You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Civilization Games

Section_31

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any tips for this game?

I thought I was doing quite well but the chinese built up an army and fucking destroyed me. It's my own fault for declaring war but I will have to learn some strategies.

Schoolboy error there, you only go to war on your own terms - just like in real life. If someone comes at you and you're not ready, give them loads of money and stuff to get them to back down, or bribe someone else to defend you.

Their time will come later.

Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical. If it is to your advantage, make a forward move; if not, stay where you are. Anger may in time change to gladness; vexation may be succeeded by content.

Any tips for this game?

I thought I was doing quite well but the chinese built up an army and fucking destroyed me. It's my own fault for declaring war but I will have to learn some strategies.

I find that if you aren't somewhere near the lead in the scientific race then you are fucked. The Bonus' for being the firt to discover a technology can tunr the game. Free city wall for getting to Masonry first and a free mill for getting to Construction first are always trargets of mine. Ramps up the security and production of the main city in about ten quick turns.

• 7 months later...

My head is seriously fucked here.

Been playing as the Romans, and developed myself a nice little cavalry army. I was facing a race against time before the Americans started developing railroad and some decent units so thought I'd smoke the cunts. I took four of their cities but couldn't take another crucial two which would have boxed them in good style.

What pissed me off though was the units they were defending with were the likes of fucking swordsmen! Swordsmen wiping the floor with rifle carrying cavalry!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Now I'm going to have to break off and research some tanks instead, by the time I've got them ready though these cunts will have railroads and will be able to move their defencive units around at will. I'm fucking pissed off here.

Once whilst playing Civ III the AI started moving troops onto an hill overlooking my borders, I never knew how many there were but it took 47 minutes to complete the move!! And 4 ICBMs to kill them all. It’s never happened again, anyone else had this size of move/attack?

It taught me a good tactic for future wars though, when it’s getting near end game and it’s just you and one other; leave a deliberate weak point in your defence. The AI will send all his troops to that point every time.

Right I've managed to turn this situation around. I've taken five cities off the cunts and managed to get the Greeks to invade from the other side, they're on the run good style and I'm chasing their troops and picking them off one at a time. Going to be a hard slog pushing on though. Persians are sniffing around my northern border at the mo though, I'm wondering if they're going to try and take advantage - cunts.

I've also secured not one but two supplies of coal thanks to this little expedition, good times.

• 1 year later...

Civ 5 is out on the 21st of September apparently. Just looking at some of the changes and it looks interesting. You can't just load a square with troops as I think it's one set of units in each heaxagon (it's now a hexagonal map as opposed to squares) and as such ranged units are going to be important. Looks like the happiness of the nation is a bit different too. I'm getting back from holiday around the release date and I know I'm going to hit this hard.

Civ 5 is out on the 21st of September apparently. Just looking at some of the changes and it looks interesting. You can't just load a square with troops as I think it's one set of units in each heaxagon (it's now a hexagonal map as opposed to squares) and as such ranged units are going to be important. Looks like the happiness of the nation is a bit different too. I'm getting back from holiday around the release date and I know I'm going to hit this hard.

I can't wait for this game, loved the other sid meier games.

What system you getting it on?

I got CIV 4 in the end but got bored pretty quick. I had some cavalry and they got fucked off by some pikemen, bollocks to that.

Civ 2 on the Playstation still remains my favourite version believe it or not, the ability to sow the seeds of distrust between nations - being kept updated on who was at war with who, and being able to put outpost cities on rival continents without the fear of them 'falling' to cultural influence made it much stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got it and realised that my system is nowhere near good enough to play it. I think that the missus may think I'm insane as I'm now checking internet forums with titles such as "Can I get a good laptop for Civ5 for under $1000?"

My system has needed re-vamping for a bit so maybe this is the final push (I have to tell myself that for my own pride, I can't help but feel that spending £600 to play a £30 game is the act of a lunatic).

I am Stu's crushing sense of dissapointment.

I have two hamsters running about in a wheel and one of them is getting on a bit.

The game requires a minimum of a dual processor and 2bg of RAM, I think, and it recommends a quad processor and 4gb of ram. I reckon that this is the nudge I need to get myself a funky new machine. I feel that the people of the TNF may well be of some worth in this purchase evaluation process.

Your genes have produced a female spawn that plays Civ.

They are some seriously classy genes you got there my man.

She is better then me at it.

I had spent ages constantly bombing a city with my battleship and guided missile and could only get the health bar down to just above gone but could get it no lower.

She comes downstairs to tell me that she had taken over Monaco and Vienna and was in the process of taking over another city and showed me that i should just send in my infantry when the health bar is so low.

Cocky little shit.

• 4 months later...