You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The new doctor

WaltonRed

It's like people aren't aware of just jow many US shows get cancelled every year after just a few episodes. Don't confuse the last decade of cable TVs relative benevolence as the norm, it isn't.

I do think that people sometimes confuse USTV with good TV. Stuff Elementary and Gotham is real run of the mill fare.

Even Elementary, Gotham, Arrow, SHIELD, and other shoes like it are dramatically more watchable than the vast majority of shows here. There is occasionally something okay here, but when talking about proper scripted shows, the US is significantly better. I'm not sure why anybody would argue that.

It's like people aren't aware of just jow many US shows get cancelled every year after just a few episodes. Don't confuse the last decade of cable TVs relative benevolence as the norm, it isn't.

I do think that people sometimes confuse USTV with good TV. Stuff Elementary and Gotham is real run of the mill fare.

No I agree with that, I think there's a huge amount of garbage out there, but even with the new funding model of Netflix and Amazon I've seen two top shows this last year or so in Mr Robot and Man in the High Castle, pretty groundbreaking telly. 

For the good quality of US stuff there is an absolute lorry load of shite,even among the same franchise. For instance I used to really enjoy Law and Order yet the Special Victims one is absolute wank. I thought CSI was a decent idea and watched and then the Miami one was wank beyond belief. They tend to milk a winning formula until its shite.

I can't comment too much on British tv as I barely watch it,although I see snippets of absolute rubbish and the same faces pop up everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Even Elementary, Gotham, Arrow, SHIELD, and other shoes like it are dramatically more watchable than the vast majority of shows here. There is occasionally something okay here, but when talking about proper scripted shows, the US is significantly better. I'm not sure why anybody would argue that.

I disagree, I think Gotham is a terrible show that gets by because it's based on Batman.

Also no one argues that the US produces great TV. We argue that, relative to scale, the UK does too.

No I agree with that, I think there's a huge amount of garbage out there, but even with the new funding model of Netflix and Amazon I've seen two top shows this last year or so in Mr Robot and Man in the High Castle, pretty groundbreaking telly.

Here's the sneaky bit, most Netflix stuff is garbage. Their goal is just to produce content that will eventually mean you subscribe for that and they won't have to buy other companies libraries. People see Netflix as a mark of quality but in reality it isn't. They have way more stinkers than hits. You know what was a popular show on there, well received by audiences and critics in the US? The Crown. UK produced with US money, have any of us seen it? Probably not because none of us like that style of show. Instead we watch stuff like House of Cards which has been poorly rated for years now but it looks the part which is half the battle for UK audiences of US shows it seems.

BTW Mr Robot is not an Amazon show, it's just aired on there in the UK. Man in the High Castle is high concept but I don't think it's a great show, it's got major problems running through it.

Here's the sneaky bit, most Netflix stuff is garbage. Their goal is just to produce content that will eventually mean you subscribe for that and they won't have to buy other companies libraries. People see Netflix as a mark of quality but in reality it isn't. They have way more stinkers than hits. You know what was a popular show on there, well received by audiences and critics in the US? The Crown. UK produced with US money, have any of us seen it? Probably not because none of us like that style of show. Instead we watch stuff like House of Cards which has been poorly rated for years now.

BTW Mr Robot is not an Amazon show, it's just aired on there in the UK. Man in the High Castle is high concept but I don't think it's a great show, it's got major problems running through it.

I agree with that too, Netflix churns out loads of shit, don't know why I bother with it. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with that too, Netflix churns out loads of shit, don't know why I bother with it. 

Because it has 'Netflix' badged on it and you think "I liked Stranger Things so I'll give this a go". It's what a lot of people do and the crazy thing is that a lot of the stuff just gets added on there without fanfare or reviews either so the only way to find out is to watch. By which time they've got the algorithm working out what to produce next. Let's see what people think of Ozark next; released on Friday, starring two solid names and a crime drama. It's been given some average reviews so far but is actually reviewed because it's a prestige release.

I think on the whole the output from the US of the last decade isn't really that great. It's just that they use all the mechanisms they have to get people hooked. I know so many people who watch shows just because they started them, not because they find them genuinely interesting. Especially with the more light-hearted stuff, it becomes like hanging out with a group of friends (a mechanism of the classic soap operas). But I see many people who never used to watched TV shows at all - because they weren't interested or didn't have the time - binge show after show. ANd when you ask them whether they liked it they'll say "Meh, it was alright like"

I think on the whole the output from the US of the last decade isn't really that great. It's just that they use all the mechanisms they have to get people hooked. I know so many people who watch shows just because they started them, not because they find them genuinely interesting. Especially with the more light-hearted stuff, it becomes like hanging out with a group of friends (a mechanism of the classic soap operas). But I see many people who never used to watched TV shows at all - because they weren't interested or didn't have the time - binge show after show. ANd when you ask them whether they liked it they'll say "Meh, it was alright like"

Having watched 20 episodes of "designated survivor" and mildly enjoyed it I can agree with this

I find that no single media or streaming service is quite good enough and this bothers me. We subscribe to Netflix, which we use to watch Always Sunny, Rick and Morty and Master of None. We took a 6 month, £50 trial of Now TV for Netflix, Twin Peaks and the odd film but both are swamped with terrible shows and films.

Both of these and I still find I either need to buy DVDs or can't watch something as its on Amazon.

It tasks me and I don't care for it. I've resisted the urge to give up on physical media for a while but at least with music, in the form of Spotify, I feel that I have access to almost everything I could want to listen to, that isn't the case with TV.

• Upvote 3

I find that no single media or streaming service is quite good enough and this bothers me. We subscribe to Netflix, which we use to watch Always Sunny, Rick and Morty and Master of None. We took a 6 month, £50 trial of Now TV for Netflix, Twin Peaks and the odd film but both are swamped with terrible shows and films.

Both of these and I still find I either need to buy DVDs or can't watch something as its on Amazon.

It tasks me and I don't care for it. I've resisted the urge to give up on physical media for a while but at least with music, in the form of Spotify, I feel that I have access to almost everything I could want to listen to, that isn't the case with TV.

It will get worse as Netflix continue to not renew different libraries because their own content library has grown so much. It just happened in the US as legacy stuff like the X-Files and Buffy disappeared from Netflix. In the end owning physical media will continue to be the best process for film and TV because, as you say, there's no way they'll all link up like Spotify. So in the end we'll end up paying more as companies become aware that selling to Netflix is dumb when you can run your own content library. It'll be a fractured market kinda like when the competition committee said the Premier League couldn't just sell to one broadcaster anymore because it wasn't competitive. Suddenly Setanta came on the scene and we're all paying an extra sub to them instead of just the one to Sky.

Have you got kids? It'll come into its own then.

Have you got kids? It'll come into its own then.

No, we don't. The nieces and nephews always want it on when they come but they just want to watch constant shite because it's easy to access and there to watch so we don't let them.

I try and make them play board games with me, they hate me.

Anyway, female Doctor. Yup, all for it. I also agree with RK that it's plastering over a bigger issue but also that small positive steps Re still positive steps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...