You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reports linking Keane with City.

Xherdan

There were valid football grounds for dropping him anyway.

Many valid footballing grounds. He has been awful in a number of games and £20m signing or not, if he is not performing then he doesnt deserve to be in the squad.

This is compounded by the fact that Keane obviously expects to play in every game and, it would seem, is not interested in prooving that fact to Rafa and his doubters.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many valid footballing grounds. He has been awful in a number of games and £20m signing or not, if he is not performing then he doesnt deserve to be in the squad.

This is compounded by the fact that Keane obviously expects to play in every game and, it would seem, is not interested in prooving that fact to Rafa and his doubters.

pretty much sums it up

Quite a few assumptions in that last sentence.

Your first point may be valid if Rafa dropped other players who are lacking form and if Keane had not been replaced by N'Gog.

I am not a Keane fan but his treatment from Rafa is pretty absurd.

Agree. It is just that some people can't understand why this rule doesn't apply to all the players.

I would be very surprised if he expected that. However I can understand his frustrations to some extent - not getting involved at all when a game is heading for a draw and getting dropped constantly and getting subbed in every game. Having said that, it just proves that my doubts about signing him in the first place was a legitimate one - I didn't understand where he would fit into the team and I still don't understand now.

Was the intention ever to play him on the right of a 4-2-3-1? I can't recall seeing him there with Gerrard in behind Torres;clearly you'd have thought that would be our idea.

Well, if that was the way Rafa had in his mind, Rafa is an even bigger idiot than I thought.

Why spend £20m on a striker then ask him to play on the right. We have already done that with Kuyt and got nowhere.

He was dropped for proper footballing reasons, this time. It must be very frustrating to watch Kuyt trying to control a ball and it going further then most goal kicks and not ever getting close to scoring recently, and Keane can't even get into the squad. It most certainly is one rule for some and a different one for others.

Your second point I would expect is wrong. Keane would not expect to start every game, but I bet he thought he'd get a bit of a run when he started scoring. Instead he was dropped. Even Rafa is confirming how hard keane is working in training so I would also expect you are wrong when you say Keane isn't interested in proving Rafa wrong. Keane has also worked extremely hard in nearly every game I've seen. He seemed more lost, then lazy in the derby.

The simple fact is that Keane over the last few seasons has been scoring goals. There is nothing to say he shouldn't be able to do it with us also. Compare it to Berbatov who was scoring even less then keane and who was contributing nothing else, but Ferguson has stuck by him and now he is starting to score and play well.

To say Kuyt "hasn't done anything to deserve to start or finish games" is baffling considering the amount of work he puts in.

I'm as frustrated with Kuyt as every one else, but you'd NEVER see him put in the kind of half-arsed performance that Keane put in against the bitters. Ever. Kuyt's been shit for a while now, but as long as he works hard and keeps trying, he's more valuable to the team than players who don't.

How anyone could watch Keane hiding behind defenders, basically leaving Torres on his own, IN A DERBY, and still want him to be "given a run" is beyond me. Same goes for Babel's performance in the second derby. Performances like that have nothing to do with confidence and everything to do with heart in my opinion.

Starting the derby was the best chance Keane will ever get of winning people over but he spent more than an hour doing nothing. It would've been madness for Rafa to "reward" that by starting him again in the next game. Instead he gave Babel a chance to win people over, but he decided to follow Keane's example. Too bad for them.

Kuyt was Kuyt and worked his ass off even if things didn't happen for him, which is why he'll start again in the next game.

No matter how much people dislike Kuyt it really isn't difficult to see why he's getting picked ahead of Keane and Babel. And this is coming from someone who wanted to replace Kuyt in the summer and still does.

And about Berbatov... If he ever told Bacon Face to "fuck off" I'm sure there'd be more chance of him getting a boot in the face than a starting place in the next game. ;)

Word for word my feelings on the subject

Even Rafa is confirming how hard keane is working in training so I would also expect you are wrong when you say Keane isn't interested in proving Rafa wrong.

Don't take too much notice on what Rafa says. I'm not saying Keane doesn't work hard or anything like that but I really don't understand what goes through Rafa's brain during interviews/press conferences.

Dossena had a decent game, Rafa talked big about him and then dropped him for Insua in the next game.

He spoke about how the players should support Keane then dropped Keane for the next 2 games.

Today he said Keane will be in the squad and he will feel very happy if he scores tomorrow. At the same time, he has said how the Gerrard/Torres partnership is important in terms of league challenge.

:wallbutt:

If Spurs are willing to offer Lennon and wipe out what we owe them for keane we should take it.

See, don't take this the wrong way, but what's Lennon got that everybody waxes lyrical about?

I don't rate him.

I watched him against Burnley the other week. Yep, he's quick, but he can't pass, cross or shoot, so no different than Pennant there then.

I think along run in the team will sort Robbie out, the only thing I do know, is that we are a more dangerous team with Stevie sitting behind nando.

Benitez was asked in today's press conference whether he wanted to sell Keane and he just swerved it and give the usual line about him training hard, etc. No straight answer, which will no doubt disillusion the player even more.

He wants rid, and if he got a genuine offer would sell him in a flash. Although whether the board would is a different matter. If he does it's another huge black mark against his transfer policy and ability to get the best out of attacking players.

Cisse, Baros, Crouch, Bellamy, Gonzalez, Morientes, Babel and now Keane have all struggled with his methods and philosophy and been frozen out.

It's too late to get a replacement in if we're selling him on, unless we're looking to swap him for Bent, Lennon (Spurs) or that dickhead Micah Richards (City).

Rafa's comments would appear to draw a line under the issue until the summer though.

A goal against Wigan would do wonders for his confidence, but it's hard to justify him starting anywhere but on the bench tomorrow.

I think along run in the team will sort Robbie out, the only thing I do know, is that we are a more dangerous team with Stevie sitting behind nando.

I want to see Keane getting a runout with Nando, week in week out.

If they both hit form, and if Gerrard is willing to play on the right instead of Kuyt, we will win number 19 by end of April.

Benitez was asked in today's press conference whether he wanted to sell Keane and he just swerved it and give the usual line about him training hard, etc. No straight answer, which will no doubt disilusion the player even more.

He wants rid, and if he got a genuine offer would sell him in a flash.

Looks like he's resigned to keeping him from my reading of the quotes:

"Robbie had a day off on Sunday, he trained on Monday and today as normal - he will be in the squad for tomorrow," Benitez told his pre-match press conference.

"We are just thinking about using him in tomorrow's game. I will be very pleased if he can score against Wigan Athletic.

"He is working very hard and will be a very important player for the rest of the season. Keane is in the squad so we don't need to talk too much about him."

Looks like he's resigned to keeping him from my reading of the quotes:

"Robbie had a day off on Sunday, he trained on Monday and today as normal - he will be in the squad for tomorrow," Benitez told his pre-match press conference.

"We are just thinking about using him in tomorrow's game. I will be very pleased if he can score against Wigan Athletic.

"He is working very hard and will be a very important player for the rest of the season. Keane is in the squad so we don't need to talk too much about him."

Not read any quotes yet, but in the press conference he was asked directly if he'd welcome offers for Keane and he responded with "He's in the squad tomorrow".