You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Civilization Games

Section_31

Fucking love them.

Been bored lately after bleading all of my HBO boxsets to death, so started playing CIV III again (my PC can't handle the fourth one, which is a shame)

I've revisisted one of the games I saved ages ago but haven't touched for about a year. At the time I was involved in a stalemate with the French (I was Roman) and we'd pretty much divided the planet between us.

We've got the same level of technology, but I've managed to build some ICBMs and am going to fuck them up in the next two days or so. I've also got a crafty little city established just on the tip of their main landmass that they don't know about, I'm going to slip some tactical nukes and a SAM battery in there at some point tonight, and wait for the coming of the dawn.

Good times.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know how but when I was younger I found civ II and loved it, but it broke due to overuse and recently I found the disc and wanted to play it so badly so I downloaded it and am back to my addiction.

I might check out civ 3. Do you still get the throne room where your people randomly like you and give you an upgrade?

The Civ games all have the same problem, once you get to the modern era your maintenance costs can get a bit too high if you have a huge empire and too much micro-management becomes a huge problem later in the game. Of course, having colonies or whatever you do when you give several cities independence helps but you lose control and they can rebel against you if they become too powerful.

And the ancient eras don't last long enough, even on the longest type of game I rarely have wars or epic invasions.

I dont know how but when I was younger I found civ II and loved it, but it broke due to overuse and recently I found the disc and wanted to play it so badly so I downloaded it and am back to my addiction.

I might check out civ 3. Do you still get the throne room where your people randomly like you and give you an upgrade?

Yeah, the only down side with 3 is that you can't stir shit between rival empires, plus you're not really kept up to date with who's fighting who. You don't really feel that involved in the 'world', at least not as much as you do in Civ II IMO.

Ive never felt like that on civ 2 tbh, I dont go for days long games, although I might try it. I just go on when Im bored and feel like trying to destroy everyone as fast as I can.

Reading your responses now though I think I should give atleast one game a go without going into cheat mode.

Civ II was ok, but the AI sucked balls. They never ever used aerial or naval dominance and would occassionally place a god damn new settlement in the middle of your Empire because there were no borders, Civ 4 is the best so far but it was a disgrace when it was first released, lazy ass devs.

How is it different from when it was first released Phily? Have they released patches or a fully updated version to buy?

I hit the Xbox version hard when it came out. It's really playable even thought the micro management has been scaled down.

The first version I played was Civ II on the Playstation and that was the bollcoks, even though the graphics were probably the worst I've seen since the 80s.

How is it different from when it was first released Phily? Have they released patches or a fully updated version to buy?

Just the usual lazy dev fucks, it was unplayable when released for about a week cause they delayed the patch and if you unveiled more than a continent or played on a huge map (The only way to play) it usually took five minutes to load if you zoomed out. Its good if you patch it, and most versions now should be patch well.

I also liked the expansion pack, that made the game a lot better since you had the future technology era for reals so you had mechnical metal gear like robots, augmented police, space elevators, giant domes, mind control to keep all your citizens happy and other awesome shit. The only crap part was that they made out that you could advance to the space age, but its just another addon instead of actually advancing into the space age and there are no aliens, just corporations.

The French pounced before, the sneaky fuckers, as I feared they would after I finished off the last Russian colony.

I took out about 30 of their tanks and four of their cities on my own continent, them I hit them with 18 nuclear weapons BUT the cunts hit me back with five and crucially, they managed to overwhelm the one city I had on their landmass, where I was planning to airlift all my tanks to clean up the nuclear mess.

Back to the drawing board on this one, this AI is going DOWN!!!

Don't use nukes, it just turns the world against you.

Try out Civ Call to Power too, its pretty old but it was like a really really good Civ II but it didn't get much attention cause it wasn't official.

Civilization: Call to Power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its like a better Civ 2, and it goes to the year 3000 or something stupid like that with lots of cool tech. I think you can create nanobots that destroy all nuclear weapons in the world.

Don't use nukes, it just turns the world against you.

Try out Civ Call to Power too, its pretty old but it was like a really really good Civ II but it didn't get much attention cause it wasn't official.

Civilization: Call to Power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its like a better Civ 2, and it goes to the year 3000 or something stupid like that with lots of cool tech. I think you can create nanobots that destroy all nuclear weapons in the world.

There's no world left to turn against me, I've conquered them all - except the French!

I've got Call to Power and I'm not a big fan to be honest Phily.

I only played it a bit, but never got far cause my computer was shit when I had it. Did seem like it might've got a bit complicated and buggy at times, but I did like the start.

I've never conquered the world in Civilization though, I'm never able to get enough troops on other continents and the best I do is form a blockade and bomb them into submission, get a few cities on their side of the world and make them a protectorate so I don't have to do anything, send them a few techs, keep them happy etc.

I only played it a bit, but never got far cause my computer was shit when I had it. Did seem like it might've got a bit complicated and buggy at times, but I did like the start.

I've never conquered the world in Civilization though, I'm never able to get enough troops on other continents and the best I do is form a blockade and bomb them into submission, get a few cities on their side of the world and make them a protectorate so I don't have to do anything, send them a few techs, keep them happy etc.

The way to do it is mirror Nazi military tactics, develop lots of modern armour, and then pick off the smaller races - while negotiating peace treaties with the ones who can hurt you.

The more territory you control, the bigger your industrial base. Then, once you've built up your force to take on the big hitters, just target their big cities, this cripples their production (as this is where most of their units are built)

I shall be using Nukes for this purpose with the french, Paris is a shopping cart - from here on out.

Not a big fan of turn-based strategy games, but love me some WWII real-time strategy. You got Company of Heroes Secsh? I'd say you and that game were made for each other.

Its superb, get to use tanks, artillery etc to blow shit up (mostly nazis). Great fun.

To be honest mate I'm not a big fan of realtime strategy, never been that fussed on Command and Conquer either, I prefer the longterm planning aspects of putting a city right up someone's arse, and knowing that in eight hours or so I'll be able to launch the complete anhialation of another race from it's barracks.

To be honest mate I'm not a big fan of realtime strategy, never been that fussed on Command and Conquer either, I prefer the longterm planning aspects of putting a city right up someone's arse, and knowing that in eight hours or so I'll be able to launch the complete anhialation of another race from it's barracks.

In that case, you got more patience than me amigo.

Civ II was ok, but the AI sucked balls. They never ever used aerial or naval dominance and would occassionally place a god damn new settlement in the middle of your Empire because there were no borders, Civ 4 is the best so far but it was a disgrace when it was first released, lazy ass devs.

Ive got a good game going on civ2 now using the ww2 scenario and because Ive wiped out the allies and the french on mainland europe and asia and africa theyre just left on america and england the only thing theyre using is ships and planes. Im quietly storing up a load of transporters near lisbon though packing them with tanks to go and storm the remaining allies cities. I dont know if I should turn on spain and russia though just to keep the game going a bit longer.

I love the long term planning it makes me think so much more than RTS games. I used to love CIV 2 never been a fan of Rise to Power I just got bored.

However the best Strategy game is Medieval Total War 2. Its absoloutley immense. Its got the mix of Long term planning and the 3D battles are amazing. Diplomacy is great and the pope makes it more intersting as I cant go on a rampage without consequences. Nothing better than defending your City against a mass of enemy troops and seige weapons.

Its so bloody challenging in my current game (HRE) which I havent touched in a while I was absolutley kicking arse until the AI ganged up on me I am now at war Denmark to the North, France to the West and Milan & Sicily to the South as I was excommunicated oh and not to mention my ongoing wars with the all 3 muslim nations on account of my love of a crusade before becoming the subject of one.

In fact I will load that bad boy up on my day off!

I've just developed an anti-missile shield and have a stockpile of 30 nuclear weapons good to go. I've also managed to bolster my city in France with shit loads of armour - motherfuckers are gonna pay!

Tell you what though, the AI on this level of difficulty is pretty sharp, Joah of Arc knows some shit is going down and has been bringing her troops back to the mainland from various little outposts. She's also trying to track my nuclear missile submarines along her coast and I keep having to move them whenever a ship comes sniffing, proper cold war chase and evade shit.

Quality, she's in big trouble though - mark my words.

Further updates to follow.

This is the Commander. Moments ago, this ship received word that a Roman attack against our homeland is under way. We do not know the size or the disposition or the strength of the enemy forces, but all indications point to a massive assault against French defenses. Admiral Nagala has taken personal command of the Fleet aboard the battlestar Atlantia following the complete destruction of Picon Fleet Headquarters in the first wave of the attacks. "How? Why?" doesn't really matter now. What does matter is that as of this moment, we are at war. You've trained for this. You're ready for this. Stand to your duties, trust your fellow shipmates, and we'll all get through this. Further updates as we get them. Thank you.

I can indeed announce that I have finally swept aside the French. 35 nuclear weapons and 100 modern armour, didn't bother conquering, just wiped them out. A good time was had by all - except them. Tanacious to the last though, not really a realistic representation to be honest.