You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reports linking Keane with City.

Xherdan

My gut feeling is that Keane will be at Liverpool for a while yet. There is real potential in him and in the partnership with Torres that was allowed to develop at the start of the season before injury got in the way.

It was said somewhere before, but Keane and Torres up top with Gerrard on the right would be really really good for us. Especially at home.

It's being sorely tested, but I still have faith in Rafa.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think back to the Euro finals last summer, the sight of Torres trudging off shaking his head was one of the recurring images of the tournament. He didn't seem to enjoy most of the matches, the manager didn't seem to trust him and he didn't look like the player we know and love. So I'm sure he, of all people, sympathises with Keane. Psychologically it does take its toll. If there was just one match where Rafa could feel able to say to keane, 'Go out, play the 90 minutes and show what you can really do,' it'd probably do him the world of good - he's getting more and more tense as the minutes tick away.

If you think back to the Euro finals last summer, the sight of Torres trudging off shaking his head was one of the recurring images of the tournament. He didn't seem to enjoy most of the matches, the manager didn't seem to trust him and he didn't look like the player we know and love. So I'm sure he, of all people, sympathises with Keane. Psychologically it does take its toll. If there was just one match where Rafa could feel able to say to keane, 'Go out, play the 90 minutes and show what you can really do,' it'd probably do him the world of good - he's getting more and more tense as the minutes tick away.

He did on boxing day ...... :whistle:

If Gerrards up with Torres we dont need a striker, we need a midfielder.

What we need, and God bless the lad, is to drop Dirk and give Keane a go up front with Torres. Then we've got quality on both wings, you'll have Keane playing in the hole where Gerrard often lurks and Xabi finds him... and you've got 2 fellas in the box for any crosses that come in.

What we need, and God bless the lad, is to drop Dirk and give Keane a go up front with Torres. Then we've got quality on both wings, you'll have Keane playing in the hole where Gerrard often lurks and Xabi finds him... and you've got 2 fellas in the box for any crosses that come in.

altenatively clone Gerrard, drop Kirky, Keep Stevie 1 behind Nando's, and play Stevie 2 on the right.

sorted.

anyone got a cloning kit?

The only issue I have with using the Gerrard/Torres for every game is we rely on them too much to get the goals, and if one or both are not at their best we struggle to create anything, mainly because of the lack of drive and pace from midfield.

It's not the system that's stopping us winning the games we should, it's the approach, and there's no reason why Gerrard can't slot back into midfield for home games when we're doing most of the attacking, allowing us to add more firepower upfront.

This 'caution' is killing us.

Edited by ScottyT

It baffles me how many attacking players with pedigree and promise come to us then fail to kick on.

I've always liked keane however, he's just not doing it. Babel came with a big reputation and looked quality, yet he seems to be in reverse. Lucas, Captain of Brazil Under 20s, is showing nothing. Kuyt, Dutch international Striker, is doing an earnest job on the right, but he is and was bought as a striker, however, he can't cut it.

Morientes, Cisse, Fat Harry, the list goes on....

Barring the notable exceptions of Torres and (IMO) Riera, all attacking players just seem to be stifled and incapable of producing anything like their reputations suggest they're capable of.

It baffles me how many attacking players with pedigree and promise come to us then fail to kick on.

I've always liked keane however, he's just not doing it. Babel came with a big reputation and looked quality, yet he seems to be in reverse. Lucas, Captain of Brazil Under 20s, is showing nothing. Kuyt, Dutch international Striker, is doing an earnest job on the right, but he is and was bought as a striker, however, he can't cut it.

Morientes, Cisse, Fat Harry, the list goes on....

Barring the notable exceptions of Torres and (IMO) Riera, all attacking players just seem to be stifled and incapable of producing anything like their reputations suggest they're capable of.

Maybe they all fall in to the 'need constant reassurance and an arm around them every single day' category.

I think if Rafa would drop Kuyt and Gerrard was willing to play on the right, Keane could benefit from a string of games in that team.

But with Rafas reluctance to drop such a hard working player and Gerrard treating the right side as kryptonite, its unlikely to ever happen. Shame, really.

Keane could benefit from a string of games in that team.

But if he is not putting in the performances then he doesnt deserve a run in the team. Its not a one way street.

Ferguson has persisted with playing Berbatov up front even though he has been shit for the majority. His contribution to the overall team has certainly not improved nor has his personal performance. Do you hear Ferguson being critisized for playing Berbatov at the expense of Carlos Tevez? Do you fuck.

But if he is not putting in the performances then he doesnt deserve a run in the team. Its not a one way street.

Ferguson has persisted with playing Berbatov up front even though he has been shit for the majority. His contribution to the overall team has certainly not improved nor has his personal performance. Do you hear Ferguson being critisized for playing Berbatov at the expense of Carlos Tevez? Do you fuck.

Hopefully he won't be becuase Berbatov alongside the LadyBoy will get them knocked out of the CL

Hopefully he won't be becuase Berbatov alongside the LadyBoy will get them knocked out of the CL

Its not their best attacking line up for sure, but I fucking detest the level of absolution Fergusons gets from the Media yet Rafa is fucking grilled on every level and on every team selection.

Keane is being treated the same as Crouch was in his last season. Even down to scoring goals and then being dropped next game and also losing a squad place to a lesser player, for NGog see Voronin. Its a shame really but its obvious he is a gonner. Funny really because if I wanted to prove to the owners I am good at this transfer lark I'd want £20m signings to work!

Its not their best attacking line up for sure, but I fucking detest the level of absolution Fergusons gets from the Media yet Rafa is fucking grilled on every level and on every team selection.

I think it was Dave (brown-nose the site owner...) in the mag who wrote a preview of the season in which the 3rd round of the FACup saw all the big 4 field weakened sides. Arsene & Fergie rested the stars & gave young talent a chance; Rafa & Scolari disrespeted the tournament.

Rotation is the best example. The Racing Post showed that us,Mancs & Chavs rotate almost spookily the same yet even very intelligent,committed Reds such as "Paul" use the term "uber-rotation" in otherwise very balanced posts.

To end on a positive note, Berba & LadyBoy away at a proper Eruopean giant gets them knocked out, though!

You can carry 1 player if he produces at the attacking end; you can't carry 2

Keane is being treated the same as Crouch was in his last season. Even down to scoring goals and then being dropped next game and also losing a squad place to a lesser player, for NGog see Voronin. Its a shame really but its obvious he is a gonner. Funny really because if I wanted to prove to the owners I am good at this transfer lark I'd want £20m signings to work!

Crouch started our 3 worst perfomances of the season. That doesn't suggest he should have played more.

Torres is better than him.

Torres works best on his own.

Crouch was not treated badly nor has he ever claimed to have been.

Good luck to the big man, a true Red.

Been thinking more about the Keane Torres partnership with Gerrard on the right and it works on so many levels.

I should be manager.

Paul of TLW has been banging that drum for ages.

It would be worth a shot but in which game? Not really the time to start experimenting, I feel.