You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm thinking of upping sticks and fucking off to live somewhere else. I'm thinking in a selfless way, which country needs me most? With that in mind, I'm looking at emigrating to Canada.

Don't know much about the place though, other than roughly where it is.

Whereabout should I be looking to move the family Noos to? Anyone done this before? Any tips on how I go about it?

I've been on some canadian website and totted up my points, and I have plenty enough to qualify. Am I likely to be able to find work there? My missus is a primary school teacher - do they have teachers in Canada, and if so, could they use one more?

Any info or pointers greatly appreciated. What's the general cost/standard of living, and is it always fucking freezing and overrun with bears?

You do realise that NP lives near the north pole. I can't see the Noosmeister moving there.

Noos, come to Sweden mate.

I thought about Sweden, but although I am generally good at languages and pick them up quite quickly, my missus is not. As non-speakers, our job options would be severely limited, and she would have no chance of getting a teaching job. I feel my options are limited to countries that speak properly.

Canada must be quite easy to get into. Some journo bird I know got an editor's job on a paper in Calgary a couple of months back, she's got no management experience and no family out there as far as I know, she just went for a holiday with her husband and landed the gig.

Australia on the other hand, requires you to have £500,000 in negotiable bearer bonds stuffed securely up your arse before they'll even let you off the plane.

I thought about Sweden, but although I am generally good at languages and pick them up quite quickly, my missus is not. As non-speakers, our job options would be severely limited, and she would have no chance of getting a teaching job. I feel my options are limited to countries that speak properly.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to live here and not speak the lingo. Most large company have english as their corporate language and there are english schools.

we need you all so desperately, but don't make me beg !

first we need to assess your reaction to snow and cold. if you are strong, then you could move just about anywhere (toronto/montreal/calgary/halifax to name just a few). however, if you have a reaction to snow, then perhaps the west coast (vancouver) is the place. remember we have the olympics coming next year, so there is quite a building boom going on.

house prices in canada (in general) are approx 150,000 pounds, but vancouver would be more like 300,000+. most of the major cities listed above would be closer to 150,000.

the job situation seems pretty good, all things considered. you are right that it is not that difficult to get in with the right qualifications. teaching has lots of opportunities (i teach at a local college). i forget what your profession is though ?

my parents emigrated to canada from england some 40+ years ago. they had a choice of south africa, australia or canada, and they chose canada, but had no idea exactly where (it is the second largest country in the world). they ended up moving to the frozen tundra of the prairies in saskatchewan. it turned out all right in the end, but one hell of a culture shock.

why don't you just PM me with specific questions, if you have any.

Actually, Alan Sex is from there too isn't he?

alan sex is in calgary, i'm in vancouver and NP is in some god-forsaken place in the arctic.

i've lived pretty much all the way across the west (regina, calgary vancouver) and have spent some time in montreal, toronto and nova scotia.

My uncle lives in Canada .He emigrated 30 yrs ago and maanged to get himself to vice president of Canada Life

When I went out to visit him about 18 yrs ago I was asked(by his family) to bring out those white chocolate mice as the sweets are crap out there .I got my luggage searched at customs and the lady was slightly confused by the fact this 18 yr old lad had a big fuck off tub of white choccy mice.Got through though.

Before that happened though I was invited in for a question time with customs and they wanted to know where I was staying and how long I ws going to be here for .They put a date on my passport giving me maximum 4 week stay .

I think Canada is great .. EH ?

Vancouver is a good spot Noos.I used to go out with a bird, med student, in uni from there. Went over to visit her a few times. It a class spot and is ranked as on of the most liveable cities in the world consistently. Would be a nice spot for the family. Always thought that myself anyway.

Always work there as well.

Vancouver is fantastic. Seems to have it all really. It's been a while since I went but it was fucking brilliant.

Neko, when I was there there was an area called Hastings where all the drug addicts hung out. Is that still the case. It was like a fucking tourist attraction. You'd stop there on the bus and watch them jacking up and fighting over ciggies. Seemed that the City was tolerant as long as they stuck to their own little spot.

Stanley Park is great. And I walked up Grouse Mountain (the Grouse Grind if I remember rightly) in a record 6 days! Well, that's what it felt like. Asthmatic chipmunks were cruising past me!

One of my favourite Cities in the world.

Vancouver sounds like a possible contender, although I am keen for a total change in lifestyle, so will need to be away from the city centre, but near somewhere that I can find work. I'm a recruiter now, but will happily fuck that off. Don't fancy just swapping what I do now for the same thing somewhere else. I quite like the idea of a proper log cabin type house with a wardrobe full of checked lumberjack shirts. I also want bears roaming around outside, and a big fuck off rifle over the fireplace, with a mounted moose-head over it wearing a red and white scarf.

I intend to bust my balls to get near or totally debt free in the next 18 months or so, then piss off.

Vancouver is fantastic. Seems to have it all really. It's been a while since I went but it was fucking brilliant.

Neko, when I was there there was an area called Hastings where all the drug addicts hung out. Is that still the case. It was like a fucking tourist attraction. You'd stop there on the bus and watch them jacking up and fighting over ciggies. Seemed that the City was tolerant as long as they stuck to their own little spot.

Stanley Park is great. And I walked up Grouse Mountain (the Grouse Grind if I remember rightly) in a record 6 days! Well, that's what it felt like. Asthmatic chipmunks were cruising past me!

One of my favourite Cities in the world.

main and hastings is definitely quite a show. it has been unseasonably cold of late, which affects all the homeless people. a woman burned to death in a garbage bin last week trying to keep warm.

vancouver is a very attractive city with lots of outdoor activities, but lacks culture. it can be a bit dull and expensive too (by our standards).

the olympics are going to have quite an impact on the city, i think. i could care less about the games, so if anybody want to rent our house for a couple of weeks, i am open to offers.

main and hastings is definitely quite a show. it has been unseasonably cold of late, which affects all the homeless people. a woman burned to death in a garbage bin last week trying to keep warm.

vancouver is a very attractive city with lots of outdoor activities, but lacks culture. it can be a bit dull and expensive too (by our standards).

the olympics are going to have quite an impact on the city, i think. i could care less about the games, so if anybody want to rent our house for a couple of weeks, i am open to offers.

is your missus canadian and will she be coming with the house rental?

I quite like the idea of a proper log cabin type house with a wardrobe full of checked lumberjack shirts. I also want bears roaming around outside, and a big fuck off rifle over the fireplace, with a mounted moose-head over it wearing a red and white scarf.

ah - you want the interior of BC then. a place like revelstoke, prince george or maybe the okanagan.

I'm thinking of upping sticks and fucking off to live somewhere else. I'm thinking in a selfless way, which country needs me most? With that in mind, I'm looking at emigrating to Canada.

Don't know much about the place though, other than roughly where it is.

Whereabout should I be looking to move the family Noos to? Anyone done this before? Any tips on how I go about it?

I've been on some canadian website and totted up my points, and I have plenty enough to qualify. Am I likely to be able to find work there? My missus is a primary school teacher - do they have teachers in Canada, and if so, could they use one more?

Any info or pointers greatly appreciated. What's the general cost/standard of living, and is it always fucking freezing and overrun with bears?

Not the fastest researcher in the world are you Noos?

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/91-canada.html

As if it were needed, more proof that setting fire to yourself in garbage is bad for your health.

I can see where you're coming from re the culture, but the fact that 20 mins out of the city and you're in some of the most stunning scenery in the world outweighs that for me.

Lot of good live music places there when I went too. And strip clubs.