You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Slagging off Soccer Saturday - 3rd Jan edition

Redder Lurtz

5 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Wasn't exactly the most diverse panel in fairness...

They were pretty shit, same old people for the last 20 odd years, I'll shed no tears just baffled Merson got a reprieve.

Stelling hasn't been the same since Danny Invincible retired.

When Merson isn’t trying to be contrary with his opinion he can actually make some interesting. He’s like when Owen speaks generally about football and you want to kill you’re entire family just so they jail you, but then he starts talking about why an attacker took the option he did and he proves to be really interesting. That’s the same with Merson. LeTissier was just an arsehole, Nicholas was utterly clueless, and Thompson didn’t offer anything. 

It’ll be interesting to see who replaces them. 

• Upvote 5

Alex Scott is just the female Jenas.  She’s just reading a script put in front of her.  She never has anything remotely interesting to say but because she’s pretty and doesn’t say anything controversial she’s always getting jobs.  The reality is the standard of football she’s played is closer to any man who’s played amateur Saturday or Sunday league than it is to the premier league.  You could pull any fella off the street and get them to do the job she does.  There’s no insight in to top level football.  It’s laughable that she’s on there at all and there’s only one reason why.  If she becomes a permanent fixture on Soccer Saturday the viewing figures will tank.

It seems odd that they’ve kept Merson and got rid of the rest.  I like him though.  He doesn’t fall for any of that anti-Gerrard shit or Scholes fantasy that the majority of the brainwashed do. He’s had a lot of problems and doesn’t come across as fake or trained the way so many of the pundits do.  He says a lot of daft stuff but he makes a lot of good points as well.

• Upvote 4

There is barely any 3pm kick offs any more, the show has become pointless. The 3 they got rid off offer nothing, Merson is at least entertaining.

They will definitely go down the diverse route, no problem with that once it's not Clinton Morrison or Micah Richards. Don't want any women either, if they want women have them host or set up a new show where they can talk us through the WPL.

Watching the show the last couple of years, I felt the show was tired and crying out for some fresh pundits, and maybe even a new presenter. 

I wonder if Le Tissier talked himself out of a job with his refusal to wear a BLM badge? He misjudged the mood and made himself look a bit of a dinosaur, even if he may have had a point about some of the “far left” demands of the UK movement. I never liked him anyway, he comes across as a Peter Shilton/Chris Waddle Britain knows best Kipper. 

As for Thommo, I read that he’s been appearing on the show for 22 years. I think it’s fair to say he’s had a good run at it. 

• Upvote 3

I never used to bother about SS in the early or even mid days of it's life. I came to it late on and used to watch for the updates on our aways.

The thing with the SS panel, whether you liked or intensely disliked the 4 main panelists, was that each of them had played at the very top of the professional game. I think Im right saying only Le Tiss hadnt won anything as a pro.

And that to me is the difference between the exiting panel and those being talked about to take over. Morrison? He can hardly string a coherent sentence together. Richards? I just dont think he gives an insight from a top player's perspective. Alex Scott? I dont know,she could just as easily be Alex Jones off the One Show or a myriad of the other women who occupy the sofa on breakfast tv.

Sorry, I dont want no marks like McInally, Cottee, Morrison, Richards or Scott talking to me about top level football just to fill some diversity or woke culture that seems prevalent nowadays. I'll take my viewership elsewhere, thanks.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Sorry, I dont want no marks like McInally, Cottee, Morrison, Richards or Scott talking to me about top level football just to fill some diversity or woke culture that seems prevalent nowadays. I'll take my viewership elsewhere, thanks.

Who would you recommend?

It's depressing to think that any black ex-pro who gets the gig will be portrayed as having got it due to PC tokenism. In truth, if you were to select candidates among top-level pros who have retired in, say, the last 5 years or so, it would be perverse (to say the least) if you selected a panel of three white men.

• Upvote 4