You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've spent my fair share of time in the region. The lake of the woods area is great. Went there camping a few times in University.

I did see that they are in the process of twinning this particular bridge, which obviously makes sense.

Lakehead?

Was supposed to go there but instead opted for a career in the pizza industry.

Kenora is lovely, nice little brewery there were you can get growlers of fresh beer...and then off to Sioux Narrows, or Rushing River or any little spot around there. Lake of the Woods Brewery. Fresh ale, fresh air, camp fire and no riff raff you get in southern Ontario...the hiking is pristine as well, hardly ever see anyone on the trails. 

Sandbar Lake near Ignace, stayed there a few times. Loved the park superintendant, she says be careful with your food there is a black bear around, he's not aggressive but he did chase two campers into their truck when there was nothing left to eat after he raided their cooler...oh, okay so as long as I have a massive supply of Schneider Red Hots I'm okay then?  That area between Dryden and Thunder Bay is bear infested. I can remember driving and two cubs darted out of the woods, I slowed down and then the mother followed, thank fuck she scurried off, didn't feel like reversing down the highway. 

I never drive it at night either, moose infested as well. The government should round them up and not tag them but plaster them with reflective tape. 

Lakehead?

Was supposed to go there but instead opted for a career in the pizza industry.

Kenora is lovely, nice little brewery there were you can get growlers of fresh beer...and then off to Sioux Narrows, or Rushing River or any little spot around there. Lake of the Woods Brewery. Fresh ale, fresh air, camp fire and no riff raff you get in southern Ontario...the hiking is pristine as well, hardly ever see anyone on the trails. 

Sandbar Lake near Ignace, stayed there a few times. Loved the park superintendant, she says be careful with your food there is a black bear around, he's not aggressive but he did chase two campers into their truck when there was nothing left to eat after he raided their cooler...oh, okay so as long as I have a massive supply of Schneider Red Hots I'm okay then?  That area between Dryden and Thunder Bay is bear infested. I can remember driving and two cubs darted out of the woods, I slowed down and then the mother followed, thank fuck she scurried off, didn't feel like reversing down the highway. 

I never drive it at night either, moose infested as well. The government should round them up and not tag them but plaster them with reflective tape. 

Kenora was always the base, but we would take off from there in boats to the surrounding islands....no idea of the names anymore.

I have relatives in Moncton, winnipeg and Toronto. Those in Moncton are originally from quebec. They sometimes can't fully understand each other and when the family from this side of the point meet up its a mess of accents and cultures. Great fun.

Winnipeg-- home of the winter social. And the vernacular 'I seen' as in 'I seen a guy downtown with no boots on' 

Sad day though recently, they shut The Palomino Club on Portage Avenue and are ripping it down to build condo's. The STD rate is expected to fall.

The Liverpool equivalent would be The Grafton. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

151 years old today

We’ve come along way from the beaver trade.

Our crowning achievement - you can now actually have weed delivered to your house. 

Happy Canada Day buddeh.