You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reports linking Keane with City.

Xherdan

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keane is very much in the Kewel mould for me, I expected so much but he has just not delivered and I really doin't know if Rafa will perservere like he did with Kewel.

If the report is correct it would at least be nice that we get our money back for a change.

Hahaha this a wind up?

If Man City wanted Robbie Keane it would be the best thing ever. We'd get our money back and we'd have £20m to spend on a game breaker. I doubt it will happen like, but it's a comforting thought.

Summed up perfectly in the first reply

Think they'd go for a swap with Robinho? :whistle:

Not sure we need players fucking off to Brazil when they fancy it.

I'd like to see a swap for between SWP and Keane. We need a player who can take players on and create chances for Torres / Gerrard.

I still think Keane will come good.

I don't, for one reason, I think the fans would rather see Gerrard behind Torres, rather than Keane.

One thing the game against Everton showed - Gerrard is wasted in centre midfield. How many times did he get forward? Once and that was his goal.

I think when fit Torres / Gerrard should be upfront, they are a special combination and we should build the team around them:

-----------Mascherano----------Alonso--------------

???????----------------Gerrard-----------------Riera

------------------------Torres----------------------

The key is getting the right player on the right, someone who can beat players and hurt teams (ala Ribery).

The only way I see Keane fitting into this side, as a regular (which he should be for a 20 million player), is if Gerrard goes on the right, which is highly unlikely.

I also still see Gerrard as a central midfielder. The problem we have though, is that Rafa likes his two central players to be holding players. He doesn't want them running forward and abandoning their positions and this negates a lot of Gerrard's strengths.

I can definitely see the reason that people want Gerrard playing in that advanced role but personally i'd prefer to see us playing in a style where the central midfielder has the licence to go and influence the game in the final third.

Do people seriously think that Gerrard is disciplined in central midfield because that's his style? When he plays off Torres he's the epitomy of dynamism so it doesn't make sense to think that he plays within himself when he's central for any other reason than the fact that he's told to.

I also still see Gerrard as a central midfielder. The problem we have though, is that Rafa likes his two central players to be holding players. He doesn't want them running forward and abandoning their positions and this negates a lot of Gerrard's strengths.

I can definitely see the reason that people want Gerrard playing in that advanced role but personally i'd prefer to see us playing in a style where the central midfielder has the licence to go and influence the game in the final third.

Do people seriously think that Gerrard is disciplined in central midfield because that's his style? When he plays off Torres he's the epitomy of dynamism so it doesn't make sense to think that he plays within himself when he's central for any other reason than the fact that he's told to.

Brownie I agree with all that.

But I think under Benitez, Gerrard is wasted as a central midfield because, as you say, Gerrard has to be very disciplined in that role. He doesn't have much freedom to get forward and as a result he doesn't get forward much, as the Everton game showed, the Stoke game at home and various other examples.

I think under Rafa, he should be higher up where he can win us the game, rather than stopping us losing it. Let Alonso / Mascherano control the game, let Torres / Gerrard win it.

Edited by LFD