You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reports linking Keane with City.

Xherdan

Still, I'm all for this new policy of selecting players because they've done well for the reserves. I'm sure it will give great heart to Darby and Spearing for example.

Not good news for Plessis though, this means he's got no chance of making the bench again.

What?

I thought that exact point when he said that about N'Gog. I'm sure Spearing's going to be rewarded for 18 months of consistent performances for the reasons soon...

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diouff and Keane been compared? Your hatred of keane is so pronounced now that you're just spouting.

Sorry wasn't comparing them as players nor people.

I was making the point that they both aren't up to being regular 1st teamers & if people make excuses for Keane they are no different to GH making excuses for Dioff.

I think Keane is very similar to Dean Saunders actually as he is good at a lesser team.

Dioff is just a cunt

What nonsense.

He is not good enough to start every game (he shouldn't start at all if Torres/Gerrard are available)

He played him against the BS in the League at home, a massive game for obvious reasons & he responded not by scoring a hattrick but by being completely hopeless.

Kuyt has achieved way more in world football than Keane, who hadn't even kicked a ball in the CL by 28.

I am sure you (correctly) called GH stubborn for persisiting with Dioff when he wasn't good enough.

So don't criticise Rafa for doing the opposite & also stop & think for a minute about the excuses that peopl are making for him: you sound awfully like GH did:

He is not good enough for a CL team; never has been

Why do you base everything on playing in the champions league?

Djimi Traore played in a champions league winning team. So did Biscan. So did Cisse. Are they automatically better than everyone who didn't play in it?

Shearer played very little champions league football, were Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke infinitely superior. Was David May a better player than Ledley King or Paul McGrath? Cos guess what, one of them played in the champions league and two didn't.

You can't simply judge everything based on some black and white criteria.

Why do you base everything on playing in the champions league?

Djimi Traore played in a champions league winning team. So did Biscan. So did Cisse. Are they automatically better than everyone who didn't play in it?

Shearer played very little champions league football, were Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke infinitely superior. Was David May a better player than Ledley King or Paul McGrath? Cos guess what, one of them played in the champions league and two didn't.

You can't simply judge everything based on some black and white criteria.

No but the major CL teams have the money to get who they want & the players desperately want to play in it.

So we can infer that no major CL team wanted Robbie until now at 28, which is pretty late.

Its a vastly higher standard (& more varied as u get contrasting styles) of football which is where Robbie has proved not to be up for it.

It is also the most desirable tournament to win (like the majors in golf or tennis or the playoffs in US or Test in cricket or WC in rugby) so it has the most mental pressure.

Again, Robbie looks to lack that for me.

No but the major CL teams have the money to get who they want & the players desperately want to play in it.

So we can infer that no major CL team wanted Robbie until now at 28, which is pretty late.

Its a vastly higher standard (& more varied as u get contrasting styles) of football which is where Robbie has proved not to be up for it.

It is also the most desirable tournament to win (like the majors in golf or tennis or the playoffs in US or Test in cricket or WC in rugby) so it has the most mental pressure.

Again, Robbie looks to lack that for me.

But in our 6 CL group games, he knocked in a couple of goals, breaking the deadlock in 2 games. And he had a fine game away versus PSV, only to get the customary benching in the next game. Thats reasonable and thats performing in the CL.

All I'm saying is this, Rafa must have had a plan when he bought him, but so far he hasn't tried this plan out. I assume, assuming Rafa actually watched him, that this was to play up front with Torres, with Gerrard either going CM or RW. Now Keane isn't Gerrard but Rafa knew this and still got him in. So why hasn't he given him a prolonged run with Torres and shown some faith in him.

At least give him the chance and then say he's not good enough. So far it looks like an epic blunder all round.

To be honest I was against the buying of Keane mainly due to the price we paid.On saying that I can see what Rafa idea was.Imo he needed Gaz Baz for this to work and without him the formation wouldnt work.

This could be what all the Rafa contract problem is about now.I dont think he would of got Keane without getting Gaz Baz first.

I think his idea was to have Gaz Baz and the Chief in the middle,Riera on the left and Stevie on the right with Keane either alongside or just behind Torres.

The therory being Gaz Baz can play as a holding midfielder,but when needed to he can play further up the field to help break down tight defences.

Xabi for all the class he is does not seem to push further upfield to unlock tight defences when needed to.This is just my opinion on the matter.

The thing is without Gaz Baz or a simaler type of player the need for Keane is non exisent in the team.

Like I said this is just my theory on the matter.Thats why I thikn he wanted Keane but only if we got Gaz Baz first,otherwise the signing of Keane would be pointless.

So my guess is either Rafa gave Coco his list of players needed without explaining to him the Keane situation or Coco has either not listend or just gone of his own back and signed Keane why he had the chance without the Gaz Baz deal being done first.

To be honest I was against the buying of Keane mainly due to the price we paid.On saying that I can see what Rafa idea was.Imo he needed Gaz Baz for this to work and without him the formation wouldnt work.

This could be what all the Rafa contract problem is about now.I dont think he would of got Keane without getting Gaz Baz first.

I think his idea was to have Gaz Baz and the Chief in the middle,Riera on the left and Stevie on the right with Keane either alongside or just behind Torres.

The therory being Gaz Baz can play as a holding midfielder,but when needed to he can play further up the field to help break down tight defences.

Xabi for all the class he is does not seem to push further upfield to unlock tight defences when needed to.This is just my opinion on the matter.

The thing is without Gaz Baz or a simaler type of player the need for Keane is non exisent in the team.

Like I said this is just my theory on the matter.Thats why I thikn he wanted Keane but only if we got Gaz Baz first,otherwise the signing of Keane would be pointless.

So my guess is either Rafa gave Coco his list of players needed without explaining to him the Keane situation or Coco has either not listend or just gone of his own back and signed Keane why he had the chance without the Gaz Baz deal being done first.

I thought we only got reira because we didn't buy Barry. There wouldn't have been the cash for both.

I thought we only got reira because we didn't buy Barry. There wouldn't have been the cash for both.

The midfield and attack would have been

----------------------------Mascher----------------------

Kuyt--------------------------------------------Barry

----------------------------Gerrard-----------------------

------------------Keane---------Torres-------------------

With Arbeloa and Dossena creating width from fullback positions etc

Its farily clear Dossena is more of an attacking fullback

That could be true,or maybe Rafa never thought he would have to pay the amounts that he was told for both.

I think he would of paid the amount for Barry,but never the amount we paid for Keane.Barry was paramount for the system to work.He probably could of got someone else cheaper maybe to play Keanes intended role.

Imo he wanted all 3 of the players but thought he would of got Keane alot cheaper than was paid.

The midfield and attack would have been

----------------------------Mascher----------------------

Kuyt--------------------------------------------Barry

----------------------------Gerrard-----------------------

------------------Keane---------Torres-------------------

With Arbeloa and Dossena creating width from fullback positions etc

Its farily clear Dossena is more of an attacking fullback

Imo Kuyt would of been put on bench.Barry central with Mascher with Reira on the left.Keane either alongside or playing slightly behind Torres.

You could be right though for this formation you have makes sense.

Is it possible for someone to say 'gaz baz' more often in one post?

I think it would be the best move for the player and us. I didnt understand his signing but we now have a 20+ goal PL striker on our hands who's confidence is completely shot and the manager has it in for because his name isnt Gareth Barry.

Keane has never scored 20+ goals in the PL and he will never be a 20+ striker in the PL.

Keane is a 10+ in the PL, only once in his 10 seasons in the PL has he been closer to the 20 goal mark than the 10 goal mark, when he reached 16 goals in the 05/06 season, including 2 penalties.

His career average so far is 1 goal in every 2,65 game exluding penalties its 2,97.

If we look at the actual number of games where he has scored it gets a bit worse since he usually have a couople of games each season where he scores more than one goal.

So if we look at it from the games played angle his average is 1 goal every 3,2 game, excluding penalties its 3,6.

Keane has played 18 league games so far for us(16 starts) and he has failed to score in 15 of them.

Keane has never scored 20+ goals in the PL and he will never be a 20+ striker in the PL.

Keane is a 10+ in the PL, only once in his 10 seasons in the PL has he been closer to the 20 goal mark than the 10 goal mark, when he reached 16 goals in the 05/06 season, including 2 penalties.

His career average so far is 1 goal in every 2,65 game exluding penalties its 2,97.

If we look at the actual number of games where he has scored it gets a bit worse since he usually have a couople of games each season where he scores more than one goal.

So if we look at it from the games played angle his average is 1 goal every 3,2 game, excluding penalties its 3,6.

Keane has played 18 league games so far for us(16 starts) and he has failed to score in 15 of them.

Woo woo woo, hang on. Are you hinting that you don't think Keane will make it at Liverpool?

Woo woo woo, hang on. Are you hinting that you don't think Keane will make it at Liverpool?

Haha I guess most people understand that I`m not his biggest fan, but I just wanted to break down the numbers to show that he is not this great PL goalscorer a few makes him out to be.

He has played 18 games so far and scored in 3 of them thats a 1 in 6 average, and when his career average excluding penalties is closer to 1 in 4 than 1 on 3 you will be let down a lot more often than not if you go to the game expecting Keane to score if he starts.

I thought that exact point when he said that about N'Gog. I'm sure Spearing's going to be rewarded for 18 months of consistent performances for the reasons soon...

I really dont think Spearing is good enough for our first team (dont think he's been particularly consistent over the last 18 months either)

But in our 6 CL group games, he knocked in a couple of goals, breaking the deadlock in 2 games. And he had a fine game away versus PSV, only to get the customary benching in the next game. Thats reasonable and thats performing in the CL.

All I'm saying is this, Rafa must have had a plan when he bought him, but so far he hasn't tried this plan out. I assume, assuming Rafa actually watched him, that this was to play up front with Torres, with Gerrard either going CM or RW. Now Keane isn't Gerrard but Rafa knew this and still got him in. So why hasn't he given him a prolonged run with Torres and shown some faith in him.

At least give him the chance and then say he's not good enough. So far it looks like an epic blunder all round.

I said at the time & remain convinced that he was bought as a squad player, covering Torres whilst giving us the 4-4-2 option.

That's the level he was, the level he's played at & how he is used.

2 problems:

i) The price. We cant afford £19m for a 28-yr old squad player IMO; However if it had won us the CL or PL most on here would say fuck the money.

ii) Not entirely sure that Rafa made that clear to him

Gary McAllister only played two seasons of Champions League football- the first for Leeds when he was 28 and the second for us when he was 37.

He wasn't that bad.

The CL argument is a bit of a shit one, to be honest.

He was free though.....

I think it is pretty valid in modern football in the PL

If you play well at a PL team you get looked at by the CL team scouts.

If you have really got it (Rooney at 20ish, Carrick) you'll get bought

He was looked at by a lot of teams & rejected whilst you cant teach an old dog new tricks & its a different game at teh higest level

marginally better stats than wayne rooney....

Sorry wasn't comparing them as players nor people.

I was making the point that they both aren't up to being regular 1st teamers & if people make excuses for Keane they are no different to GH making excuses for Dioff.

I think Keane is very similar to Dean Saunders actually as he is good at a lesser team.

Dioff is just a cunt

Does it matter that no player in the last 5 years combined has scored more league goals than Keane? How do you measure the quality of a player in this league? Be interesting to know because your comments on Keane are absurd. Your attitude to him as a "Uefa Cup" player is also odd and disrespectful given that Torres was just that before he joined us, as were much of our signings.