You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reports linking Keane with City.

Xherdan

To say Kuyt "hasn't done anything to deserve to start or finish games" is baffling considering the amount of work he puts in.

Can people stop praising Kuyt soley because of his work rate, it was cringeworthy.

Work rate should be guaranteed from any Liverpool player.

Kuyt should be looked at what he offers, which recently has been sod all.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which is exactly my point.

But all the players work hard, especially a player such as Keane, who runs around at times just as much as Kuyt.

Kuyt is offering nothing in attack at present and given he's playing as an attacking right sided player, it's not good enough to be starting in my opinion.

But all the players work hard, especially a player such as Keane, who runs around at times just as much as Kuyt.

Kuyt is offering nothing in attack at present and given he's playing as an attacking right sided player, it's not good enough to be starting in my opinion.

Unfortunately, no-one else is offering anymore and hence his hard-work is the trump card. Sad but true.

Well that's what I don't agree with. He spent 60 minutes hiding on monday. And it was the fucking derby. He only "ran around" when he was trying to get the fuck out of the way. How many times did Torres win the ball to look up and see Keane hiding behind defenders?

That's not "working hard" and it's the reason Kuyt is starting ahead of him imo.

Both are playing shit, but one is doing so with the right attitude while the other is not.

Well that's what I don't agree with. He spent 60 minutes hiding on monday. And it was the fucking derby. He only "ran around" when he was trying to get the fuck out of the way. How many times did Torres win the ball to look up and see Keane hiding behind defenders?

That's not "working hard" and it's the reason Kuyt is starting ahead of him imo.

Both are playing shit, but one is doing so with the right attitude while the other is not.

I have no problem with Keane being dropped, he's been poor.

But my problem is Kuyt players regardless and he's been playing worse than Keane recently (bar the first Everton game).

Personally I'd have both of them on the bench, we need more threat than Kuyt and Keane unfortunately isn't good enough to break up the Gerrard / Torres combo.

I have no problem with Keane being dropped, he's been poor.

But my problem is Kuyt players regardless and he's been playing worse than Keane recently (bar the first Everton game).

Personally I'd have both of them on the bench, we need more threat than Kuyt and Keane unfortunately isn't good enough to break up the Gerrard / Torres combo.

I agree that none of them are good enough to start or Liverpool, but we don't have anyone better at the moment. Benayoun is probably the best alternative but ultimately we need better. For now I honestly think Kuyt is our best option and it doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

To be honest, I remember hearing things about how Keane was absolutely not clicking with the squad in training in his first one or two months, making all the wrong runs, and wha

I just assume that he's continued to stink out training, because he doesn't look like he's clicking with the squad at all on game day.

Im sick and tired of Kuyt starting evry single game - his first touch is piss poor , why does Rafa insist on it ? ? As for Robbie Keane - well he needs to grow up a bit and deliver the goods - I personally think he just doesnt / hasnt worked in the system we play yet ......... in time he may well adapt but apart from his goal against Arsenal has done nothing to impress ......

going back to the first touch problem i think alot of our players suffer from it tbh ........ we need a bit of flair from somewhere -

Robbie Keane: I'll fight for my place

Jan 27 2009 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

ROBBIE Keane wants to stay at Liverpool and fight for his place.

The out of favour striker has been targeted by Spurs for a return to White Hart Lane but the ECHO understands Keane is not looking to quit the Reds just six months after joining them.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has again publicly spoken of his desire to take Keane back to North London – something which will amuse Liverpool’s hierarchy after being accused of illegally tapping up the 28-year-old by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy last summer – but no formal offer has been made.

Redknapp said: “I wouldn’t sit here and say I wouldn’t like to have Robbie Keane at my football club, I’d be a liar, but he belongs to Liverpool so it is not an option unfortunately.

“As a player and a person I have a lot of time for Robbie Keane – I think he’s fantastic.”

Keane has struggled to impose himself at Anfield since signing for Liverpool in a £20m move and his spell at the club hit a new low at the weekend when he was left out of the squad that faced Everton in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Speculation surfaced suggesting the Irishman had refused to attend the game after being omitted but Rafa Benitez insists he was simply given the day off along with all other players who were not selected for duty.

Keane has since returned to training at Melwood and is hoping to be included in the travelling party to take on Wigan at the JJB Stadium tomorrow night.

Benitez said: “Keane is one of the players who were not involved against Everton the other day.

“But he trained yesterday and he will train today.”

Spurs’ interest in Keane is real though and should they come up with a formal offer which would allow Liverpool to recoup most or all of their summer outlay for the striker it could tempt Benitez to do business.

But with just days to go before the January transfer window closes the Spaniard would have to be convinced that he would be allowed to reinvest any incoming fees in squad replenishment before any bids are even considered.

Keane has three and a half years of his four year Liverpool contract remaining and would only consider his future if he was told he is surplus to requirements at Anfield.

A source close to the player told the ECHO: “Robbie does not want to leave Liverpool.

“When he signed for Liverpool last summer he said it was his dream move to be able to sign for the club he supported as a boy.

“He was not in the team on Sunday but now he just wants to fight for his place.”

Robbie Keane: I'll fight for my place - Liverpool FC latest - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

Gut instinct tells me he'll be in the squad for tomorrow.

To say Kuyt "hasn't done anything to deserve to start or finish games" is baffling considering the amount of work he puts in.

I'm as frustrated with Kuyt as every one else, but you'd NEVER see him put in the kind of half-arsed performance that Keane put in against the bitters. Ever. Kuyt's been shit for a while now, but as long as he works hard and keeps trying, he's more valuable to the team than players who don't.

How anyone could watch Keane hiding behind defenders, basically leaving Torres on his own, IN A DERBY, and still want him to be "given a run" is beyond me. Same goes for Babel's performance in the second derby. Performances like that have nothing to do with confidence and everything to do with heart in my opinion.

Starting the derby was the best chance Keane will ever get of winning people over but he spent more than an hour doing nothing. It would've been madness for Rafa to "reward" that by starting him again in the next game. Instead he gave Babel a chance to win people over, but he decided to follow Keane's example. Too bad for them.

Kuyt was Kuyt and worked his ass off even if things didn't happen for him, which is why he'll start again in the next game.

No matter how much people dislike Kuyt it really isn't difficult to see why he's getting picked ahead of Keane and Babel. And this is coming from someone who wanted to replace Kuyt in the summer and still does.

And about Berbatov... If he ever told Bacon Face to "fuck off" I'm sure there'd be more chance of him getting a boot in the face than a starting place in the next game. ;)

There is no point in you and me arguing about it mate - there is something else going on behind the scenes re: Keane.

Personally, I never understood his signing in the first place. But, having signed him, I'm even more bemused at the way he has been treated.

People (including you, in the above post) talk about hard working and all that. Sure, Kuyt does the hard work because, quite simply, that is the only thing he is good at. Kuyt has missed as many sitters as Keane this season. Clearly, the manager prefers one to the other.

If the two choices are:

1. Keep him and don't play him
  2. Sell him

Then I would sell, obviously. I still believe in him and would like to see him stay and get played, but if it is going to continue as it has done, then we need to get rid and get a replacement. The current situation is just silly.

I think Rafa has read the situation and decided that dropping Keane for one game may see his performance improve in the next; if he's the pro everyone makes him out to be he'll be much more eager to impress after the snub on Sunday.

There were valid football grounds for dropping him anyway.