You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

I love the comparisons to Houllier, lets remember we used to lose 10 league games a season under him and also were knocked out of the CL group stages by Basel. Parry was CEO during all that too

it's pretty clear who has improved the football side of things over the last 4/5 years beyond recognition

It's not - it's secured against G&H's other assets. ONly the £105m is secured against LFC.

That's what we've been told - I don't believe it for one moment.

It might be RBS but I doubt that even they would have been lax enough to lend money to a holding company which isn't secured against its subsidiaries and all assets of the group.

That's what we've been told - I don't believe it for one moment.

It might be RBS but I doubt that even they would have been lax enough to lend money to a holding company which isn't secured against its subsidiaries and all assets of the group.

Hicks is quoted as saying something like he should shoot his lawters over it because they allowed the clause to go in there. It's what started the fall out with him and the others when G&H tried to refinance.

Hicks is quoted as saying something like he should shoot his lawters over it because they allowed the clause to go in there. It's what started the fall out with him and the others when G&H tried to refinance.

The clause he was on about was in the share sale contract - something to do with the directors having a veto over the club's borrowing so he had to borrow through the holding company which meant giving some personal guarantees.

I think this was all window dressing as RBS would have been stupid/negligent to lend to a holding company which has no assets other than its subsidiary (the club) without security against the subsidiary and its assets. Banks always want belt and braces so they wouldn't have relied just on guarantees.

I love the comparisons to Houllier, lets remember we used to lose 10 league games a season under him and also were knocked out of the CL group stages by Basel. Parry was CEO during all that too

it's pretty clear who has improved the football side of things over the last 4/5 years beyond recognition

I agree with that, under rafa we can look devoid of ideas but at least we manage to win or draw at worst, houlliers last years were painfully bad.

The clause he was on about was in the share sale contract - something to do with the directors having a veto over the club's borrowing so he had to borrow through the holding company which meant giving some personal guarantees.

I think this was all window dressing as RBS would have been stupid/negligent to lend to a holding company which has no assets other than its subsidiary (the club) without security against the subsidiary and its assets. Banks always want belt and braces so they wouldn't have relied just on guarantees.

Maybe. To be honest, I'm not arsed anyway. If the bank takes the club back, they will just sell it as a job lot ASAP, especially as the bank is pretty much government owned now.

I haven't trusted Rafa for a while, and he has been using the fans for a good long while to further his agenda of strengthening his position, I always found it strange that he invited members of SOS to Melwood and cozyed up to them.
Thats because he did it with the blessing of Hicks. Hicks told Rafa to invite SOS to a meeting, then ask them to ease off with the protests. SOS fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Do you honestly think Rafa attended a four hour meeting with SOS, the very people who were doing their uppermost to run H+G out the club, without the say so of at least one of the Yanks ?

This post by Carra_is_legend sums it up very well as to why Rafa had no right to attend that meeting.

Agree. I will go one step ahead of you and say that if Rafa carries on the way he has been recently (using the press to constantly stir up the shit about his contract, his open friendship with Hicks etc), he can fuck off too.I was a fan of LFC before Rafa Benitez came in and I will be a fan after he goes.[/quoteIT]

If Hicks gets full control of the club Rafa best watch his back. As soon as he has a go at his boss in public, (it will only be a matter of time) Hicks will sack him. Rafa will walk into a top job and we'll be left with uncle Tom.

The whole situation makes me fucking sick.

Hicks, Gillette, Parry, Moores, Rafa, fuck off out of my club.

Thats what I feared when I first heard it, and the next meeting was basically they're saying we're convinced Benitez is the right man for the job. I think the union is a great idea, but that did make me uncomfortable especially when the link with Hicks was brought up a month or two later and now the fact that Benitez told us to stop protesting (which seemingly wasn't communicated in any agenda I've seen, though I could be wrong/forgetful there).

Fuck them all, my opinion of Rafa is so low right now.

Thats because he did it with the blessing of Hicks. Hicks told Rafa to invite SOS to a meeting, then ask them to ease off with the protests. SOS fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Do you honestly think Rafa attended a four hour meeting with SOS, the very people who were doing their uppermost to run H+G out the club, without the say so of at least one of the Yanks ?

This post by Carra_is_legend sums it up very well as to why Rafa had no right to attend that meeting.

Agree. I will go one step ahead of you and say that if Rafa carries on the way he has been recently (using the press to constantly stir up the shit about his contract, his open friendship with Hicks etc), he can fuck off too.I was a fan of LFC before Rafa Benitez came in and I will be a fan after he goes.[/quoteIT]

If Hicks gets full control of the club Rafa best watch his back. As soon as he has a go at his boss in public, (it will only be a matter of time) Hicks will sack him. Rafa will walk into a top job and we'll be left with uncle Tom.

The whole situation makes me fucking sick.

Hicks, Gillette, Parry, Moores, Rafa, fuck off out of my club.

Get fucking real lad, what makes Gillette and Parry have a right and Rafa not.

I agree with you, but this Rafa/Hicks alliance isn't a new thing, it's been going on for fucking ages. I remember Bascombe got absolutely crucified for writing it, but it's true and has been for some time.

That big speech Hicks came out with demanding Parry's resignation? Where do you think most of that came from? Rafa, and whatsmore Parry is fully aware of it. As you say, Hicks wants Parry out to get control, he doesn't care about whatever cock ups Parry has made. I emailed Hicks jr after Athens and gave him the full works on all Parry's fuck ups, but they didn't want to know.

It was only when Parry's alliance with Gillett began to pose them problems, they decided he had to go. It's all about getting him out, and Ian Ayre in so they have an extra vote and an edge over Gillett. Hicks and Rafa share a common goal, they want Parry out. But if they achieve that, what then? Hicks and Rafa won't walk off into the sunset and live happily ever after, that's for sure.

Anyone who thinks everything will be hunky dory if we can just get rid of Parry is living in cloud cuckoo land. Yes, he has to go, but not before Gillett and Hicks as far as I'm concerned.

In short, we are fucked.

I agree that he wants to win the league, for himself as much as us though.

Anything else would be bizarre.

The situation at the top of the club is almost as bad as it can be. Rafa leaving in the summer would be the only thing that could top it, especially if he went to Man City.

Get fucking real lad, what makes Gillette and Parry have a right and Rafa not.
Like I keep fucking asking. What good did the four hour meeting do to assist the union in getting the owners out the club.

The last I knew Rafa was employed by the club to manage the team. Not act as a messenger/mediator for Hicks.

Like I said lets see what happens if Hicks gets full control. Then lets see who needs to get fucking real.

The way things are going financially, I doubt Hicks would be pushing to give Benitez a new contract so that he can waste ten million axing him straight afterwards by the way. Apart from that, I think it's a marriage of convenience between them: I doubt either likes the other very much.

Dave, you said Parry needs to go after the yanks, but they're going nowhere as things stand and this political infighting is fucking the club up. I'm half convinced it would be better to get rid of Parry now and let the club be run a bit smoother since they're not going to be got rid of any time soon.

I'd love to get the four of them together in a room and just bang their fucking heads together and tell them to stop acting like fucking kids.

If the four are Moores, Parry, Hicks, and Gillet fuck banging there heads together, just blow the room up.

We need a complete clear out but I have lost faith in it happening. I have not gave in I just feel nothing is getting done to force this to happen. Moores has got off scott free and he is the biggest culprit in all this, he sits there lording it up ahhhhhhhh. Total and utter cunts the lot of them.

Rafa has spent quite a bit of money since the Americans came in and has publically asked for more so we can safely say that he like any manager isn't concerned where the money comes from or if the club gets into debt doing it - who can blame him? His remit is success not balance sheets.

The original question is interesting, if Rafa had to go with the two Americans it would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water but I'd take that if it got us out of debt and we had owners that cared for us. I'd take that if it meant these public spats ended and the politics finished.

It is disturbing that Rafa has been so close to an owner the fans really hate especially as that guy is the one who blocked the 2nd DIC bid in order to hang on. But what is he meant to do? He loves the club, he wants to stay, and he sees the only way he can do that is being close to one of them. I'd do the same.

The way things are going financially, I doubt Hicks would be pushing to give Benitez a new contract so that he can waste ten million axing him straight afterwards by the way. Apart from that, I think it's a marriage of convenience between them: I doubt either likes the other very much.

Dave, you said Parry needs to go after the yanks, but they're going nowhere as things stand and this political infighting is fucking the club up. I'm half convinced it would be better to get rid of Parry now and let the club be run a bit smoother since they're not going to be got rid of any time soon.

You don't think it strange that after all this time their still offering Rafa contracts that he will not sign ?

First money and length of contract. Then the issue of control over the transfer budget and the academy.

How long has this contract issue been dragging on for now ? Lets go back to the point where discussions about a new one first started.

Rafa must have known then exactly how much money he wanted, what the minimum length of contract he was prepared to accept and also the points about the transfer budget and the academy role.

I would imagine Rafa's agent relayed his demands to the concerned parties, outlining that as we have seen there is no room for bargaining.

First they wont agree to his wage/length of contract demands.

Then they come back to Rafa and say 'yes OK we agree to wage/contract' lets get the deal done.

The only problem is they know quite well Rafa isn't going to sign because there's still the issue of budget/academy to be resolved and it just holds things up.

Their deliberately fucking Rafa around with his contract. They know full well he wont sign unless all his demand are met. It's all deliberate stalling tactics.

There's a fucking big shit storm on the horizon people, best baton down the hatches.

The impression I got is that Hicks and Benitez are working to sideline and ultimately get shot of Parry but Gillett is blocking it, but I could be wrong. I've no inside information, just trying to read between the lines. If Hicks doesn't actually want to give Benitez a new contract then I reckon we're properly fucked because I wouldn't trust these two chumps to sign a better manager than the one we have and I think Benitez will walk at the end of the season if he doesn't get what he wants.

Evening Michael, I think the storm is halfway across the atlantic as we speak mate.

As you and I know Mick the reaction on here when it breaks will be very interesting. Hope to see you sunday mate.

Now that is a mind spinner Al. I won't even ask.

Evening Michael, I think the storm is halfway across the atlantic as we speak mate.

As you and I know Mick the reaction on here when it breaks will be very interesting. Hope to see you sunday mate.

Evening Al, now I know how it felt when people were waiting for the Luftwaffe.

Care to elaborate or you just another internet "source"?

Now that is a mind spinner Al. I won't even ask.
Baton down the hatches people.