You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Usual Suspects...

Chris

I like to bust out this film once every couple of years, just so I can be reminded of how great a medium cinema can be.

I did so this afternoon, lying in bed as I'm struggling with the flu, and even though I've seen it countless times was still absolutely amazed by it's sheer brilliance. In terms of just pure unadulterated brilliance, I don't think there's a better film that's ever been made.

Just waiting a couple of years before watching it is like watching it again for the second time, you pick up on all the little clues you're thrown.

Just ace.

Me and my mates used to do the "hand me the keys" bit constantly, and my mate Tony's impression of Fenster became something to behold. Problem is, i cannot watch any of the bits with Del Toro in it now without creasing up. It's an ace film, though.

That laughter during the line-up was totally unscripted too. Baldwin and Del Toro just toally cracked the bunch of them up with the way the ad-libbed those lines.

Me and my mates used to do the "hand me the keys" bit constantly, and my mate Tony's impression of Fenster became something to behold. Problem is, i cannot watch any of the bits with Del Toro in it now without creasing up. It's an ace film, though.

We still do!

• 5 years later...

Keyser Soze may be my favourite supervillian of all-time.

"The Hungarians knew Soze was tough, not to be trifled with, so they let him know they meant business. They tell him they want his territory, all his business. Soze looks over the faces of his family. Then he showed these men of will what will really was. He tells them he would rather see his family dead than live another day after this. He lets the last Hungarian go. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground, and then he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids. He kills their wives. He kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in. He kills people that owe him money."

I love the parents' friends bit. It's so unnecessary, but supervillians can never resist stuff like that.

• Upvote 1

I'd come home from a night shift a sat down with a couple of beers and to watch this for the very first time.

As my brother was walking out the front door to work he said 'the cripple is Keyser Soze'.

I had no idea what he was on about at the time but although i love the film I never had the opportunity to have that 'what the fuck' moment.

I'd come home from a night shift a sat down with a couple of beers and to watch this for the very first time.

As my brother was walking out the front door to work he said 'the cripple is Keyser Soze'.

I had no idea what he was on about at the time but although i love the film I never had the opportunity to have that 'what the fuck' moment.

How close are you and him?

Could you convince him to sign up to the forum? Because I would really like to neg him.

• Upvote 2

I LOVE that line-up scene. You can't help but laugh the moment Fenster steps up. They had loads of trouble filming that scene because they all just fell about laughing in every take. Bryan Singer was doing his nut in because they were wasting so much time doing retakes, but after seeing the rushes on the above take he decided to leave the laughter in because it humanised the characters. The guy asking "In English please" is the chap who wrote the screenplay, and that line was ad libbed to wind Benicio Del Toro up. Consequently, his "Excuse me?" and "What the fuck!" are both ad libbed too.

One of my all time favourites.

I ain't watched it in donkey's years and I've only seen it once. I thought the point was their was no keyser soze it was just all a fairy tale to distract the cops.

No, Soze exists. There's enough consistency between the justice department records and the burnt Hungarian, being interviewed by Gus Fring, to support that. Whether Soze is Kobayashi, Keaton, Kent, all of them, or none of them is the question.

What a despicable cunt. I hope you've since pissed on chips somehow.

Cunt I used to work with did the same on me with the Sixth Sense