You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Resevoir Dogs

RobbieOR

I bought this a while back off Amazon (through the site obviously) and im looking for peoples opinions on it? I havent watched it yet so no spoilers please.

Are you being serious!? How have you not seen this classic?

You are in for a real treat my freind! In fact, i'm pretty jealous of you.

It was totally about the budget in my view and nothing to do with experience. He was writing a movie to get made on a shoe string. Loads of clever first movies are written that way. Cube, for example, only required a one room set that was... a cube.

I really like Tarantino's stuff. Even Death Proof, which is easily the weakest and most self-indulgent thing he's done, has its moments. Inglourious Basterds is on its way next and I can't wait. Tarantino's take on The Dirty Dozen has potential classic written all over it. Brad Pitt's in it too and he's always at his best in the quirkier parts and films he does.

This is a remake of an old Italian Spaghetti War film that's worth having a look at. It's about a group of GIs sentenced Dirty Dozen style who escape and try to fight their way to Switzerland, taking on Americans and Germans alike. It's got this fella in it, handing out hidings to a plethora of Nazis:

fred.jpg

This is a remake of an old Italian Spaghetti War film that's worth having a look at. It's about a group of GIs sentenced Dirty Dozen style who escape and try to fight their way to Switzerland, taking on Americans and Germans alike. It's got this fella in it, handing out hidings to a plethora of Nazis:

fred.jpg

Robert Downey Jnr?

What a film! Some of the seens in this are brilliant. Just edges oout Pulp Fiction. The story line is very good and i think if Tarrantino had of made this a few years later than at the time it would of been even better.

I think that the reason it's so good is that it is his first. He had a relatively small budget and had to rein himself in. If he'd not had the constraints and had been able to do more then it would have been a poorer film. I love the fact that it's a heist film where we don't see the actual heist - just the planning and the aftermath.

I think that the reason it's so good is that it is his first. He had a relatively small budget and had to rein himself in. If he'd not had the constraints and had been able to do more then it would have been a poorer film. I love the fact that it's a heist film where we don't see the actual heist - just the planning and the aftermath.

It plays on the one thing that we all know is the best filmmaker in the world--your imagination.

I always just picture Mr. Blonde just coldly capping everyone whilst the other robbers just look at each other mouthing, "What the fuck?"

Dogs is one of my favourite films. In fact, I love it more than my own children (if I had children).

The casting, the photography, the overly-long shots in the warehouse and out to the car, the ending, the amazing soundtrack, the cut and paste chronological order of events, I just love this film.

Section, disappointed in you mate. Thought you'd lap this up.

What a film! Some of the seens in this are brilliant. Just edges oout Pulp Fiction. The story line is very good and i think if Tarrantino had of made this a few years later than at the time it would of been even better.

Did simon write that post for you? :whistle:

Bores the tits off me, I've never managed to watch it through to the end. Most overrated film EVER.

Same here, i watched it a few days ago and i don't get what's so special about it. I was bored watching it, too much talking not enough action.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Fucking ace film

Only ever got onto the fact that every single one the "Dogs" ends up dead a few years ago

Also love the little tie ins with other Tarantino films.

I love the shoot-out on the street with the cops, even the noise of the shots is refreshingly real compared to the usual big fake Hollywood shite where gunfire usually sounds like an explosion.

It's a majestic piece of work. I reckon I'm due a Tarantino weekend soon.

• 14 years later...
On 10/01/2009 at 22:06, Section_31 said:

Bores the tits off me, I've never managed to watch it through to the end. Most overrated film EVER.

I enjoyed it first time I saw it.  I watched it again years later and thought it was shite.