You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Debts.

Guest simon

I dont know the personal circumstance of this lad or how this debt came about and yes it can be a scary time but the above makes me rage..

The problem is that the company you originally owed money to will have sold the debt to one of these cuntish debt recovery agencies

No fella the problem is that he didnt pay the debt or make arrnagement to pay the debt in the first 6 months of the default..He would have had plenty of time and numerous letters and phone calls before it got to this stage - from the date of the original default I would imagine that at least 9-12 months has passed - he entered into an agreement to pay £10 very reasonable I think in the circumastance nad then didnt both..TOUGH FUCKIN TITS MATE..

its not cuntish debt collectors - its stupid people running up bills which are none essential bills of which they have no means to pay. Why should the company lose money just because his head is firmly up his arse? If he owed me £500 I'd be doing more than sending bailiffs round to his house - oh I've got confidence issues... blah fuckin blah there were no issue when he was running the bill up were there..the company gave him a chance and he blew it.. perhaps he genuinely cant pay it now but thats life - this situation will act as a very good lesson for the future - dont take what you cant afford and if you do rememebr there are consequences.

I didn't know you were working for the Samaritans....

But your circumstances are different. Weren't you made redundant? I'm guessing that you're looking for a job in a specific role, or at least area. Simon's on a "course to learn how to return to work". If he requires that course before he can get a job of any type, then you'd think he'd consider trying harder at it, especially considering that he has a debt to pay.

Edited by dirty_sanchez
Sorry, this was meant to be in response to Tom R.

I dont know the personal circumstance of this lad or how this debt came about and yes it can be a scary time but the above makes me rage..

The problem is that the company you originally owed money to will have sold the debt to one of these cuntish debt recovery agencies

No fella the problem is that he didnt pay the debt or make arrnagement to pay the debt in the first 6 months of the default..He would have had plenty of time and numerous letters and phone calls before it got to this stage - from the date of the original default I would imagine that at least 9-12 months has passed - he entered into an agreement to pay £10 very reasonable I think in the circumastance nad then didnt both..TOUGH FUCKIN TITS MATE..

its not cuntish debt collectors - its stupid people running up bills which are none essential bills of which they have no means to pay. Why should the company lose money just because his head is firmly up his arse? If he owed me £500 I'd be doing more than sending bailiffs round to his house - oh I've got confidence issues... blah fuckin blah there were no issue when he was running the bill up were there..the company gave him a chance and he blew it.. perhaps he genuinely cant pay it now but thats life - this situation will act as a very good lesson for the future - dont take what you cant afford and if you do rememebr there are consequences.

He was asking for advice, not sympathy. Good of you to wade in with both boots though, thanks for that.

Also, just to put your mind at ease, they can't refuse a payment plan that offers the most you can afford. All you need to do is make a list of all your income and all your expenditure, subtract expenditure from income and whatever that figure is they have to accept it. If you send them this typed up before the issue gets to court (which will be a while anyway) it will never get to court. The debt company know that they would be thrown out of the court for not accepting the offer as it's literally impossible for you to pay more. If bailiffs come round it's no probs as they have no right of entry unless you invite them in. Unlikely to happen anyway for a small debt like yours. They'll just escalate it via mail until you sort an agreement. Genuinely no need to stress mate.

He was asking for advice, not sympathy. Good of you to wade in with both boots though, thanks for that.

In fairness to AVEEZ, she wasn't aiming her fire at simon, just pointing out that sparta7 laying all the blame for this situation at a "cuntish debt recovery agency" was a tad unfair, and that perhaps the person who ran up a silly debt, then repeatedly failed to pick up the tab for it, ought to shoulder at least some of the responsibility.

Apologies - My advise would be dont buy things you cant afford.. dont run up debts you cant pay and dont ask for sympathy / advise with a problem when you are doing very little to help yourself.

Ok I just called the CAB I have an apoitment on Tuesday at 12 earliest one I can get. Thanks everyone.

Simon, don't expect to get there at 12 and immediately see someone. The CAB are often overrun with people needing advice, so I recommend getting there an hour earlier than you need to and get yourself 'signed in'.

They often aren't open all day either, so be prepared to have to go back on a different day.

On the subject of bailliff powers, I saw this just recently.

Bailiffs get power to use force on debtors - Times Online

From The Sunday TimesDecember 21, 2008

Bailiffs get power to use force on debtors

Jon Ungoed-Thomas

The government has been accused of trampling on individual liberties by proposing wide-ranging new powers for bailiffs to break into homes and to use “reasonable force” against householders who try to protect their valuables.

Under the regulations, bailiffs for private firms would for the first time be given permission to restrain or pin down householders. They would also be able to force their way into homes to seize property to pay off debts, such as unpaid credit card bills and loans.

The government, which wants to crack down on people who evade debts, says the new powers would be overseen by a robust industry watchdog. However, the laws are being criticised as the latest erosion of the rights of the householder in his own home.

“These laws strip away tried and tested protections that make a person’s home his castle, and which have stood for centuries,” said Paul Nicolson, chairman of the Zacchaeus 2000 Trust, a London-based welfare charity. “They could clearly lead to violent confrontations and undermine fundamental liberties.”

Related Links

Repossessions will rise 67% to hit 90s levels

Think of debt not as a misfortune but as an opportunity

Bailed-out bank menaces defaulters

Bailiffs have for hundreds of years been denied powers to break into homes for civil debt or to use force against debtors, except in self-defence. In a famous declaration, William Pitt the Elder, the 18th-century prime minister, said: “The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the crown.” Ministers have now proposed bailiffs be given powers to physically remove debtors who try to defend their property, for example by draping themselves over a car or blocking the door of their home. Lord Bach, a junior justice minister, has assured the House of Lords that any new powers will be implemented only after a consultation and will not be used to search debtors’ pockets or to remove jewellery.

It emerged last week that Her Majesty’s Courts Service has already handed out guidance to privately employed bailiffs, pointing out that under legislation passed in 2004 they can already break down doors as a last resort to collect court fines.

Some restraint should be exercised, according to the “search and entry powers” guidelines. “If a person locks himself in their home, it might be reasonable to break open the door, but probably not to smash a hole in the wall,” it advises.

Details of the new guidelines were obtained under freedom of information laws. They say homes should not be broken into when nobody is in. Reasonable grounds for breaking down the door include the “movement of a curtain”, a radio being heard or a figure being spotted inside which “may be the offender”.

It is claimed these powers are already abused. In one case, an 89-year-old grandmother returned home to find a bailiff sitting in her chair having drawn up a list of her possessions. He was pursuing a parking fine owed by her son, who did not even live at the address.

Great living in a free country. These are all for government 'debts'.

Jesus, there really are some judgemental/obnoxious/sanctimonious/just-plain-old-downright cunts in here at times. It's an old debt from when he was a kid. I've had loads of them, paid some back, others I might not have but who the fuck is anyone else to judge? It's a mobile phone company and the one thing they're good at is stiffing you and making bills for fuck all somehow manage to multiply drastically.

I love the way some people like to make themselves look big and clever by trying to make a fool of someone who's probably got a learning disability/difficulty and clearly hasn't had the easiest of upbringings.

Pat on the back to all of those who fit the above. Now go wash your faces with acid.

Apologies - My advise would be dont buy things you cant afford.. dont run up debts you cant pay and dont ask for sympathy / advise with a problem when you are doing very little to help yourself.

So what's your advice when you're commited to something contractually that you can afford then your circumstances suddely change? It's not like he's being chased for a 10 grand credit card bill that he went and blew on widescreen TVs and designer handbags.

Jesus, there really are some judgemental/obnoxious/sanctimonious/just-plain-old-downright cunts in here at times. It's an old debt from when he was a kid. I've had loads of them, paid some back, others I might not have but who the fuck is anyone else to judge? It's a mobile phone company and the one thing they're good at is stiffing you and making bills for fuck all somehow manage to multiply drastically.

I love the way some people like to make themselves look big and clever by trying to make a fool of someone who's probably got a learning disability/difficulty and clearly hasn't had the easiest of upbringings.

Pat on the back to all of those who fit the above. Now go wash your faces with acid.

Congratulations indeed - you have forgotton those people who have implied that this is anyones fault but the person responsible for running up the debt, not paying the repayment schedule as agreed, and leaving it to the last minute to seek advise... You have also forgotten the people who impied that age is a reason for running up a debt.. old enough to play the game old enough to take the pain!!!

Well done to those people too.. pat on the back now go wash your faces with acid.

I know you meant to be acerbic there, but washing your face with acid is a decidedly good idea, as human skin typically has a pH in the range of 4.0-7.0

science.gif

• Upvote 2

and on the flip side, don't specifically target people with low income offering credit and then act surprised when they default.

So what's your advice when you're commited to something contractually that you can afford then your circumstances suddely change? It's not like he's being chased for a 10 grand credit card bill that he went and blew on widescreen TVs and designer handbags.

My advise would be that - as soon as you know you're in trouble contact the company with whom you are contracturally obliged. Explain your situation make agreement to repay the debt at a reasonable rate and stick to it.. if you find you can no longer make those payments contact the company again explain what has changed and alter the agreement.. DO NOt bury your head in the sand or try to convince yourself that its a small debt and therefore doesnt matter or that as I didnt spend it on a widescreen tv and designer handbags that it doesnt matter.

Congratulations indeed - you have forgotton those people who have implied that this is anyones fault but the person responsible for running up the debt, not paying the repayment schedule as agreed, and leaving it to the last minute to seek advise... You have also forgotten the people who impied that age is a reason for running up a debt.. old enough to play the game old enough to take the pain!!!

Well done to those people too.. pat on the back now go wash your faces with acid.

I wasnt even talking about you as I replied before I had got to your post. I was talking about the people who are continually following the lad around the forum and catching him on every slip up before letting him know just what a mong they think he is.

My second reply was to your post, actually. Having said that though, not everyone is blessed with such strong moral character as yoursweetself. Clearly none of it had to be taught, it was just a talent you were born with. Just the same as your people skills.

Unfortunately some of us mere mortals have to learn from our mistakes and (can you believe this?!?) in some cases, even panic and hide from the problems when they're happening.

It's probably something to do with being fucking human!

and on the flip side, don't specifically target people with low income offering credit and then act surprised when they default.

Thats not a flip side - these businesses are just that - businesses.. they are here to make a profit.. hundreds of people with poor credit use these companies to their advantage to regain a credit rating following a default or because they didnt have enought credit to get any decent credit and then pay them off happily.. the responibility of debt lays firmly with the person taking out the credit.. Low income families cannot be excluded from credit or from the offer.. but its up to the family to decide if they can adequetly manage the credit they request.

Thats not a flip side - these businesses are just that - businesses.. they are here to make a profit.. hundreds of people with poor credit use these companies to their advantage to regain a credit rating following a default or because they didnt have enought credit to get any decent credit and then pay them off happily.. the responibility of debt lays firmly with the person taking out the credit.. Low income families cannot be excluded from credit or from the offer.. but its up to the family to decide if they can adequetly manage the credit they request.

Seriously, the well didn't half run dry after Noos, didn't it?

I wasnt even talking about you as I replied before I had got to your post. I was talking about the people who are continually following the lad around the forum and catching him on every slip up before letting him know just what a mong they think he is.

My second reply was to your post, actually. Having said that though, not everyone is blessed with such strong moral character as yoursweetself. Clearly none of it had to be taught, it was just a talent you were born with. Just the same as your people skills.

Unfortunately some of us mere mortals have to learn from our mistakes and (can you believe this?!?) in some cases, even panic and hide from the problems when they're happening.

It's probably something to do with being fucking human!

Oh dear - mysweetself has had to learn but not from hiding from my problems and letting other people take the blame - I think I even said this was a learning experience.. This has nothing to do with morals and more to do with common sense ..

hmmm I owe someone money are they likely to

A) put this down to my learning experience and leave me alone

or

B) chase me to the ends of the earth because they want their cash back???

hmmmm I guess this is something one might consult with nasa over but I guess the talent I was born with lends itself to these kinds of situations or perhaps that comes from my people skills too?

Simon mate, I know the feeling. I've got about two and a half grand to pay off and I'm only 19. Fortunately I have a job that brings me a steady income, and have direct debits set up to pay off the debts.

Anyone can get a job. I know it's hard trying to find one, it took me about 6 months, and about 10 interviews before I finally got this one. Luckily enough the workload is minimal so I can sit on here all day and get paid for it ;). There is no way anyone could not work in McDonalds. They hire anyone there. Although being the stupid cunt I am, I was too proud to go and work there, and stayed on JSA instead.

Surely you have family who can possibly lend you money, even if it is as little as £10 a month, as long as you are paying something off your debts, it's a start. The worst thing to do is to ignore it, as late fee's and stuff like over credit limit charges are a bastard to pay!

Just make sure you don't ignore the situation, as it will only get worse. You may be blacklisted, but if you get this sorted, and make regular payments, I'm sure you can get your credit rating back to a decent standard can't you? I don't know how the whole blacklisted thing works, does it stay on your record for a few years, then you can get it removed if you have paid off your debts?

Leeson what's the matter mate, did you lose fifty million quid IN ONE DAY!!!!!?

Aveez isn't having a go at Simon here, she's just the forum ballbreaker.

ballbreaker, make you work hard

Make you spend hard

Make you want all of her love

She's a ballbreaker

make you buy cars

make you cut cards

make you fall real hard in love

She's a ballbreaker, make you work hard

Make you spend hard

Make you want all of her love

She's a ballbreaker

make you buy cars