You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you ever stop supporting Liverpool?

dirty_sanchez

"Would you stop supporting Liverpool if it no longer had what made you start supporting it in the first place."

I don't know what made me support them in the first place, it has always been the case.

I also have some weird links to my birth to special Liverpool FC stories, Brian Hall was our landlord when we lived in the block of Flats in St Domingo Grove behind the Kop, I was born on 2 minutes after terry McDermott scored that peach of a goal against Spurs in that 7-0 bumming they got in 1978, and m proudest is that I share the same birth date as Bill Shankly. So it was sort of bestowed on me to support Liverpool FC.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Liverpool fan allowed this wrecking ball that we have going on to happen. David Moores.

I have also said this for about 12 months now, our own support will destroy us, our own support who are doing exactly what they did to every manager since Kenny, they are hounding them out. OK so things aren't like they were back in the great days, but do you know what our support have played their part no question about it. I am sick to the back teeth of the majority of our own support at the moment. You can't have a positive opinion without being shouted down or being called a superfan because you don't go the match as much any more, it has become tedious beyond the extreme.

Most of our support seems to be a negative aspect day in day fucking out and I am close to walking away, my passion for football is dying anyway, as it is all about money, the game has sold it's soul. I sometimes think I would be happier if we where a 3rd Division team and didn't have all this shite going round.

There is a growing majority that do not realise, even though we are in the shit financially, that we are in a privileged position. We have one of the best history's to call upon both domestic and continental, yet the greed for that 19th title, is so clouded with fear that United will overtake us and it some peoples judgement is based on panic. United have got under our skin and we have allowed it.

Records are their to be broken. Just like The Liverpool Way has been broken by two yanks, a clown and yes Rafa has played his part, but I praise him for speaking out. SOS aint no Spirit Of Shankly, they are just using his name to get people on their side. Do they honestly believe they stand for what Shankly stood for. If anything our current manager talks like Shanks did, except Rafa is accused fo using it as spin in a political game when he fondly talks about us.

Even Newcastle fans are looking over here at us in disbelief at what we are doing.

The vast majority of fans at the match get behind Rafa. People sounding off on places like this makes no difference cos he obviously doesn't come on here. I dont see how he can get hounded out by people complaining on sites that he never reads.

Football has changed and not for the better but there is no way you'd even consider abandoning the club cos of that. I'm not a massive fan of people outside of the city being able to get tickets easier than locals but that's the way the games gone and we probably need to continue that way to keep competing. None of that would ever stop me supporting them cos it's part of my life. That's not trying to make out i'm a super fan it's just a fact.

What exactly have these owners done to hinder the team? Other than bringing the world's first- or second-best striker? And meeting with Jurgen Klinsman -- which ultimately came to nothing? Sure, the stadium deal has had ups and downs, but does anyone really think the owners (or board) are so stupid as to not see the team needs a new, bigger stadium -- and fast? It'll get done -- maybe not as fast as it would if the team were owned by some hyper-billionaire Middle East collective -- but it'll get done.

Meanwhile, the fact remains that LFC is in a much better position table-wise than it has been for years, with an incredibly popular and talented striker who says and does all the right things, with over 20mill spent for Robbie Keane (however wisely or unwisely still remains to be seen), we made the Champions League semifinals last year, and we're facing Real Madrid in the knockout stage this year.

I guess my point is that I don't quite see why the adamant hatred for these owners exists. Yes, the team hasn't collected any silverware since they've been in charge and there have been embarrassing moments (mostly media-fuelled, by the way) -- but what more do people expect? This is an honest question from a relative newbie to LFC -- not meant to be antagonistic in any way.

The vast majority of fans at the match get behind Rafa. People sounding off on places like this makes no difference cos he obviously doesn't come on here. I dont see how he can get hounded out by people complaining on sites that he never reads.

Football has changed and not for the better but there is no way you'd even consider abandoning the club cos of that. I'm not a massive fan of people outside of the city being able to get tickets easier than locals but that's the way the games gone and we probably need to continue that way to keep competing. None of that would ever stop me supporting them cos it's part of my life. That's not trying to make out i'm a super fan it's just a fact.

That is another thing that pisses me off about our support, why should people out outside of Liverpool not be allowed to go the match?

What exactly have these owners done to hinder the team? Other than bringing the world's first- or second-best striker? And meeting with Jurgen Klinsman -- which ultimately came to nothing? Sure, the stadium deal has had ups and downs, but does anyone really think the owners (or board) are so stupid as to not see the team needs a new, bigger stadium -- and fast? It'll get done -- maybe not as fast as it would if the team were owned by some hyper-billionaire Middle East collective -- but it'll get done.

Meanwhile, the fact remains that LFC is in a much better position table-wise than it has been for years, with an incredibly popular and talented striker who says and does all the right things, with over 20mill spent for Robbie Keane (however wisely or unwisely still remains to be seen), we made the Champions League semifinals last year, and we're facing Real Madrid in the knockout stage this year.

I guess my point is that I don't quite see why the adamant hatred for these owners exists. Yes, the team hasn't collected any silverware since they've been in charge and there have been embarrassing moments (mostly media-fuelled, by the way) -- but what more do people expect? This is an honest question from a relative newbie to LFC -- not meant to be antagonistic in any way.

Those 3 green bars you have, say goodbye I can see them turning into 8 nasty red ones real soon mate.

No way. Even when my Anfield sausage roll turnt out to be a wet bag of gristle I just had to eat it out of loyalty. A lot of people say "if they fall out of love with football". I suppose this is based on the crazy billionaire transfer fee trend, league games abroad etc.

Those that say that should think of how football has changed in the last 10/20years. If you had read some of the stories of today back in the late 80s you might have said the same then.

Football is absolutely out of touch off its head round the bend crazy. BUT I LOVE IT!!!!

(unless they change the rules and make the goals bigger, get half a goal for a corner, let you pick the ball up and make it an indoor ice rink game)

That is another thing that pisses me off about our support, why should people out outside of Liverpool not be allowed to go the match?

They shouldn't. I'm going the Chelsea game with my bird's brother who's Irish next Sunday. However, having Irish links has shown me that it can be a lot easier to get tickets over there than for locals to get them which i'm not keen on. If you disagree then that's fair enough, my point was something like that would never lead me to even contemplate stopping supporting us.

What a load of shit. You either support us or you dont. If you'd think of fucking us off cos you disagree with what some other supporters think then you were never really a fan in the first place.

The only way it could be conceivabel i'd stop supporting them would be i they got off to London or somewhere and that's cos they wouldn't be Liverpool anymore. Obvioulsy, that wouldn't happen cos this isn't America.

it can happen here.wimbledon from london are now MK D ons from milton keynes

Ive been teetering on the edge for a while. football as a whole is mostly a crock of greedy, cheating, manipulative, over priced garbage. Add into that are off the field woes and that lot down the m62's resurgence and i wouldnt blame anyone for quitting, it just aint the same anymore.

However i think the final nail for me would be a european super league. if that happens im deffo gone.

"Would you stop supporting Liverpool if it no longer had what made you start supporting it in the first place."

I don't know what made me love football in the first place. As far back as I can remember I've loved the game.

The Liverpool I started supporting in the early 1980's is unrecognisable to the team I love now. That is probably because I’ve grown up and the world around me has changed also. However, I probably invest more into the team now (physically and emotionally and certainly financially) then at any other point. I find myself regularly very angry with the club, some fans, certainly the owners, and on occasion the managers and players, yet I’ve probably never been more of a fan now then at any other point. I’m more emotionally tethered to the club then at any point and despite not being from the area, I feel that the club is now an extension of me and I wouldn’t embarrass myself in public as I wouldn’t want to somehow bring embarrassment on the club. It seems the worst shape the club gets into, the more I refer to myself as a Liverpool fan and the more I'll try and defend it from the outside attacks. I want to do whatever I can, no matter how small, to ensure the long term future of the club. I see the “Unions” that have started and I don’t like how they’ve seemingly sat back and done nothing that they promised, however, I understand that in the background there may be a lot going on. I certainly hope so.

As we slip further and further into the black hole created by Moores and Parry I find myself like a father with a bullied child. I’ll fight to the death for the club. I hope a saviours is out there to pull us back, but I fear the saviors might just be another bloodhound.

As I said, it would take the club to change its name and move out of Liverpool for to (possibly) lose interest. That’ll never happen though.

I have just taken myself away from here and had a nice red hot bath, stuck some King Crimson on and chilled out a bit.

I have let my current high levels of frustration boil over today and deep down I don't think I would ever stop supporting Liverpool Football Club. The club has effected me since day one, when we lose it doesn't anger me as much as there are more important things in life to deal with than us losing against Reading or drawing 1-1 with Stoke, I suppose I have put it down a few places on my list of priorities.

I feel I fell out of love with the money side of the game, but not the game itself. I still watch Liverpool however I gave my season ticket up to my nephew this season. This was due to years of paying more money than I can afford going home, away and abroad. It was Athens and Parry's numbers game that finally did it for me. I spent £500 on a flight that arrived in the morning of the game and left 3 hours after the final whistle. I then had to run round like a loony looking for a ticket after not coming out in the ballot. After 20 years as a season ticket holder I finally became exhausted of knocking back mates for games of footy, weddings, holidays and not having a pot to piss in.

Me arl fella hit the nail on the head when he give his season ticket up 10 years ago when he said, "I can't be arsed spending all my money watching 22 millionaires kick a ball around half arsed."

So no, I've not fell out of love with Liverpool, I've fallen out of love with how we as fans are treated.

See that's the kind of answer I'm talking about. As far as I can see there are two types of people who support any football club, people who support them because they are their local team, and people who support them because of what the team stands for, whether that be the club's success, the club's ethics etc. You of course get combinations of both, but the way I see it, the former will stick by the club no matter what, whereas the latter are open to change if the club loses what made them love it in the first place.

You can't have a local and OOT'er difference, we don't love Liverpool FC just because you are within 10,20 50 miles of the ground.

I'm not open to change, and I live 90 minutes driver from the ground, I may nto go week in week out, but that changes nothing - I felt sick on Monday night, and didn't sleep much, all because I was gutted at drawing with Everton, I wouldn't have felt anyworse if I'd lived in Liverpool.

What made me love them in the first place, was that they were successful in the 70's and 80's - I'm not ashamed of that reason, but I've had 19 years of LFC not enjoying the same success, and the opportunity to change my mind, but no matter how bad - its the only club for me.