You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Bob Dylan appreciation thread

rondeco

On 08/01/2009 at 13:50, Soleilrouge said:

Abandoned love and Visions of Johanna - they would haunt my soul if I had one

Great choices. Abandoned love is little known as it was originally a track off bobs album Desire but didnt make the cut. When you can write a track as beutiful as this and simply shelve it shows the genius of our bob.

The song is deut with the supreme talent violin player Scarlett Rivera who must have been a bit fucked off to see it buried for over a decade till it appeares on Dylans biograth album.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread reminds me of a review of a Secret Santa CD I sent around 2009 or '10, and my recipient was Fowler's God. He wrote, 'I think I've heard of this guy...' like he was some obscure no-mark that he then tried to compare him to. His logic was that, just as I had not heard of the guy he mentioned, he had little to no knowledge of hearing anything of Dylan, and therefore, our respective experiences meant that they were equally famous or talented.

Motherfucker, I near shat laughing. Even a laid out explanation of his cluelessness and wrongness didn't seem to have any effect. He still stood his ground.

15 hours ago, Doh'Nuts said:

This thread reminds me of a review of a Secret Santa CD I sent around 2009 or '10, and my recipient was Fowler's God. He wrote, 'I think I've heard of this guy...' like he was some obscure no-mark that he then tried to compare him to. His logic was that, just as I had not heard of the guy he mentioned, he had little to no knowledge of hearing anything of Dylan, and therefore, our respective experiences meant that they were equally famous or talented.

Motherfucker, I near shat laughing. Even a laid out explanation of his cluelessness and wrongness didn't seem to have any effect. He still stood his ground.

That fucker only listens to Jim Croce while he is chopping trees down and looking after Scampi, Pritt-Stick and Van Allen Belt . 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Am I the only one who thinks that a lot of the lyrics on the new album seem more like Leonard Cohen than "typical" Dylan.

I really like it.

Pensive and knowing.

Like a man who has made peace with mortality, I suppose this would compare with Cohen.

The album reminds me of Cohen’s last albums in that it’s a nod and a wink to ‘I’ve had my time and I’m cool with that, it’s been a ride’

Gotterdammerung.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
47 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Sold the rights to all his music to Universal  Music Group for an undisclosed fee but some ITK reckons it's a nine figure sum.

$300,000,000.

Cheap at twice the price, though I dread to think what tat it’ll be attached to now he’s ceded control.

Laxatives adverts with ‘Idiot wind’ or ‘Blowing in the wind’ playing over the top whilst an overweight American with hypertension explodes on the toilet I’m cool with though.