You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

Sometimes as well reporters are only voicing an opinion, particularly when they are being interviewed by Sky or TalkShite or whatever.

Any time someone with serious interest gets involved, chances are their bid appeals more to one owner than the other. Hicks is probably glad to take an offer that sees him stay on board in some way, with some kind of promise of future profits from the stadium. Gillett probably just wants to fuck off with as big a bag of dollars as he can.

Each bid will be fronted by someone like Amanda Staveley, Keith Harris or Rod Hull. And they want their cut. Look at how much Seymour Pearce would have allegedly got from their attempts to get Kuwait to buy the club.

Each bid would, before now, have meant something different for Rick Parry, both personally and in terms of his feelings for what it meant for the club (or not, if you don't think that mattered to him).

You even get a touch of back-stabbing from people who might have an axe to grind with one of the bidders or their fixers.

I don't think we'll miss out on qualifying this season, hopefully as a top-three side too so we don't need to worry about the qualifiers.

And I think at least Gillett will be gone by this time next season.

I agree about gillett but i've got a feeling we're stuck with hicks for the foreseeable future.

In terms of prize money, its all onthe UEFA site, but as you point out, there is also increased gate money and sponsorship too.

I see the ref for tonights game is the one who was with us at Inter last season. Hopefully a good omen.

Being a glass half empty type of guy, I see that as a bad thing. He was given a load of shit for that sending off last season, so I would imagine he'll be keen not to give us anything unless someone is actually shot through the knees.

If it is true, I can only see one reason for it - they don't trust Rafa to spend the money wisely.

As Barry mentioned above, the whole business model revolves around 2 things - CL qualification and new stadium. We know the new stadium is out of the window so the yanks will be desperate to hold onto the CL qualification. If we finish outside the CL, not only the yanks don't make any money, they will most likely be servicing the debt from their pockets.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. If they don't trust Rafa then why offer him the new contract. Why not just tell him it along with the other contracts will be sorted in the summer?

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. If they don't trust Rafa then why offer him the new contract. Why not just tell him it along with the other contracts will be sorted in the summer?

Because they see signing up benitez as a popular choice amongst fans and they think by giving him what he wants will win the fans around.

it's why gillett wants out, because he knows he can't afford it. He's seeing with his own eye's now why Moores and Parry wanted outside investment, instead of thinking all I've got to do is borrow a load of money and everything will be coolio and I'll make bundles.

Thats what happens when you take the same amount of time it takes to soft boil an egg in conducting due dilligence

I don't think we'll miss out on qualifying this season, hopefully as a top-three side too so we don't need to worry about the qualifiers.

And I think at least Gillett will be gone by this time next season.

Have they switched that to just the top two yet?

yeah and he'd have probably got away with it if it wasn't for the credit crunch.

That scares me.

Just had a look on RAWK and someone has mentioned that we all seem to have forgotton that Torres and Babel were also brought with another loan which needs to be paid back.

If true this falls in with the rumour that Rafa gave an off the record account that the money from the Keane sale is not going to be available in the summer as was promised to him in January. So if that needs to be paid back on top of the interest we're fucked!

That scares me.

Just had a look on RAWK and someone has mentioned that we all seem to have forgotton that Torres and Babel were also brought with another loan which needs to be paid back.

If true this falls in with the rumour that Rafa gave an off the record account that the money from the Keane sale is not going to be available in the summer as was promised to him in January. So if that needs to be paid back on top of the interest we're fucked!

I'm not sure what happened with Torres and Babel. I seem to remember they took out a loan before they got the current one for something like "ongoing costs" which I think included trasfer fees etc. I am almost certain that was rolled into the £350m they got in Jan 2008 - of which £245m went on them and the other £105m on the club. Of that £105m, £60m was supposed to be startup costs for the stadium, I have no idea if they've been able to spew this on something else.

Kuwait investor says Liverpool bid depends on price

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:37pm GMT

Email | Print |

| Single Page

[-] Text [+]

By Rania El Gamal

KUWAIT, March 10 (Reuters) - A group of investors including a member of Kuwait's al-Kharafi business family could revive interest in Premier League soccer club Liverpool if owners lower the asking price, according to one of the investors.

In January, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, Liverpool's American owners, were in talks to sell the club for 500 million pounds ($711.2 million), including debt to the group of Kuwaiti and non-Kuwaiti investors.

Refad al-Kharafi told Reuters his investor group could be interested if the owners were willing to negotiate their valuation, but "it remained a group decision".

"This is a good opportunity if the price is right... If they changed the price, probably investors (in general) will be interested," Kharafi said on Monday.

The original negotiations broke down as the price was "not realistic today" given the global economic downturn and lack of liquidity, he said.

"Last time we talked with them was at the end of January. Their price did not change til today. It's not reasonable," he said.

He did not identify the other group members.

Kuwait investor says Liverpool bid depends on price

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:37pm GMT

Email | Print |

| Single Page

[-] Text [+]

By Rania El Gamal

KUWAIT, March 10 (Reuters) - A group of investors including a member of Kuwait's al-Kharafi business family could revive interest in Premier League soccer club Liverpool if owners lower the asking price, according to one of the investors.

In January, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, Liverpool's American owners, were in talks to sell the club for 500 million pounds ($711.2 million), including debt to the group of Kuwaiti and non-Kuwaiti investors.

Refad al-Kharafi told Reuters his investor group could be interested if the owners were willing to negotiate their valuation, but "it remained a group decision".

"This is a good opportunity if the price is right... If they changed the price, probably investors (in general) will be interested," Kharafi said on Monday.

The original negotiations broke down as the price was "not realistic today" given the global economic downturn and lack of liquidity, he said.

"Last time we talked with them was at the end of January. Their price did not change til today. It's not reasonable," he said.

He did not identify the other group members.

Does that mean it did change today? Hard to understand somewhat - i wish these arabs spoke good english

Have they switched that to just the top two yet?

They changed the system so that the lesser known teams of Europe can have a better chance of getting to the group stages which also means the top three teams from England,Spain and Italy go straight into the group stages next season.

Guest Kenny

Liverpool begin hunt for Rick Parry's successor - Telegraph

Liverpool begin hunt for Rick Parry's successor

Liverpool's search for a new chief executive to replace Rick Parry began in earnest this week, with club co-owner George Gillett travelling to London to interview headhunters about the post.

By Paul Kelso

Last Updated: 7:58AM GMT 18 Mar 2009

Several firms will be consulted including Paul Nolan, whose company identified new Football Association chief executive Ian Watmore, and Simon Cummins, of Odgers, who has been involved in several high-profile sports appointments in recent years.

Gillett's hands-on involvement in the process is a clear indication that, like co-owner Tom Hicks, he is planning to remain involved with the club in the medium term.

Both owners have been involved in discussions with potential investors in recent months but the depth of the recession has prompted a growing acknowledgement that an imminent sale of either man's stake in the club is unlikely.

Gillett rejected a recent attempt by Kuwaiti investors the Al-Kharafi family to secure his stake at a knock-down price, and he is understood to remain committed to the club. Relations with Hicks are also said to have improved significantly in recent weeks and the pair will work together on the chief executive appointment.

With a measure of equilibrium in the boardroom, the most destabilising influence at Anfield is Rafael Benitez and his failure to sign a new contract. The owners have met all his demands and the contract has been redrafted at least eight times, but still he refuses to sign.

With every day that passes the suspicion grows that the Spaniard is stalling in anticipation of an offer from Real Madrid, and will use the uncertainty over Liverpool's future ownership as an excuse should he decide to walk.

Liverpool's search for a new chief executive to replace Rick Parry began in earnest this week, with club co-owner George Gillett travelling to London to interview headhunters about the post.

By Paul Kelso

Several firms will be consulted including Paul Nolan, whose company identified new Football Association chief executive Ian Watmore, and Simon Cummins, of Odgers, who has been involved in several high-profile sports appointments in recent years.

Gillett's hands-on involvement in the process is a clear indication that, like co-owner Tom Hicks, he is planning to remain involved with the club in the medium term.

Both owners have been involved in discussions with potential investors in recent months but the depth of the recession has prompted a growing acknowledgement that an imminent sale of either man's stake in the club is unlikely.

Gillett rejected a recent attempt by Kuwaiti investors the Al-Kharafi family to secure his stake at a knock-down price, and he is understood to remain committed to the club. Relations with Hicks are also said to have improved significantly in recent weeks and the pair will work together on the chief executive appointment.

With a measure of equilibrium in the boardroom, the most destabilising influence at Anfield is Rafael Benitez and his failure to sign a new contract. The owners have met all his demands and the contract has been redrafted at least eight times, but still he refuses to sign.

With every day that passes the suspicion grows that the Spaniard is stalling in anticipation of an offer from Real Madrid, and will use the uncertainty over Liverpool's future ownership as an excuse should he decide to walk.[/QUOTE]

That's blatantly Gillett's PR team at work.

By Paul Kelso

With every day that passes the suspicion grows that the Spaniard is stalling in anticipation of an offer from Real Madrid, and will use the uncertainty over Liverpool's future ownership as an excuse should he decide to walk.[/QUOTE]

That's blatantly Gillett's PR team at work.

Good spot, I didn't think it sounded right

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
What part is wrong? The bit about him not signing the comtract or the bit about him having several drafts? Just curious.

The part about him being the only destabilising influence at the club

That bit

The bit that has been fed to Kelso by the PR team of the one man would love to see the back of Rafa but hasn't the balls to come out and say it publically

What part is wrong? The bit about him not signing the comtract or the bit about him having several drafts? Just curious.

I don't believe there's equilibrium in boardroom. Just one side making a noise and trying to scapegoat the manager.

Before it was take it or leave it, now it's we've agreed to everything, it's all the manager's fault. Sorry it's as transparent as glass.

The little shit is most likely here in london trying to sell his stake but gives a interview to a newspaper to make it out that he's shagging hicks again and everythings fine again. Even though the little shit had a dig at Rafa about his fergie rant.

I'll say it again but forget hicks but this cunt is a cunt of cunts.