You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car Insurance

Section_31

Has anyone's gone up this year? My renewal quote has gone up by about £100 despite having another year's no-claims under my belt.

When I go on the comparison websites to try and get a cheaper one though, it's still the lowest I'm getting, the fuck? Is this some kind of AIG on its arse domino effect style bollocks or what?

As a learner my insurance was £1400, It's now going up to £1,700, I now have 10 days grace where the new policy has come into affect, but I have until the end of the ten days to continue or end the current policy.

Liverpool Victoria are doing me a 'stonking' good deal £1100 fully comp.

It's still shit though, considering my Nissan Micra 1.0L 1993 is like worth £50

Has anyone's gone up this year? My renewal quote has gone up by about £100 despite having another year's no-claims under my belt.

When I go on the comparison websites to try and get a cheaper one though, it's still the lowest I'm getting, the fuck? Is this some kind of AIG on its arse domino effect style bollocks or what?

How does the no claim bonus ladder work in the UK?

It all depends how the no claim bonus ladder looks like and on what step you are finding yourself.

In Norway it works like this

20% start bonus

30%

40%

50% - (start bonus for car number two, if you have less than 50% you will get the same bonus on your second car as what you have got.)

60%

70%

70% second year

70% third year

70% fourth year

70% fifth year

75% as above

75%> 5 years or 80%

So when you reach the 70% and 75% no claim bonus step it does not always matter if you have another year with claim free driving.

The price will also be adjusted compared to your insurance companies claims rates and the consumer price index.

Mine went up about £200 a few months ago, so I changed to Swift Cover, which is half what I was paying, but you get practically no cover. None of your fancy windscreen cover or courtesy cars. It just what it says on the tin, but it's only about £250 a year so I'm taking my chances.

ETA: I've also got a full no claims discount (obviously now unprotected).

Mine went up about £200 a few months ago, so I changed to Swift Cover, which is half what I was paying, but you get practically no cover. None of your fancy windscreen cover or courtesy cars. It just what it says on the tin, but it's only about £250 a year so I'm taking my chances.

ETA: I've also got a full no claims discount (obviously now unprotected).

That'd suit me fine, my car's a piece of shit, I only have insurance because its' a legal requirement and would probably never claim on it. I'll check that out, cheers Liz

my insurance went up about £50, now £750 for the year, i was bitching abut it, now im not sure why.... I did note it didn't go up or down having my brother in law and ex husband as named drivers, fuck knows why, cause apparently if one lived with me it would of gone down.

Jeese, £1700???? how old are you?

just tried Swift Cover and it's the same, that's with no no-claims protection either. The cheapest I'm getting is £270 3rd party with no no-claims protection from Halifax, that's £20 more expensive than I was paying two years ago.

Massive donkey balls.

How much do you earn a year robbie?

i'm self employed mate so it differs. the least i have earned in a week is £300. obviously the work is really slack atm and i'm considering taking a shite job on around 15 grand just to have guarunteed income until the building trade picks up.

i'm self employed mate so it differs. the least i have earned in a week is £300. obviously the work is really slack atm and i'm considering taking a shite job on around 15 grand just to have guarunteed income until the building trade picks up.

Thats about 25% of your income on just car insurance Robbie. Car must have cost a few quid too for an 18 year old.

Mental! Can't imagine the hoochies go mad over a vauxhall either, but happy to be proved wrong.

Thats about 25% of your income on just car insurance Robbie. Car must have cost a few quid too for an 18 year old.

Mental! Can't imagine the hoochies go mad over a vauxhall either, but happy to be proved wrong.

yeah its about 20% of my average weekly earnings. i saved the money up from my previous job for the car so paid cash (no finance or anything).

i seriously despise young lads who think because they are driving they are entitled to minge. beside i have a girl who i'v been with for nearly 3 years......

i pay 4100 for the year. i am 18 and have 0 no claims bonus. my car is an 07 plate astra.

you bastards got it good!

Fuck me. Thats a wedge and a half. I thought i had it bad. If i pass my test in a few weeks my quote's have been about a grand for a 1.4 and im 30.

i pay 4100 for the year. i am 18 and have 0 no claims bonus. my car is an 07 plate astra.

you bastards got it good!

Fuck that, i would buy a heap of shit insure that 3rd party and save my money for a few years. £4100? you'd save at least 3k a year for a couple of years at least.

just tried Swift Cover and it's the same, that's with no no-claims protection either. The cheapest I'm getting is £270 3rd party with no no-claims protection from Halifax, that's £20 more expensive than I was paying two years ago.

Massive donkey balls.

Get onto Quidco and get paid to search. You can earn about £60/70 taking out insurance and also money for getting quotes. Will at least offset any additional cost.

Kwik Fit are usually cheap, too.

Are all the builders letting their hair grow during the economic downturn?

Where are these "shite 15 grand jobs" you speak of?

I earn £13,250 a year!

Na I don't rate them really.