You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reports linking Keane with City.

Xherdan

So Rafa is far from blameless, and i cringe at the suggestion Parry went and signed him himself.

Yeah there is no way that happened. Maybe Rafa wanted barry first, but he wanted Keane. I do feel a bit sorry for Keane. You shouldnt be dropped after scoring 2 goals. You SHOULD be disappointed and annoyed at being taken off although without doubt he has deserved to be taken off in most of those matches as he has been poor. He probably should never have been signed. Not what we needed in the team and that money could have been better spent elsewhere, but thats not Keanes fault. All of us would jump at the chance to play for Liverpool just as he did.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sympathy for Keane? Last time he was substituted, as I recall, he was seen shouting fuck off at Benitez or the bench or the gods or whatever. So, he's been dropped. Which his form merits in any case.

And Kuyt starts and finishes every game, because?

Feeling sympathy for Keane or not is upto you. But, there can't be one rule for one and a different one for others.

He scored against PSV and was on the bench against City. He played decent against PSV at home but was not involved in the next game against Hull. He scored 1 against Arsenal, 2 against Bolton but was then not involved against Newcastle and Stoke.

Keane never had a consistent run in the team. Granted, he was shite at times but strikers need to play more often than not. Berbatov hasn't really set the world alight since his move to Utd but atleast he is playing and has already won two games for Utd with late goals.

And as I said in my 1st line, Kuyt hasn't done anything to deserve to start and finish games. Well, other than the fact he hasn't said "fuck off" to Rafa....

I think unless one is privy to the training and coaching discussions it's all but impossible to know what the root of the problem is. Keane is a bright player who has impressed at every level. Now he looks hopelessly out of sorts. Is that down to him, to the movement of others, to a failure to find the right role for him, a failure to alter the roles of others to accommodate him, or something else? Just watching doesn't explain much. What I would like to know is what has been going on to try to solve the problem(s) on the training ground. Keane, in form, has wit - something our attack desperately needs, and it seems tragic he's looking so adrift at present.

I think unless one is privy to the training and coaching discussions it's all but impossible to know what the root of the problem is. Keane is a bright player who has impressed at every level. Now he looks hopelessly out of sorts. Is that down to him, to the movement of others, to a failure to find the right role for him, a failure to alter the roles of others to accommodate him, or something else? Just watching doesn't explain much. What I would like to know is what has been going on to try to solve the problem(s) on the training ground. Keane, in form, has wit - something our attack desperately needs, and it seems tragic he's looking so adrift at present.

He's a Dean Saunders Mk2. Because he doesn't get the space any more his limitations become apparent.

Rafa dropped a huge bollock with this one and if we can get shut then we should. I personally don't mind his treatment of Keane, he's not good enough and he tries stupid things when the simple option is there. So it's only right for Rafa to freeze him out because he is not going to improve.

He's a failure and no amount of gesticulating and excuse making by himself or the Rafa out mob using any stick to beat the manager with is going to change that.

As for Parry signing him behind Rafa's back, deary me that's nonsense.

Sure he did. But I think "he just came to the club. Give him a few months to settle" thing should apply to Keane also. Even though he was a premiership player and cost us £20m.

You could argue he got that. Going from memory he played most games for a long while. Maybe through till October/November.

Apart from being subbed all the time

There's obviously more to it, anyway, I think.

My personal opinion is if Rafa wants him gone then get shut, my only worry is if nobody comes in.

Listened to your and Daves pod cast the other day Al, very good.

I think you've got it spot on here, if Rafa doesnt like him and won't use him AND we can sign someone else with the cash, Keane needs to go.

Any ideas who Rafa would go for ? Kenwyne Jones would fit the big target man (Heskey) role, but then he'd be expensive and why spend all that money on someone who is going to be reserve to Gerrard and Torres ?

A midfielder, right winger ?

Rafa seemingly wrote Keane off after two months. Whatever happened to giving players a season before judging them? The litany of class players who stunk the place out for the first six months at a new club before going on to become legends is a very long one. It hasn't helped that every time Keane looks to have been getting into some kind of form, he's found himself out of the team, or even the squad. And while it's true he's underperformed so far this season, he's far from being the only one - or even the worst offender.

I guess Keane vs Rafa is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable ego.

Sums it up quite well really. He's definately caught in a Rafa/boardroom tussle. I just think to show no perserverance or faith in a £20m striker is unthinkable. He's not a bad player, and there are many many centre forwards you can draw parralells with who commanded big fees and then took a while to get going.

Im surprised at the level of stick he has had on here regarding his mumbling expletives on being subbed. I think any proffesional footballer, Gerrard and Carra included, would break in the end at being hauled off practically every game. Its not as if the shirt came off and we was waving his arms about theatriclly.

People are pointing at a run he had in the side but this was when Torres was injured so he was virtually playing as a lone front man which he's not cut out for. I think if Torres hadnt been injured it would all be so different and he would have proved a useful addition.

The big worry now is we are going to be left with a striker in the run-in whos confidence is shot by his mangers lack of faith. Hardly ideal

Somebody else here recently wondered if there had ever been a transfer deal which had been quite so bad for all parties concerned. I honestly can't think of one, although, of the three parties involved, Spurs have definitely come out tops...although given that it probably contributed to them now having Redknapp in charge, perhaps not.

A terrible move for Keane, a terrible waste of money for us, and a bad loss for a Spurs side in which he would have done better job than what they were left with.

Veron and Schevchenko spring to mind.

I suspect I'm about to make myself unpopular, but I would take £10m plus Lennon for Keane.

I know the arguments about Lennon not being good enough, I just think he would offer us something we don't have...a right winger who's quick and could beat a man. Also would not be cup tied. Realistically, There's no chance we can get a World class winger in as we don't have the cash and they'd likely be cup tied.

Just to really put the cat amongst the pigeons, would spend the £10m on Owen and Richards. I quite like the sound of a back 4 of Richards, Skrtel, Agger and Insua in a couple of years.

Rafa seemingly wrote Keane off after two months. Whatever happened to giving players a season before judging them? The litany of class players who stunk the place out for the first six months at a new club before going on to become legends is a very long one. It hasn't helped that every time Keane looks to have been getting into some kind of form, he's found himself out of the team, or even the squad. And while it's true he's underperformed so far this season, he's far from being the only one - or even the worst offender.

I guess Keane vs Rafa is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable ego.

But which is which?

I recall an interview done in Ireland were Robbie Keane blamed everybody but himself & some of the players for the abject performances of his national side.

I don't buy this Dean Saunders comparison - Keane has always looked much better, and internationally he's looked much more dangerous (and much, much, much more intelligent). I'd still like to know what they've been working on in training. It's ironic: last season, when we started well, Pako got plenty of credit, and when he left and things dipped, his absence was listed as one factor. Now this season, when we started well (at least result-wise) Sammy Lee's input was mentioned; now we've dipped again, but he's still here, no one is mentioned! I hope SOMEONE is trying to work with the likes of Keane on such issues. Sammy has a reputation of being a good motivator and a very good man-manager, so I've been hoping he's been helping Keane, but, judging from the latter's attitude, it hasn't been working.

Edited by gkmacca

the mirror today linked him with a move back to spurs - a deal worth £15m, £5m now, plus cancel of the £10m we owe them in the summer. As ATK said before - if Rafa wants him gone, I say lets get this done before his price plummets more.

And we can put that money towards Barry maybe? I just wouldn't put it past the man. What bizarro world was he living in wanting to spend the guts of £35m on them two?

And Kuyt starts and finishes every game, because?

Feeling sympathy for Keane or not is upto you. But, there can't be one rule for one and a different one for others.

He scored against PSV and was on the bench against City. He played decent against PSV at home but was not involved in the next game against Hull. He scored 1 against Arsenal, 2 against Bolton but was then not involved against Newcastle and Stoke.

Keane never had a consistent run in the team. Granted, he was shite at times but strikers need to play more often than not. Berbatov hasn't really set the world alight since his move to Utd but atleast he is playing and has already won two games for Utd with late goals.

And as I said in my 1st line, Kuyt hasn't done anything to deserve to start and finish games. Well, other than the fact he hasn't said "fuck off" to Rafa....

To say Kuyt "hasn't done anything to deserve to start or finish games" is baffling considering the amount of work he puts in.

I'm as frustrated with Kuyt as every one else, but you'd NEVER see him put in the kind of half-arsed performance that Keane put in against the bitters. Ever. Kuyt's been shit for a while now, but as long as he works hard and keeps trying, he's more valuable to the team than players who don't.

How anyone could watch Keane hiding behind defenders, basically leaving Torres on his own, IN A DERBY, and still want him to be "given a run" is beyond me. Same goes for Babel's performance in the second derby. Performances like that have nothing to do with confidence and everything to do with heart in my opinion.

Starting the derby was the best chance Keane will ever get of winning people over but he spent more than an hour doing nothing. It would've been madness for Rafa to "reward" that by starting him again in the next game. Instead he gave Babel a chance to win people over, but he decided to follow Keane's example. Too bad for them.

Kuyt was Kuyt and worked his ass off even if things didn't happen for him, which is why he'll start again in the next game.

No matter how much people dislike Kuyt it really isn't difficult to see why he's getting picked ahead of Keane and Babel. And this is coming from someone who wanted to replace Kuyt in the summer and still does.

And about Berbatov... If he ever told Bacon Face to "fuck off" I'm sure there'd be more chance of him getting a boot in the face than a starting place in the next game. ;)

I don't think his price will "plummet", Keane is a proven top Premier Leaguue player.

Another problem is that not many clubs could afford £20 million for him.The ones who can wouldn't want him.

I cant see spurs paying£20 million back for him,infact I think if they do want him then you looking at maybe £12 million.