You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

xmas lights/council estate

windass

why do tenants put them up at least 4 weeks prior to xmas? they have no taste in decorations at all. its all about attention seeking, outdoing each other.

Dean

I like seeing lights on houses. They may be scrubbers but colourful, flashing scrubbers.

They are tacky as hell, but the kids love them. I always get it in the neck that we don't even have a set of lights when the house down the road looks like Las Vegas and also has an 8 foot inflatable Homer dressed as Santa.

Has anyone noticed that such displays of vugarity reached a peak a couple of years ago, but there doesn't seem to be as many around now? I wonder how much it costs on the old lecky? I'm like Jim Royle, me. I go off my head if someone leaves a 40w lightbulb on. My head would probably explode if I had to pay for the electric to light up the street.

why do tenants put them up at least 4 weeks prior to xmas? they have no taste in decorations at all. its all about attention seeking, outdoing each other.

Dean

It's called Advent, starts 4 Sundays before Christmas and means that Christmas starts here. Perhaps all these peeps are God fearing Christians?:whistle:

They can look ok, went past a huge house in Cardiff yesterday, looked bloody brilliant, then got lost went through some hell hole of an estate and it looked positively shite.

I think allot comes down to the taste, the huge house stuck to a winter theme, no blow up santa and no plastic snow man, just blue and white lights and enlarged snow flakes, im not easily impressed when it comes to christmas lights, or christmas for that matter but this one had me slowing my car down to look pissing off the person behind me.

There's an ace one on the road into Carmarthen where the entire house, stables, the lot gets decked out in a winter theme. Not an over the top "Comedy boots sticking out of the chimney" type tacky affair, but just well placed light decorations and so on. All for a good cause, too, as they collect donations for the Air Ambulance.

People don't seem to go for the tacky stuff around here, it's all rather understated with just a few rope lights in the trees outside and so on. Makes the place look rather nice, in my opinion.

Does that house in Kremlin Drive in Stoneycroft still get all decked out? They used to have it open for people to wander around. I remember going in one day after taking 4 Purple Oms, it was the best 10 minutes of my life

One of my mum's mates really goes to town on hers, it looks like the kind of house Dynamo from the Running Man would live in.

She sends her 70-year-old husband up on the roof every year to put the sleigh up, and I'm always on hand with a camera in case he falls as it would make an excellent page five lead.

It's on the Lampeter-Carmarthen road, just past Alltwalis.

I'm not sure they've got it all together yet, I've not been that way for the last week or so and it's normally around now they set it all up. Certainly, the last few years it's been all rather groovy.

passed a nifty one near forge, tacky but bright...

nasty accident near Aberystwyth i think, had to go via Tregaron, shitty crappy roads.

I dont get it, i mean, do they bring any pleasure, or is it a compete against the street thing???

passed a nifty one near forge, tacky but bright...

nasty accident near Aberystwyth i think, had to go via Tregaron, shitty crappy roads.

Was this on the way to Cardigan? You probably passed very close to where I live then, if you went the way I imagine you did.

The roads around Tregaron are ace on the motorbike. Well, in the couple of weeks a year that they're actually dry that is.

One of my mum's mates really goes to town on hers, it looks like the kind of house Dynamo from the Running Man would live in.

She sends her 70-year-old husband up on the roof every year to put the sleigh up, and I'm always on hand with a camera in case he falls as it would make an excellent page five lead.

Take a camcorder instead, you could get £250 from you've been framed