You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton. FA cup.

RedinSweden

I'm expecting changes but it's the nature of the changes which will determine people's mood I think.

I don't want Lucas to play as he isn't suited for the Derby at all. Mascherano can come back in that's fine, also Babel can start that's fine too. If Rafa wants to make changes then I think the following team would be fair enough:

------------Reina

Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Aurelio

Babel--Alonso--Mascherano--Riera

-----------Gerrard

------------Torres

That would be four changes which I think is fair enough.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know whether the article had any truth to it but I don't think Rafa will be that blase about such an important fixture, surely not. Gerrard should never be left out of a derby side, especially if Alonso doesn't play either, we saw what happened against fulham, it is a recipe for defeat and a heavy one to, lucas is not as good as cahill or arteta and we would struggle to win the midfield battle or create anything, even if torres started he would be feeding on scraps, with Lucas behind him. The amount of needless free kicks he gives away would have to be a concern as well. I couldn't take them knocking us out the cup if we made it easy for them by sending out weaklings like lucas into battle, without Gerrard and Alonso. Besides who is to say that the FA cup doesn't represent out best chance of a trophy and it would be nice to end Everton's season as well. Also if we lost everyone would be on a downer for Wigan and that would do our title chances more harm than good.

Based on mondays game he could justifiably make changes but I really hope he doesnt go too far. I realise footbal has changed and the stakes are very high now but I still dont fully support this treatment of such an historical tournament.

Surely by stuffing the blues it would give the the team and club a big lift for the upcoming fixtures. Better than spluttering through or even worse. I wont say it........

Shut up Pepe!

Pepe Reina insists he will have no complaints if Diego Cavalieri gets the nod in goal for this weekend's FA Cup clash with Everton.

The Spanish stopper has great memories of the competition - notably his penalty heroics when the Reds beat West Ham in the 2006 final - and would love to play in Sunday's derby.

However, boss Rafa Benitez has selected Cavalieri in all domestic cup matches so far this season – and Reina has been impressed.

He said: "I would like to play - I would be lying if I didn't say that - but I think Diego deserves it. I have a lot of respect for what he is doing.

"Diego played a great game against Preston in the last round of the FA Cup.

"It is not easy when you are not playing regularly, but he works really hard and is a great professional."

Rafa has been indicating he's going to rotate on Sunday - dunno what I make of that. I know the Wigan game is more important and if we'd have won on Monday I don't think I'd be too arsed - or indeed if it was any other team - but I am desperate for us to put them in their place on Sunday and give them a hiding. A good win would boost confidence ahead of the Wigan game too. Hopefully there won't be too much change, although I'd be surprised to see Gerrard start as he has his court case tomorrow.

I'm expecting changes but it's the nature of the changes which will determine people's mood I think.

I don't want Lucas to play as he isn't suited for the Derby at all. Mascherano can come back in that's fine, also Babel can start that's fine too. If Rafa wants to make changes then I think the following team would be fair enough:

------------Reina

-----------Gerrard

------------Torres

I would go for that team as well, a few changes but still one of our strongest line ups.

------------Reina

-----------Gerrard

------------Torres

Id say thats a stronger side than mondays.

------------------Diego

Arbeloa------Carra-----Skrtel------Aurelio

------------------Masch(just once i'd like to see the wee fella play where he was born to)

------------Lucas------Gerrard

---Yossi-------------------------Riera

-------------------Babel

or

------------------Diego

Arbeloa------Carra-----Skrtel------Aurelio

-------------Masch----Lucas

--Yossi---------------------------Riera

---------------Keane/Kuyt

----------------------Babel

Won't happen in a million years. But i feel the Cups are the only real opportunities you have to experiment. We're going to need Alonso, Agger and Torres for the League, wouldn't risk them here, same with Gerrard Really.

If this game was not against the shite I would not be at all arsed. I dont want to lose to them, more so for the week of texts rather than the trophy. Is that wrong?

I just want to win the league.

I can see where you're coming from, I didn't have the FA cup too high on the wanted list at the start of the season compared to the premiership and champions league, but Sunday afternoon could provide the spark our title challenge needs in the second half of the season, provided we win of course!

If this game was not against the shite I would not be at all arsed. I dont want to lose to them, more so for the week of texts rather than the trophy. Is that wrong?

I just want to win the league.

I know what you mean, but given our squad we really should be able to make a good go for all trophies. Its easy to let the Cup fall by the wayside in January, but when the semis and final are on the box in April and MayI always feel we should be there. Its a great trophy thats given our club some great memories.

Saying that, I think we'll win on Sunday. I think the players will be really up for it

I can't believe the apathy shown by some towards the FA Cup and the acceptance that we should be putting out a weakened side out to Everton in the competition. It honestly saddens me.

If we put out a strong side and the players actually show a bit of heart and determination then we shouldn't be worried about Everton getting a result. If we weaken the side then we've a greater chance of it going to a replay meaning an extra game or worse case scenario we get knocked by Everton at home with 6,100 of their fans celebrating.

I can't believe the apathy shown by some towards the FA Cup and the acceptance that we should be putting out a weakened side out to Everton in the competition. It honestly saddens me.

If we put out a strong side and the players actually show a bit of heart and determination then we shouldn't be worried about Everton getting a result. If we weaken the side then we've a greater chance of it going to a replay meaning an extra game or worse case scenario we get knocked by Everton at home with 6,100 of their fans celebrating.

I wonder if Rafa would rather a defeat than a replay, probably not but it wouldn't surprise me.