You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Agger latest

DT

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully you are not running the club. If Agger wants 80k p/w then im sure he would settle for 65-70k. He should be given it. A class act and it would be a mistake not to give it to him.

And thankfully you're not either! Yeah let's just pay him 15k a week less than he want but still up to 15k a week more than he's worth.

Jesus h christ!

If he want's £80k per week, he's got some fucking cheak in my opinion.

He was injured for the whole of last season and, minus the odd performance, has been nowhere near as good as player as he showed in 06/07.

Whats wrong with proving he can hit top form again before making ridiculous demands?

I'd like to know what Carra gets. I imagine it's around that. Agger has been nowhere near the player Carra has been this season.

He joined as an international defender with tremendous technical ability and one of the most sought after young players in Europe. And on top of that he was our most expensive defender ever. Trust me, he got a good deal. How much is anyone's guess but those who say he wants 80k/week now probably aren't far off.

We got him for £6m so I'd say his wages would probably reflect that. He signed at the time Sergio Ramos was moving for £18m which was the going rate for a top class young defender. Agger was a promising young player who was largely unknown in my opinion and I am guessing his wages are probably less than most of the first team.

I'll ask you again, are you advocating paying 80k a week just to keep him? IF that's the reason for the apparant stalemate.

Its a lot of money and personally I think he would settle for less, but what about the cost of getting a CB like Agger, they do not actually grow on trees unlike CB`s in the mould of Skrtel and how do w know the new player will settle and how will it influence our game?

On basis of these things I think it would be madness if we do not do everything in our power to hold on to Agger.

We would be crazy to let him go.

1) It will mean we have secured the best young pair of central defenders in Europe , and along with Carra we would have the best central defence in Europe imo. ( Sami would make this even more so for the next 18 months.

2) If we pay him ( I think he would settle for lower ) £4m per annum , his transfer value immediately increases by @ £8m on his value today as soon as he signs. We would have secured an asset worth £13m / £15m.

Fairly major assumption, but I don't recall too many stories about players being unhappy with what they earn for us. Nor do I remember too many where contract talks break down over it.

I'd assume then, he's asking for a lot more than he's worth/has earnt, in which case sell him. He's potentially a very good player, but you can't be held over a barrel.

Fairly major assumption, but I don't recall too many stories about players being unhappy with what they earn for us. Nor do I remember too many where contract talks break down over it.

I'd assume then, he's asking for a lot more than he's worth/has earnt, in which case sell him. He's potentially a very good player, but you can't be held over a barrel.

Well I hope someone makes an exectutive decision then either way cos if we dilly and dally we'll get nothing like what he's worth.

AC Milan close to £7.5m Daniel Agger deal | Liverpool - Times Online

AC Milan close to £7.5m Daniel Agger deal

Kaveh Solhekol, Gabriele Marcotti

AC Milan were last night set to make a new £7.5 million bid for Daniel Agger, the Liverpool defender. The Denmark defender is believed to have an escape clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Anfield against the club’s wishes in the summer. Liverpool have denied that this clause exists, but Per Steffensen, Agger’s agent, had lunch in Milan with Ariedo Braida, the Serie A club’s sporting director, yesterday and Milan are confident of completing the deal this week.

Agger, 24, has 18 months left on his deal and Liverpool are said to have offered him a new contract, worth about £70,000 a week, to stay at the club. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, will attempt to resist Milan’s overtures but the Italians remain certain that the deal can be done.

Benítez is likely to be absent from preparations for the derby against Everton in the Barclays Premier League on Monday after undergoing a third operation to resolve a problem with kidney stones yesterday. The 48-year-old has had surgery twice since being struck by the ailment early last month and missed the league match away to Arsenal on December 21 as a result.

The Spaniard returned to work at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground a fortnight ago, but Sammy Lee, the assistant manager, took charge of training yesterday in the build-up to Monday’s match at Anfield. Benítez is expected to be fit to attend the game, but he is likely to watch from the directors’ box again, with Lee directing events from the dugout.

“It’s a difficult time for him because, you know Rafa Benítez, all he wants to do is be out there on the training pitch with his players,” Lee said. “That’s his forte, but he is still buoyant.

“He has gone for the third operation, but we’re hoping it won’t keep him out for too long — hopefully just a couple of days. All credit to Rafa for what he has put in place. His attention to detail and organisation means that, if any one of us is missing, there won’t be a blip.”

Benítez will select the team for the match against Everton and Fernando Torres, the forward, is expected to be restored to the starting line-up for the first time since late November after a hamstring injury. Torres, who has made substitute appearances against Preston North End and Stoke City in Liverpool’s most recent fixtures, has endured three spells on the sidelines with hamstring problems this season and he believes that he is still some way short of full fitness. “Of course I want to be in the first XI,” the Spain striker said. “I don’t know if I can play 90 minutes yet, but I can be in the squad. I feel much better and I hope to come back to start in the first XI as soon as possible.

“I didn’t do pre-season properly after Euro 2008. The season started too soon for me and you are trying to keep the best physical stamina, but it’s difficult when you have to play three games a week. Now I want to stay a perfect 100 per cent and not get injured again.”

£70,000 a week is more than fair for a player who isn't automatic first choice, be sad to see him go really, technical defenders like him are hard to find. He would suit the European league though and I can understand the attraction of Milan for a player who has no ties to Liverpool and who isn't sure of his first team place when Skrtel comes back properly.