You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Gillett seeking $400 million investment - paper

Gillett seeking $400 million investment - paper | Football | Reuters

OTTAWA, April 18 (Reuters) - American George Gillett is seeking a partner willing to invest $400 million into a sporting empire that includes Liverpool soccer club and the Montreal Canadiens NHL team, a newspaper said on Saturday.

The French-language La Presse, citing sources involved with the proposed sale of the Canadiens, said such an investment would enable the financially-pressed businessman to hold on to the teams.

La Presse said Gillett had proposed to several business executives that they invest $400 million and become a junior partner, but had generated little interest so far.

Gillett said last month that he had hired a team of advisors to look at his assets and denied media reports he wanted to sell some of them.

"My family and I regard this possibility as the last resort. We are a lot more interested in some kind of (business) association than in the sale of the Montreal Canadiens or one of our other enterprises," Gillett told the newspaper on Friday.

Gillett owns 80.1 percent of the Canadiens and 50 percent of five-times European champions Liverpool.

Canadian media last week said would-be buyers were being asked to submit formal offers for the Canadiens and several groups had signed confidentiality agreements with the Bank of Montreal's investment banking arm.

Gillett declined to comment on the reports, saying the banking arm had yet to complete its work.

Found the original article here

Jean-Sébastien Gagnon et Vincent Brousseau-Pouliot : Gillett cherche un partenaire minoritaire dans ses trois équipes | Hockey

It's interesting as La Presse are fairly conservative and must be fairly certain of the story to run it.

I'm trying to chase is up as we speak

Hicks and Gilette bought LFC at the very peak of a boom, while in a highly leveraged position.

Now we're in a global recession. They cannot sustain ownership of LFC because the bank who financed them isn't going to roll over any loans. There'll be a fire sale, and it'll be sooner rather than later.

This is great news for Benitez, because his Champion's League pedigree means he's a cash cow. ANY owner will want the team permanently fighting for the Euro Cup, and for that reason alone, Benitez' job will be secure, and the developing relationship between the players, the fans and the manager, will be allowed to continue. Maybe the stadium issue will get sorted too, yer never know.

I'd prefer to be owned by Gillett and his men than Hicks and his men. Obviously, the ideal is both of them out.

Really?

Based on what?

Agreed that ideally we need a completely new start, but Gillett over Hicks?

I'd rather deal with someone you can see coming mile off rather than a duplicitous, devious, cowardly scrote like Gillett.

Really?

Based on what?

Agreed that ideally we need a completely new start, but Gillett over Hicks?

I'd rather deal with someone you can see coming mile off rather than a duplicitous, devious, cowardly scrote like Gillett.

Both are cunts but Hicks is the worst one and no Rafa cock sucking will make me change my mind on him. Corinthians was a disaster, he mearly fucked them up, his comments about Liverpool and Weetabix and finally the very serious pressure group and website in America set up against him speaks wonders. Gillett doesn't have that track record in sports, the only problem most on here have with him it seems are his issues with Rafa, it seems.

I want both out UEM but Hicks is the bigger cunt by far, he is also fucking illiterate and a backer of George Bush - an absolute scumbag.

If Hicks thinks your a cunt he will tell you your a cunt whereas as if Gillett thinks your a cunt he will tell you he loves you.

Like Andy said at least with Hicks you know what your getting but with Gillett there is nothing that he would be trusted with to get his end means, cash but he wouldnt let you know until he already had it.

If Hicks thinks your a cunt he will tell you your a cunt whereas as if Gillett thinks your a cunt he will tell you he loves you.

Like Andy said at least with Hicks you know what your getting but with Gillett there is nothing that he would be trusted with to get his end means, cash but he wouldnt let you know until he already had it.

Hicks thought Rafa was a cunt, and then changed his mind after the Rafa march. He is a two faced twat that will tell you what you want to hear. I cannot believe what I am reading.. Hicks - Mr Honest!

Both are cunts but Hicks is the worst one and no Rafa cock sucking will make me change my mind on him. Corinthians was a disaster, he mearly fucked them up, his comments about Liverpool and Weetabix and finally the very serious pressure group and website in America set up against him speaks wonders. Gillett doesn't have that track record in sports, the only problem most on here have with him it seems are his issues with Rafa, it seems.

I want both out UEM but Hicks is the bigger cunt by far, he is also fucking illiterate and a backer of George Bush - an absolute scumbag.

Gillett's track record in business is far worse than Hick's

And in regards to being illiterate and a back of George Bush, what that has anything to do with football I don't know?

Obviously, his history in regards to LFC and before is very well documented, and again, change would be what we should all strive for.

BUT, and you have to consider the if's and IF it came down to a straight choice between one or the other, it would be madness to vouch for Gillett as you would never know what he's about to do next in a fit of pique or on a whim.

You are talking about a fella who wanted rid of Rafa because he didn't agree with the Foster's opinion on who we should be looking to sign.

A man who tried to totally destabalise the club on the day of the game against Madrid, a time where he knew it would have maximum impact, totally without thought for the playing squad or the supporters.

Whereas the Liverpool experience has certainly taught the Hick's a lesson, and he is making efforts to treat the fanbase with a little more respect and is willing to listen and go with the will of the people on most things, just not the biggest thing.

You've mentioned the Rafa thing as if its a stick to beat him with, when the fact is, they listened to what the majority of us wanted, commited to correcting the situation, and eventually, delivered on that commitment, despite inteference from other parties.

A commitment that may very well bring Kenny Dalglish back into the club.

Whereas with Gillett, we would probably be looking at ending the season managerless and in absolute chaos, do not underestimate how much opposition he put up to Rafa getting his new contract, let alone the concessions contained within.

Gillett does not give a flying fuck, and has proved as such on numerous occasions.

I would at the least give Hicks the benefit of the doubt in regards to realising his mistakes and how much he is disliked, and, probably down to a bruised ego, has commited to learning from his mistakes and making the best of the situation.

Which, considering how bleak the situation looked only 6-7 weeks ago, could have turned out a lot worse.

In regards to them both I thinks it's certainly a case of better the devil you know.

Hicks is now a good guy? You couldn't make it up, he is absolute scum. As he has proved at the Stars, Rangers and Corinthians. Just ask their fans...

Point out where I said he's a good guy

Otherwise admit you are wrong

Stop the regression and hysterics now before it descends into nonsense

Point out where I said he's a good guy

Otherwise admit you are wrong

Stop the regression and hysterics now before it descends into nonsense

You said he makes an effort, he listens to the fans, he likes Rafa, committed to correct a situation, one that will bring Kenny back, in fact everything good that happens likes being credited to Hicks and all things bad are Gillett. I find your posts condescending UEM like you know everything that happens and the likes of me know nothing. I am going by what he has done at previous clubs, what his sons get up to when in Liverpool and how he acted when he first got here. The fact that he is clinging on by being a two faced twat with the fans and Rafa isn't lost on me at all.

I am also allowed my opinion that I prefer Gillett to Hicks - even of both are cunts and right from day one I wanted both out when other fans were happy with them.

Gillett's track record in business is far worse than Hick's

And in regards to being illiterate and a back of George Bush, what that has anything to do with football I don't know?

Obviously, his history in regards to LFC and before is very well documented, and again, change would be what we should all strive for.

BUT, and you have to consider the if's and IF it came down to a straight choice between one or the other, it would be madness to vouch for Gillett as you would never know what he's about to do next in a fit of pique or on a whim.

You are talking about a fella who wanted rid of Rafa because he didn't agree with the Foster's opinion on who we should be looking to sign.

A man who tried to totally destabalise the club on the day of the game against Madrid, a time where he knew it would have maximum impact, totally without thought for the playing squad or the supporters.

Whereas the Liverpool experience has certainly taught the Hick's a lesson, and he is making efforts to treat the fanbase with a little more respect and is willing to listen and go with the will of the people on most things, just not the biggest thing.

You've mentioned the Rafa thing as if its a stick to beat him with, when the fact is, they listened to what the majority of us wanted, commited to correcting the situation, and eventually, delivered on that commitment, despite inteference from other parties.

A commitment that may very well bring Kenny Dalglish back into the club.

Whereas with Gillett, we would probably be looking at ending the season managerless and in absolute chaos, do not underestimate how much opposition he put up to Rafa getting his new contract, let alone the concessions contained within.

Gillett does not give a flying fuck, and has proved as such on numerous occasions.

I would at the least give Hicks the benefit of the doubt in regards to realising his mistakes and how much he is disliked, and, probably down to a bruised ego, has commited to learning from his mistakes and making the best of the situation.

Which, considering how bleak the situation looked only 6-7 weeks ago, could have turned out a lot worse.

In regards to them both I thinks it's certainly a case of better the devil you know.

Not that im of the opinion that either should stay but you seem to be making out Hicks is trying his best to win fans over and currie favour for the sake of the club, he's doing it for himself and no one else. Saying 'at least with Hicks you know where you stand' does not mean he has any better intentions for the club. Both are equally as bad as each other and while id imagine you have the same opinion that post sounds like you think he is now somehow fighting Gillett for the benefit of the club.

You said he makes an effort, he listens to the fans, he likes Rafa, committed to correct a situation, one that will bring Kenny back, in fact everything good that happens likes being credited to Hicks and all things bad are Gillett. I find your posts condescending UEM like you know everything that happens and the likes of me know nothing. I am going by what he has done at previous clubs, what his sons get up to when in Liverpool and how he acted when he first got here. The fact that he is clinging on by being a two faced twat with the fans and Rafa isn't lost on me at all.

I am also allowed my opinion that I prefer Gillett to Hicks - even of both are cunts and right from day one I wanted both out when other fans were happy with them.

Point out where I said he's a good guy, unless you can I suggest you owe me an apology

I'm dealing in facts, you are getting hysterical again

I can point out on this page alone where I have stated a preference for change.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, a point that I've defended on your behalf at numerous junctures, even when it's an ill-informed attempt at attention grabbing such as the time when you labelled Real Red a Hicks Lover a few months back, again with very little understanding of the facts or justification.

You find me condescending?

You wouldn't be the only one, but I'll live with that

I suppose I'd rather have that than your faux fawning.

I'm not going to get into an argument or indulge in petty point scoring, as it is pointless and achieves little.

Point out where I said he's a good guy, unless you can I suggest you owe me an apology

I'm dealing in facts, you are getting hysterical again

I can point out on this page alone where I have stated a preference for change.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, a point that I've defended on your behalf at numerous junctures, even when it's an ill-informed attempt at attention grabbing such as the time when you labelled Real Red a Hicks Lover a few months back, again with very little understanding of the facts or justification.

You find me condescending?

You wouldn't be the only one, but I'll live with that

I suppose I'd rather have that than your faux fawning.

I'm not going to get into an argument or indulge in petty point scoring, as it is pointless and achieves little.

As someone else has pointed out above, your posts suggest (to me) that Hicks is a good guy and Gillett is scum. There is a clear preference for Hicks in my view. I don't want to talk about much else other than to reiterate that I prefer Gillette to Hicks for reasons I have suggested.

Hicks is not the good guy and i dont think anyone on here has ever protrayed him to be so.

He is the lesser of the two evils however and whilst everyone would be glad to see the back of both owners if it was a case of we had to stick with one of them then it would be Hicks although like most people i would much rather be in a position where the choice did not have to be made.

Hicks is not the good guy and i dont think anyone on here has ever protrayed him to be so.

He is the lesser of the two evils however and whilst everyone would be glad to see the back of both owners if it was a case of we had to stick with one of them then it would be Hicks although like most people i would much rather be in a position where the choice did not have to be made.

What track record in sports makes you prefer Hicks Coop?

Corinthians? Stars? Rangers?

I don't want either of them mate i wish both of them would leave the club and let someone else take over who could at least bring stability to the club.

I know exactly what Hicks track record is and i also know of Gilletts track record.

I can only speak of what both owners have been doing this last 12-18 months and that is one owner has been making arrangements to replace a Champions League winning manager with a muppet like Klinnsman whilst the other owner is at least appearing to try and say the right things.

Hicks son's behaviour when they have been over making the most of the hospitality is bang out of order but so is the non show of Gilletts because he couldnt handle the pressure.

Both owners have bitten off more then they can chew with Liverpool but don't believe Gillett for a second when he goes around saying he wants to sell for the safety of his family because he is hanging around just as long as Hicks as he wants top money for his shares and there is no way he will let them go cheap unless forced to.

As someone else has pointed out above, your posts suggest (to me) that Hicks is a good guy and Gillett is scum. There is a clear preference for Hicks in my view. I don't want to talk about much else other than to reiterate that I prefer Gillette to Hicks for reasons I have suggested.

I'll ask again

Where did I say he is a good guy?

Just because he is slightly less undesirable than George Gillett does not make him an ideal suitor.

But with a lack of an ideal and credible alternative currently on the horizon, you have to make what is best of the hand that we currently have been dealt.

I'm all for reasoned debate, which you are capable of, but I have no desire or the patience to engage in a debate which is no more than hysterical rhetoric.

Hicks is now a good guy? You couldn't make it up, he is absolute scum. As he has proved at the Stars, Rangers and Corinthians. Just ask their fans...

Fucks sake, Rash. Calm down. Of course, they are both scum.

I don't give a toss about why Hicks sided with Rafa. Gillett tried to get rid - did he think about the consequences?

You really should try and understand what people are trying to say before you go off on one.

Just out of curiosity Coop how would Andy know such a thing about Hicks ? Andy if you read this maybe you could tell us why you feel able to make such a statement.

Unless I'm suffering from memory loss, I don't remember Hicks telling us leading up to the point of the sale of the club that he was lying through his teeth to get his hand on his half of the club.

The only time we "knew what we were getting with Hicks" and Gillett was when the deal had been done and we learned just how far they'd both go to get what they want.

Their both as bad as each other and I'm sick of all this shit. Its been going on since the day they signed the deal for the club.

How many threads ? How many posts ? people claiming to have inside info on whats going on. The only thing that we seem to know for certain is the refinance deadline with RBS. The only people who know how this whole sorry mess will end are Gillett and Hicks.

Andy I just read your post previous page which seemed to me to be telling us Hicks is the good guy in all this. It came across as you know the man personally and what you wrote was fact and not opinion.

I may have taken your words out of context but its just the way it came across.