You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

Both coops, Didn't he say he will be here for the next 5 years, although he couldn't speak for GG though. He also said his stake has never been for sale.

Not that i know anything so don't take my word for gospel but thats bollocks about his share not being for sale as many people within not just the financial sector of this country but that of America and the Middle East will tell you that they will have been offered at least some of Hicks shares.

SOS fell for Hicks PR when they jumped at the chance to meet Rafa.

I suppose you could call using money raised by memberships to take themselves to Ireland as "something up their sleeves"

Pretty much. I like the idea of a union, but I'm becoming a bit disillusioned about it all. The idea that it can be influenced by someone at the club with their own agenda is not on at all. I don't like the fact that there doesn't seem to be full disclosure either.

Imagine you'd leaped into TH's or GG's body as a sort of Quantum Leap Sam, just at the height of the Rafa marches and so on.

It was a relief to be there, clothed, given the poolside adventure you'd just leaped from. Again. But what to do with this thermometer?

Anyway, after a while Al and you work out with the help of Ziggy that "you" have got to stop being a twat to LFC somehow.

Whatever "you" had done up until now, which was unpopular, "you" had to try and do the right thing now. And Ziggy said "you" couldn't just walk away from LFC, or give your stake away, because you'd only leap straight back into that Michael Barrymore adventure that won't just fuck off.

You've still got to make an effort to make a profit. And you can't sell to these Arabs because Ziggy said they were in the pool too. No, wait, they weren't. But Ziggy doesn't trust them. And that's final.

So. "You" fucked up with this Klinsmann thing and "you" borrowed a lot of money. You can't change the past but you've now got the chance to put things right.

What would you do?

Change channels. That all made my brain bleed.

Imagine you'd leaped into TH's or GG's body as a sort of Quantum Leap Sam, just at the height of the Rafa marches and so on.

It was a relief to be there, clothed, given the poolside adventure you'd just leaped from. Again. But what to do with this thermometer?

Anyway, after a while Al and you work out with the help of Ziggy that "you" have got to stop being a twat to LFC somehow.

Whatever "you" had done up until now, which was unpopular, "you" had to try and do the right thing now. And Ziggy said "you" couldn't just walk away from LFC, or give your stake away, because you'd only leap straight back into that Michael Barrymore adventure that won't just fuck off.

You've still got to make an effort to make a profit. And you can't sell to these Arabs because Ziggy said they were in the pool too. No, wait, they weren't. But Ziggy doesn't trust them. And that's final.

So. "You" fucked up with this Klinsmann thing and "you" borrowed a lot of money. You can't change the past but you've now got the chance to put things right.

What would you do?

Bum Amanda Stavley.

Read this article on Canada's CBC, which says Gillette has put his NHL team the Montreal Canadians up for sale. I saw a news reports yesterday that said the Gillette's are considering all their assets and that Gillette's investment portfolio requires significant diversification because it is solely based on entertainment.

Canadiens for sale?

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Still? She'll not wait forever.

Tight bitch won't pay first class

And as you know, I only ever travel first class

Tom Hicks has a little money problem, but don’t we all | Jennifer Floyd Engel | Star-Telegram.com

Tom Hicks is not broke, or struggling financially, or whatever euphemism we use nowadays for uberly wealthy types who are slightly less so in this global economic mess, which I am personally blaming on AIG because why not?

He has money. His money is just tied up in stuff.

Which is a problem because reports resurfaced on Wednesday that he’s facing a July deadline to refinance or repay his half of a really, really big loan made in happier financial times that helped him co-buy Liverpool FC of the English Premier League.

Did I mention it is a $368.2 million financing package?

Or that banks have already granted a six-month extension? Or that the Royal Bank of Scotland reportedly has serious financial problems that make another extension unlikely?

People with more financial know-how than me call this having a cash-flow problem, which might explain why Hicks has begun soliciting investors for just-barely-minority stakes in the Rangers. He’s willing to give up as much as 49 percent of the team divvied among a couple of mini Hicks-es, if he has his way.

"It’s not a big deal at all. I don’t think I need to own 95 percent of any team," Hicks told reporters in Surprise, Ariz., on Wednesday. "In times like these, you like to reduce your debt and diversify your investments."

Hicks calls this a way to be "prudent about the economy." I call this a phenomenal opportunity with a big "if."

If all of this cash is not simply being raised to help him with this looming balloon payment and thereby stay in the cash cow that is European soccer.

Do not bother e-mailing me, Liverpool friends.

He’s not selling y’all, not now, not anytime soon. Not if he can help it.

He’s going to hold on across the pond until a new stadium is built and an already good investment becomes a cash cow with growth potential in a Fox Sports Southwest type of deal. Nothing personal, just good business.

And while the Bash-Hicks-No-Matter-What crowd is not going to think the worst and assume this is just about Liverpool, especially with news of a $20 million payroll slash in Rangersland, I am still holding out hope that maybe Hicks is just adding partners. With money. Because that is what is best for the Rangers.

Because Hicks becomes a much smarter owner when flush with cash. Everybody loves that Hicks.

So sell to Dubya. Or Cuban. Or whoever wants to be a partial owner of a really good Triple-A team with potential and, then in a little bit, do likewise for the Stars.

Of course, this necessitates two caveats:

1. Hicks has to retain majority control, and;

2. He has to jump into bed with the right people.

As he hopefully has learned from Liverpool, a good investment that has quickly devolved into an ugly smack-down with co-owner George Gillette Jr., a 50-50 division of power usually leads to ugly.

As do poorly chosen bedfellows.

Hicks already has a perfect co-owner targeted in el Presidente Nolan Ryan. What he needs to add is an actual former President. Let idiots everywhere else hate on Dubya. We here in Texas understand he’s a helluva baseball owner. He’d actually be a perfect commish for baseball, much better than Bud Selig.

What I love about former President George W. Bush as a possible co-owner of your Rangers is he brings a little desperation. He has an approval rating to re-inflate and what better way than by helping get Josh Hamilton re-signed. He’ll be pushing spend, spend and more spend.

And what about Mavs owner Mark Cuban? Or Jerry Jones?

Partial ownership provides Cuban with a way of wiggling around Jerry Reinsdorf and his band of baseball morons who thwarted his Cub-buying efforts, as well as giving him an avenue to be a pain in baseball’s butt. While Jerry and Hicks have formed a fine friendship.

And if Jerry were not experiencing a little cash-flow situation himself, he’d be a perfect minority owner.

Does it have a sugar-daddy feel? A little.

Better that than Hicks completely selling and leaving your Stars and Rangers in the hands of God only knows who, which might just be a possibility if this really is about that July payment. I am not sure he can get that much for 49 percent of this Rangers team.

He has tried before with talk of Hicks flirting with investors surfaced last summer. And it really goes back to 2002 when he actively sought offers to buy his whole hockey team.

Of course, are you really selling when a price tag is overpriced?

His lack of ability to sell all 100 percent will come as a disappointment to many. He’s reviled as cheap by many fans, after he had a come-to-Jesus money moment with himself thanks to a certain $252 million roid user who most recently has turned up in posed pics doing, what else, kissing his image in a mirror. Which may explain why he’s also been linked to, ahem, how shall we say, pay dates.

Yes, AFraud ruined everything and Hicks has not been the same since.

Adding a few friends with money is exactly what he and his Rangers need, with another caveat. As long as all of this money is not simply for July and for Liverpool.

Jennifer Floyd Engel, 817-390-7760

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has confirmed that he is ready to sell part of his share in baseball team Texas Rangers.

Hicks, who holds a 95 per cent stake in the Rangers, co-owns the Anfield giants with George Gillett and has further sporting interests in NHL outfit Dallas Stars.

Hicks revealed his plans at Rangers' spring training camp and admitted he was also looking to sell minority shares in the Stars.

"I've been quietly looking for minority investors to come back into the ownership of the Rangers as a way to be prudent in a bad economy," he told Major League Baseball's official website.

New partners

"I'm doing the same thing with the Stars. At the end of the day, I'll still have 51-to-60 per cent of the ballclub and have new partners. That doesn't change anything.

"I own 95 per cent of the Rangers. I started out owning 55 per cent and over the past 10 years I've been slowly buying out partners that wanted to sell. There's no reason to own 95 per cent. There aren't many owners who own 95 per cent."

Earlier this week it was reported Gillett was considering selling some of his sporting assets, which also include the Montreal Canadiens NHL franchise.

Gillett later made it clear that despite assessing his assets, he had no plans to sell his stake in Liverpool.

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Hicks plans Rangers sale

Guest Kenny

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has stepped up his bid to sell his 50% stake in the club, instructing financial giants Merrill Lynch to find a buyer. (Daily Mirror)

People need to get a grip here. They can't get buyers to pay the crazy amount that they want for us.

So what do our owners do in the last week. Release info that first gillete is looking to sell his hockey team then Hicks is looking for investors for his dallas team. On top of this they get Rafa onto a new contract.

Why have they done this?? To look like that they are not desparate to sell.

They will never get investors on board due to the fact that firstly the economy in the USA is in a mess and that there's no money there even if they did manage to sell a stake it would be on the buyers terms. On top of this they don't have enough equity in their teams over there.

They will re-finance the club and have no problems doing so. They will also part sell some of their other assets to keep afloat. Let there be no mistake unlike the crazy bastard Moores, these two sure as hell know the value of Liverpool Football Club and won't sell for a penny less. If they can get the stadium done or up and running and get through the recesssion they could ask for nearly £1Bn for us such is our name and stature.

This is purely my own opinion.

If both owners manage to refinance it will be thanks to them selling some of their other assets to find the money for the increased guarantees that RBS will ask for.

RBS will not just easily refinance the loan as they are under far stricter guidelines then they were when the initial loan terms were agreed.

Lets not forget Gillett needed to take out a private loan last time to meet these requirements.

Lets just say however they manage to to get the new loan, then what.

They can not afford another £300 million on top to build a new stadium so basically all the new refinance will have done is bought them time to try and get through the 'credit crunch'.

Hicks can afford to do this hence him in no rush to sell up but Gillett does not have the wealth of Hicks and he is struggling to keep pace although he will not go cheaply and will hang on himself as much as he can.

I would imagine the movement of both owners to appear to be willing to sell their other assets is more of a way of telling any potential buyers that they will not accept a low price as they are not that desperate for cash.