to go for somebody else. Just as it would have been smart to do in the case of Carroll and Downing, which is what I said before we did the deals for either.

really?

By the way, Bent wouldn't cost £24m. He signed for £18m RISING to £24m based on trophies won, international achievements etc etc.

Add to that Lerner's apparent asset stripping of Villa and it's not out the picture we could get him for 12-15m. Villa fans seem to think that anyway and they'll know their owner more than people spouting 'oh we won't get him coz he's worf 24m lol' because they've just read headlines.

By the way, Bent wouldn't cost £24m. He signed for £18m RISING to £24m based on trophies won, international achievements etc etc.

Add to that Lerner's apparent asset stripping of Villa and it's not out the picture we could get him for 12-15m. Villa fans seem to think that anyway and they'll know their owner more than people spouting 'oh we won't get him coz he's worf 24m lol' because they've just read headlines.

I really think the Bent link is just lazy journalism. He's English. He scores goals. We're lacking goals.

Lazy journalism to link us, and talk it up.

Obviously it could be all bullshit but to me anyway the link seems somewhat credible.

- Comolli last January saying they considered Bent

- Liverpool needing a goalscorer

- Bent in the summer saying he did not want Young or Downing sold

- Start of December, articles pointing out Bent had the least touches per game this season of anybody in the league

- Rumors of Bent falling out with McLeish

- Villa who have been a selling club for the past few years

- Villa where they have been trying to reduce wage bill

- McLeish who knows he needs to sell to buy

- Bent who was nothing more than an emergency signing to avoid relegation

- Villa who will have to pay out more to Sunderland the longer Bent stays at the club

- Why would Comolli/Dalglish change what appeared to be Premier League experience necessary policy when they have less time available?

if you mean Soldado he'd be well worth it

as for Bent, I'd take him, say what you like about him as a player but he'll always score

Someone made an interesting point about Bent (on here I think, sorry can't remember who made the point), they said bar his spell at Spurs all the other “smaller” teams that he has played for, Ipswich, Charlton, Sunderland and Villa, opposing teams set themselves up differently, very few teams are going to go to Villa or Sunderland and go there and park the bus and hope to come away with a draw so he will always have more room to operate and score, whereas playing for Liverpool as Downing has found out is a different matter altogether, more often than not, teams will have everyone behind the ball for long periods of time so it’s up to the creative players to make the chances or see a defence splitting pass.

Downing had one of the highest assist rates last season while this season he has got zero goals and zero assists from over 20 games. Is Bent good enough to create a chance for himself or move into space where he will be found by a defence splitting pass. The chances are that he might only get a couple of opportunities in a single game so he has to make them count. That’s one of the reasons why Robbie Keane was shite at Liverpool, he needed at least 4 chances to convert 1… He defo knows where the goal is but like I said before, anything over £15m, it’s not worth taking the gamble IMO.

Someone made an interesting point about Bent (on here I think, sorry can't remember who made the point), they said bar his spell at Spurs all the other “smaller” teams that he has played for, Ipswich, Charlton, Sunderland and Villa, opposing teams set themselves up differently, very few teams are going to go to Villa or Sunderland and go there and park the bus and hope to come away with a draw so he will always have more room to operate and score, whereas playing for Liverpool as Downing has found out is a different matter altogether, more often than not, teams will have everyone behind the ball for long periods of time so it’s up to the creative players to make the chances or see a defence splitting pass.

Downing had one of the highest assist rates last season while this season he has got zero goals and zero assists from over 20 games. Is Bent good enough to create a chance for himself or move into space where he will be found by a defence splitting pass. The chances are that he might only get a couple of opportunities in a single game so he has to make them count. That’s one of the reasons why Robbie Keane was shite at Liverpool, he needed at least 4 chances to convert 1… He defo knows where the goal is but like I said before, anything over £15m, it’s not worth taking the gamble IMO.

we do create the chances though as we have seen we just don't have the finisher which is what Bent is

I think Downing is good enough, watch him play for England he is always beating men and whipping in good crosses, just needs the self belief to try it for us