You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guns and Fucking Roses...

Chris

The Spaghetti Incident? and Chinese Democracy are abominations. Axl should have stayed a good memory.

Exactly what my feelings are. Chinese Democracy is the biggest abomination of trying to recreate the sound of Slash using 14 different guitarists. The fact it took 14 or so years to get it made showed that they are nothing without the orginal line up. Its made up of session musicians, who are good, but they aren't Duff, Izzy, Steve and Slash.

Axl should hang his head in shame.

Slash's book is very good, I would have liked some more details on the split but all in all a good read.

They're not the best band to walk the earth. UYI should have been one album with the crap cut out so in essence they only had Appetitie and a best of Use Your Illusion. Two good albums does not make you the greatest.

Fucking Hell Chris does have some taste in music!

How fuking good is Chinese Democracy? If he wasn't such a screw ball and had actuall done something mad like....oh i don't know PROMOTING THE ALBUM A BIT this record would be being wanked all over.

I bought it with a real sense of feeling that it would be shite. I listened to it once or twice and realised a liked a few songs, then i listened some more and realised that there are quite a lot of fucking great great songs on it and only 1 or 2 i don't care for. I don't know how Axl did it, but he managed to pull it off. The songs are ridiculously overblown and crazily put together but somehow it works and I think that's mainly because Axl still has it. Mad bastard he may be, but he's a fucking good song writer and singer. Here's my fave's:

Shacklers Revenge: Just for the guitaring at the begining, awesome.

Better - Superb song, can't get it out of my head, it's a mish mash of sounds brought together by Axl's voice.

Street of Dreams - Wonderful. Really emotional and top class lyrics and vocals once more. Plus it's Axl on piano, what's not to like?!

Chinese Democracy is brilliant. People just need to go in with a bit of an open mind. He could have produced an album on the level of AFD and people would still have gone "yeah but wheres slash? its shit".

Just listen to it.

Appetite For Destruction still remains one of the best albums I've ever heard in my lifetime. It's fucking awesome.

Was disappointed with the Use Your Illusion double release. Was unique the way the did it, but it was simply a case of quantity of quality.

Their new album is fucking ace. Downloaded it for free from Amazon and expected it to be shite. Was pleasantly surprised and listen to it a lot. First three songs are fucking boss and are some of the best stuff they've ever produced.

Fucking Hell Chris does have some taste in music!

How fuking good is Chinese Democracy? If he wasn't such a screw ball and had actuall done something mad like....oh i don't know PROMOTING THE ALBUM A BIT this record would be being wanked all over.

I bought it with a real sense of feeling that it would be shite. I listened to it once or twice and realised a liked a few songs, then i listened some more and realised that there are quite a lot of fucking great great songs on it and only 1 or 2 i don't care for. I don't know how Axl did it, but he managed to pull it off. The songs are ridiculously overblown and crazily put together but somehow it works and I think that's mainly because Axl still has it. Mad bastard he may be, but he's a fucking good song writer and singer. Here's my fave's:

Shacklers Revenge: Just for the guitaring at the begining, awesome.

Better - Superb song, can't get it out of my head, it's a mish mash of sounds brought together by Axl's voice.

Street of Dreams - Wonderful. Really emotional and top class lyrics and vocals once more. Plus it's Axl on piano, what's not to like?!

Chinese Democracy is brilliant. People just need to go in with a bit of an open mind. He could have produced an album on the level of AFD and people would still have gone "yeah but wheres slash? its shit".

Just listen to it.

Repped for alarmingly high levels of correctness. The more I listen to Demorcracy the more I love it.

Appetite is one of the greatest albums ever and you could take the lesser know songs off Illusion 1 and 2 and make a belting album.

One of the best bands ever and anyone with their stupid "cock rock" comments show themselves as been utterly clueless about music. Go back to your banarama kiddos. Metalica are also ace, but better then GNR? Not a chance.

no chance don't even compare to bands such as pink floyd, the beatles, the doors, nirvana, the smiths, the stone roses, the kinks, oasis, the rolling stones, and artists like dylan, hendrix, bowie e.t.c axel rose needs to get off the toilet.

David Bowie 1969-1980 (rip) is in fact the greatest artist of all time. 12 albums in 11 years and every single one arguably a classic. On top of that playing and producing on some classic albums by other artists at the same time. Doesn't get much better.

And he's one smooth bastard

1055533942_e_thinking.jpg

But by the same token, doesn't all the shite he's produced since 1980 disqualify him from the position?

He should be shot on sight for inflicting Tin Machine on us, for example.

Surely only those who have never soiled their reputation, by bringing out anything sub-standard, should qualify as the greatest of all time?

Keeping this in mind, my vote goes to...

084037ca.jpg

You can narrow it down even further: best cock rock of 1987.

GNR were never cock rock, far from it. Infact they are despised by virtually every other hair metal band of that generation.

Jon Bon Jovi hates them with a passion. About the only one who gave them credit was David Coverdale, even though he knew it was the beginning of the end for him.

The only support they received was from the heavier side. Their biggest supporters have been the likes of Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer & Sepultura. As they were aware without the exposure of AFD a lot of their output would have been ignored. One of Slash's best friends is Dave Mustaine.