You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
the briefing against the manager by these PR fuckers in London is sickening

You'd think the press would be wise to it now

You'd think the press would be wise to it now

What makes you think they aren't? They know the score. Truth is not their objective though, never has been. The British press has been completely subjugated to the twin goals of outrageous indignation and circulation.

What makes you think they aren't? They know the score. Truth is not their objective though, never has been. The British press has been completely subjugated to the twin goals of outrageous indignation and circulation.

Agreed, but you'd think they would at least stand it up with Hick's people before running it, otherwise they could be made to look a bit silly

Which is now likely to happen

i wonder where we would be now if Rafa had walked or just kept silent? I personally think we would be fucked and Rafa has had to go public to keep the fans in the loop.

I'm glad he came out with it, but I'm not sure about the effect it has had. It was just made it public to the gobshites that pretend nothing is wrong all the time, which marginally helped. Still seems a lot of people are largely apathetic, and as far as they're concerned haven't done much wrong.

I'm glad he came out with it, but I'm not sure about the effect it has had. It was just made it public to the gobshites that pretend nothing is wrong all the time, which marginally helped. Still seems a lot of people are largely apathetic, and as far as they're concerned haven't done much wrong.

That's the problem i think he had to do it which has caused problems but the positives will hopefully come later. We have taken 1 step back to go 2 steps forward yet have still managed to storm europe and do reasonably well in the league

A manager should not have to do what rafa has done but he is the only one with any balls or clout. I cant wait to see how well he does with no external problems.

you'd think that most of the supporters would be by now as well....

True

But to be fair, most, on here at least are

I don't believe there's equilibrium in boardroom. Just one side making a noise and trying to scapegoat the manager.

Before it was take it or leave it, now it's we've agreed to everything, it's all the manager's fault. Sorry it's as transparent as glass.

And could be made to look very silly, very soon

Yeah, thats pretty much what I was getting at. It has been SoS's biggest enemy and I am sick of seeing people taking pictures on marches like its a fucking match day attraction. I wish we would do one every game.

SoS's biggest enemy is the inherent contradiction of consumer action against a team we love.

There is no answer to it that is legal.

If no-one went to the ground & no-one watched on TV until they sold they would leave or lose money

That isn't however realistic to most of us.

You have a season ticket so give the Yanks £x a year.

I do not mean this disrespectfully at all, as i still go to games (less than you, i'm OOT) & watch us on TV.

It is just a pity that having identified our biggest enemy, you don't seem to recognise a man who could treble his salary elsewhere is actually our biggest ally.

To my mind there would be two reasons that Rafa would be given a 5 year contract by these two

1) They would need to be unified in the public eye before they went to the banks to get the loan sorted that they need to do before the start of next season

2) They would need a manager tied to a contract in order to sell the club to a new owner so that there would be continuity on the playing side while there was change at board level

i think that the 2nd would be more likely in this case and i think both Hicks and Gillet would now be happy to sell as this would be there only investment that has gone up in price over the last 2 years and they would both like the money so that they can do what they do best buy companies in need at a low price and make money either asset stripping or selling when the market picks up either way they can only do this with ready cash

or maybe it is a case of heart ruling head in my case and wanting them out

And could be made to look very silly, very soon

So, Mr Kelso, how do we go from this................

Liverpool begin hunt for Rick Parry's successor - Telegraph

Liverpool begin hunt for Rick Parry's successor

Liverpool's search for a new chief executive to replace Rick Parry began in earnest this week, with club co-owner George Gillett travelling to London to interview headhunters about the post.

By Paul Kelso

Last Updated: 7:58AM GMT 18 Mar 2009

Several firms will be consulted including Paul Nolan, whose company identified new Football Association chief executive Ian Watmore, and Simon Cummins, of Odgers, who has been involved in several high-profile sports appointments in recent years.

Gillett's hands-on involvement in the process is a clear indication that, like co-owner Tom Hicks, he is planning to remain involved with the club in the medium term.

Both owners have been involved in discussions with potential investors in recent months but the depth of the recession has prompted a growing acknowledgement that an imminent sale of either man's stake in the club is unlikely.

Gillett rejected a recent attempt by Kuwaiti investors the Al-Kharafi family to secure his stake at a knock-down price, and he is understood to remain committed to the club. Relations with Hicks are also said to have improved significantly in recent weeks and the pair will work together on the chief executive appointment.

With a measure of equilibrium in the boardroom, the most destabilising influence at Anfield is Rafael Benitez and his failure to sign a new contract. The owners have met all his demands and the contract has been redrafted at least eight times, but still he refuses to sign.

With every day that passes the suspicion grows that the Spaniard is stalling in anticipation of an offer from Real Madrid, and will use the uncertainty over Liverpool's future ownership as an excuse should he decide to walk.

To this in less than 24 hours

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez signs Anfield contract until 2014 - Telegraph

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez signs Anfield contract until 2014

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has finally ended speculation over his future, signing a four-year contract extension worth around £20 million that will keep him at Anfield until 2014.

By Paul Kelso, chief sports reporter

Last Updated: 11:54PM GMT 18 Mar 2009

After months of tortured negotiations that have seen the contract redrafted at least eight times, Benitez and the American co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, finally agreed terms yesterday afternoon.

The removal of chief executive Rick Parry, who leaves in May, is understood to have been the key in persuading Benitez to extend a relationship that began in 2004.

Parry’s exit was announced just after the first leg of the Champions League tie with Real Madrid, and once the second leg and the Premier League visit to Manchester United were completed with handsome victories, Benitez decided to end the uncertainty.

The deal was closed with a series of faxes and telephone conversations between the Spaniard’s advisers and the Americans. Frustration at Benitez’s prevarication has been growing, with some connected with the club suspecting he was holding out for an offer from Real Madrid.

Benitez has repeatedly used the contract negotiations to enhance his position at Anfield. He has often raised the stakes, twice publicly rejecting contract offers on the eve of crucial league matches since January.

He has also quibbled over detail, demanding that the contract be paid in euros, then sterling, and seeking a clause that allows him to leave if the club is sold and he does not like the new owners.

“My heart is with Liverpool Football Club, so I’m delighted to sign this new deal,’’ Benitez said last night. “I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying.”

“It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club,’’ said Hicks. Gillett said: “With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch.”

I would suggest that, the next time that little prick tell's you something, you at least check the story with the clubs other co-owner.

Because he's made you look like a bit of a tit

So, Mr Kelso, how do we go from this................

To this in less than 24 hours

I would suggest that, the next time that little prick tell's you something, you at least check the story with the clubs other co-owner.

Because he's made you look like a bit of a tit

He is without doubt a Jaimie Kanwar!