You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

Sorry if i missed your post Kenny.

The situation has not changed in my personal opinion.

Dubai initially made an offer that would have given both owners and substantial profit but they turned it down.

Dubai walked away then from the deal but its pretty obvious then no-one will pay the £500-600 million the owners want so Dubai as well probably another couple of people will return when the figure drops down to around the £350-400 million mark.

Thanks coops.

We are all anxious about the situation mate and I'm sure Coop (or anyone) will let us know the moment they hear more about the situation.

As it stands, I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen - including the cunts Hicks and Gillett.

Yep, thats very true. I was just wondering because a few stories have emerged about Dubai again, maybe they are briefing the press with their PR.

Freud Communications, which is run by Rupert Murdochs son-in-law, are one of the PR firms that have been contracted by the Hicks family.

Their job is to shape public opinion of Tom Hicks and his family, offer advice to the family and spin any negative press.

It just strikes me as rather callous that they should choose to brief The Sun amongst others (The Mail and The Telegraph) in regards to the potential interest from Kuwait.

To be fair, you would have to assume that the Hicks family were not aware of who their PR firm was breifing.

The same cannot be said of Freud, who would have known exactly what they were doing.

Interesting. Are you sure that Freud represent Hicks rather than the club? I thought it was the latter, which raises the possibility that Gillett was behind the leak, not the fat one? I only ask because it seems to me that Uncle George had most to gain from scaring off the Kuwaitis?

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Interesting. Are you sure that Freud represent Hicks rather than the club? I thought it was the latter, which raises the possibility that Gillett was behind the leak, not the fat one? I only ask because it seems to me that Uncle George had most to gain from scaring off the Kuwaitis?

No, it's Hicks that is the client, not LFC.

Yep, thats very true. I was just wondering because a few stories have emerged about Dubai again, maybe they are briefing the press with their PR.

They aren't

The world's got G&H by the balls now as opposed to the other way around. Even my cat knows their financial situation is dire, and no business man in his right mind would pay over the odds for the club knowing that a sale could be forced through by the banks 'on the cheap' a couple of months down the line.

Nor would any serious business entity wish to eneter into a partnership with someone of Tom Hicks' ilk, because he's a dilettante.

That's what is worrying me. I cannot understand how they think they will get anywhere near the figures being quoted. Or for Hicks to remain.

Who in their right mind would partner Hicks , when it is clear to see how his partnership with Gillet is working out.

It just does not make any sense to me. I know we read a load of shit in the papers but with some of journalists involved in the stories, there must be some element of truth in what we are hearing.

One thing is for sure. What a fucken balls up.

We need to make sure at the Chelsea game that anyone wanting to go into business with Hicks knows EXACTLY how the Liverpool fans feel about him. We need to let them know that a complete buyout is the only option.

And what is that exactly? We don't want him here, but we're still going to hand our money over to him? A boycott of the(any) game is the only thing that will work.

This shirt boycott too, got hardly any play in the press, whereas our new strip for next season had an article on nearly every sporting website in the UK.

Whats the S.O.S for again?

No, it's Hicks that is the client, not LFC.

Cheers.

I'm convinced that Hicks has been told by RBS that his loan will be extended provided he gets a new investor in. As such, I don't think there is any practical possibility of RBS calling in their loan, and we're going to be severely disappointed if we're relying on the bank to save us from this pair!

And what is that exactly? We don't want him here, but we're still going to hand our money over to him? A boycott of the(any) game is the only thing that will work.

This shirt boycott too, got hardly any play in the press, whereas our new strip for next season had an article on nearly every sporting website in the UK.

Whats the S.O.S for again?

SOS need to exert the pressure on RBS - but again, after some hot air, it's all gone quiet. They need a prolonged period of pressure, not just a few press releases. There seems no strategy and that (along with the pointless meetings with Parry and rafa) has fatally undermined their credibility for many fans.

To be honest, I think we may have to get used to the fact that Tom Hicks may be around for a long time, the only way Tom will go is if someone makes him an offer he feels reflects the clubs "potential value", which isn't going to happen.

Although I think that his position in regard to having total control may have changed, as his "vision" cannot be realised without major capital being invested into the club, and no one in their right mind are going to inject that amount of money without having at least an equal say on how the club is run, and I think he realises this now.

He may even be open to not having control as long as he knows he has a significant stake and influence on the the stadium project, as I would imagine this is where he see's his return.

IMO, Gillett's stance of not selling unless Uncle Tom does is laughable and is merely him letting people know he won't sell on the cheap, which in a business sense at least, is the right attitude to have, regardless of our feelings about it.

Despite the picture painted above, I think one positive to bear in mind is that the Status Quo have realised that the current situation is terminal and isn't in their own interests not to change, nonwithstanding their total disregard to the us, the fans and customers who line their pockets.

Hence the leak about Kuwait.

status-quo-photo-status-quo-6234458.jpg

ABOVE: George Gillett (left) and Tom Hicks deny stories they're planning to use a Karaoke competition to settle their differences.

And I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it

I la la la like it

La la la like it

repped

To be honest, I think we may have to get used to the fact that Tom Hicks may be around for a long time, the only way Tom will go is if someone makes him an offer he feels reflects the clubs "potential value", which isn't going to happen.

Although I think that his position in regard to having total control may have changed, as his "vision" cannot be realised without major capital being invested into the club, and no one in their right mind are going to inject that amount of money without having at least an equal say on how the club is run, and I think he realises this now.

He may even be open to not having control as long as he knows he has a significant stake and influence on the the stadium project, as I would imagine this is where he see's his return.

IMO, Gillett's stance of not selling unless Uncle Tom does is laughable and is merely him letting people know he won't sell on the cheap, which in a business sense at least, is the right attitude to have, regardless of our feelings about it.

Despite the picture painted above, I think one positive to bear in mind is that the Status Quo have realised that the current situation is terminal and isn't in their own interests not to change, nonwithstanding their total disregard to the us, the fans and customers who line their pockets.

Hence the leak about Kuwait.

He'll have to sell, Andy. Especially if he doesn't get another partner to refinance. As Tony Barrett said, he'll be dragged kicking and screaming.

He'll have to sell, Andy. Especially if he doesn't get another partner to refinance. As Tony Barrett said, he'll be dragged kicking and screaming.

No he won't Mick, not at all, trust me on this

He'll only sell when he wants to

Gillett on the other hand

What we have to remember here is Hicks and Gillett are not a pair of fucking idiots like some try to make out. Both are experience business men who's speciality is in buying and selling businesses. It's how they easily out manouevered DIC. It's how they've spent fuck all and somehow changed LFC from an asset worth £200m to one worth at least double that at a time where very few businesses have maintained their value, let alone increased it.

However, both men are gamblers - it's why we're in the debt we are. It's why Gillett has been bankrupt in the past. It's why Hicks has fucked up with some of his other football adventures in the past. They both know right now they are sitting on a tidy profit. George Gillett seems happy to take that and walk away. Hicks is seeing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that is a new stadium. Right now he's playing chicken with any potential investor out there - he has got a price he would sell for, but he knows if he leaves it too late he's bust. It's how long Hicks is prepared to play his poker face that is the key to all of this.

Here we gooooooooo

Leveraged buyouts all over the world...

Ha! Absolute quality! :smile:

I can just imagine Hicks singing to Rafa when they meet later this week..

Whatever you want

Whatever you like

Whatever you say

You pay your money

You buy Gareth Barry

Whatever you need!

Don't use Robbie Keane

Whatever we win

Whatever we lose

No he won't Mick, not at all, trust me on this

He'll only sell when he wants to

Gillett on the other hand

UEM, is it the case that if GG wants to he can fuck it up for Hicks, he probably wont as per his caveat in the Bascombe peice but if he is that spiteful he can make sure he can get rid of Hicks, it would be a cut off your nose to spite your face scenario but its not all in Hicks' control, no?

UEM, is it the case that if GG wants to he can fuck it up for Hicks, he probably wont as per his caveat in the Bascombe peice but if he is that spiteful he can make sure he can get rid of Hicks, it would be a cut off your nose to spite your face scenario but its not all in Hicks' control, no?

The only contractual obligation that I'm aware of is supposed 2% clause, but that is nothing new.

More Hicks spin?

American billionaire back in for Liverpool

by John Harkin. Published Wed 28 Jan 2009 10:11, Last updated: 28 Jan 2009

American billionaire Robert Kraft has renewed his interest in buying a stake in Liverpool.

Kraft was strongly linked to buy the Reds before the club was taken over by current owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks for £470 million in 2007.

With Liverpool's owners at war, Kraft is said to be close to making a £270 million offer for Gillet's share in the company after Kuwaiti tycoon Nasser Al-Kharafi cooled his interest.

A source close to Kraft confirmed: "Robert has always been interested in Liverpool.

"He came very close to securing a deal before Tom Hicks and George Gillet bought the club.

"He is still in contact with David Moores and he's well aware that George wants out.

"Liverpool is a fantastic brand and a great franchise for any businessman.

"He already owns a string of sports teams in the States, but Robert knows it would be nothing like Liverpool.

"It's such a passionate club and it's fans are probably the most loyal in the world.

"He briefly enquired last year, but when DIC came in with an offer they blew him out of the water.

"But things are different now and he thinks now would be the best time to act.

"He's already spoken to the current owners about the possibility of getting on board and will probably make an offer in the next few weeks."

Liverpool fans are sure to be hopeful of a change from current ownership as the club have been beset by financial headaches since David Moores sold his shares in 2007.

Despite splashing out £20 million on forward Robbie Keane in the summer, manager Rafe Benitez was left fuming when an £18 million deal for Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry was cancelled by the board, citing the transfer "wasn't value for money".

And contract talks with Benitez have recently broken down after the Americans refused to grant the manager full control in the transfer market.

It is thought Kraft is keen on Benitez to remain at the helm should he purchase a stake in the club.

*Robert Kraft is the Founder, Chairman & CEO of The Kraft Group but is best known as owner of American football team New England Patriots and Major League Soccer's New England Revolution.

Speaking about Liverpool in 2005, Kraft said: ""Liverpool is a great brand and it's something our family respects a lot.

"We're always interested in opportunities and growing, so you never know what can happen."

American billionaire back in for Liverpool - Liverpool - Sport - Click Liverpool

More Hicks spin?

American billionaire back in for Liverpool

by John Harkin. Published Wed 28 Jan 2009 10:11, Last updated: 28 Jan 2009

American billionaire Robert Kraft has renewed his interest in buying a stake in Liverpool.

Kraft was strongly linked to buy the Reds before the club was taken over by current owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks for £470 million in 2007.

With Liverpool's owners at war, Kraft is said to be close to making a £270 million offer for Gillet's share in the company after Kuwaiti tycoon Nasser Al-Kharafi cooled his interest.

A source close to Kraft confirmed: "Robert has always been interested in Liverpool.

"He came very close to securing a deal before Tom Hicks and George Gillet bought the club.

"He is still in contact with David Moores and he's well aware that George wants out.

"Liverpool is a fantastic brand and a great franchise for any businessman.

"He already owns a string of sports teams in the States, but Robert knows it would be nothing like Liverpool.

"It's such a passionate club and it's fans are probably the most loyal in the world.

"He briefly enquired last year, but when DIC came in with an offer they blew him out of the water.

"But things are different now and he thinks now would be the best time to act.

"He's already spoken to the current owners about the possibility of getting on board and will probably make an offer in the next few weeks."

Liverpool fans are sure to be hopeful of a change from current ownership as the club have been beset by financial headaches since David Moores sold his shares in 2007.

Despite splashing out £20 million on forward Robbie Keane in the summer, manager Rafe Benitez was left fuming when an £18 million deal for Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry was cancelled by the board, citing the transfer "wasn't value for money".

And contract talks with Benitez have recently broken down after the Americans refused to grant the manager full control in the transfer market.

It is thought Kraft is keen on Benitez to remain at the helm should he purchase a stake in the club.

*Robert Kraft is the Founder, Chairman & CEO of The Kraft Group but is best known as owner of American football team New England Patriots and Major League Soccer's New England Revolution.

Speaking about Liverpool in 2005, Kraft said: ""Liverpool is a great brand and it's something our family respects a lot.

"We're always interested in opportunities and growing, so you never know what can happen."

American billionaire back in for Liverpool - Liverpool - Sport - Click Liverpool

The people who purport to be in the know would tell you that Kraft doesn't have the capital required.

There were also rumours of him being involved in any Dubai deal.

I can't see him getting involved unless it was very cheap, this is the same Kraft, who had the opportunity to buy the club well before Hicks and Gillett got involved and the club was half the price it is now.

Although, again, rumour only, that Keith Harris is working on a bid on behalf of an American, but only on the basis of picking the club up on the cheap.

we need to let HICKS no our feelings at Sundays game with a few rousing TOM HICKS, TOM HICKS FUCK OFF HOME. Hopefully followed by the rest of the stadium breaking into applause.We dont need a demonstration support the team but let that bastard know we want him out, not a new partner.

Hicks needs to find out how we feel about him,Gillette we hope is ready to walk lets make this Bastard squirm in his seat on Sunday.

Altogether now ! TOM HICKS, TOM HICKS FUCK OFF HOME

You think a few nasty chants will suddenly make him sell up?

All you'll achieve is to take the focus off the importance of the game back onto the owners again.

He'll sell when he's good and ready, which I doubt will be for a long long time yet. I get the impression he enjoys owning us and the protestations only make him even more determined to cling on.