You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Police are cunts

Malarkey

2 hours ago, Boss said:

Yeah, very true. As you say, It's an even more abhorrent case that has seemingly gone under the radar. Both crimes are a tremendous abuse of power against victims that are powerless to stop it.

I guess the police officer case creates more buzz because it plays on societal fears of a killer loose on the streets. But it subverts the standard trope with the idea that the killer in question is the same person tasked with protecting you. Both cases are the same in that respect, but one has a male committing the crimes, which allows people - with their own agendas - to piggyback off this tragedy to espouse their views on the patriarchy and what needs to change.

And she’s not been tried yet so there are reporting restrictions in place so as not to prejudice the trial.  

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

In other news, Lucy Letbie appeared in Liverpoool court today accused of 8 murders and 5 attempted murders. Half the GF still would though. 

image.jpeg

Hell of "other news" that. Maybe the topic of male violence against women has gone on for, ooh two or three days now, so it's time to switch the subject to awful women. Snakes with tits the lot of them. They're all the same.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

And she’s not been tried yet so there are reporting restrictions in place so as not to prejudice the trial.  

And the trial isn't until next October as well.  Massive cuts to the CPS budget (and the nature of this case) making this one of the longest cases in recent history.  I think she was arrested two years ago - worked at Stepping Hill, didn't she?

14 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

And the trial isn't until next October as well.  Massive cuts to the CPS budget (and the nature of this case) making this one of the longest cases in recent history.  I think she was arrested two years ago - worked at Stepping Hill, didn't she?

Not sure, I do live in the serial killer triangle.  She’d only be the second one in that hospital though.  It’s like a Stephen King novel round here. 

11 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Hell of "other news" that. Maybe the topic of male violence against women has gone on for, ooh two or three days now, so it's time to switch the subject to awful women. Snakes with tits the lot of them. They're all the same.

My point was the level of public outrage attached to murders is inconsistent and mostly amplified by the press. Take 2 cases; 

Sarah Everet - horrible case which attracted loads of publicity. 

sarah Hussain - found on fire in a street in Bury in July.  Unclear if it was suicide or murder but she told the paramedics it was murder. 3 men released on bail ! Barely a mention in the national press and the inquest adjourned to February 2022. 

25 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

My point was the level of public outrage attached to murders is inconsistent and mostly amplified by the press. Take 2 cases; 

sarah Hussain - found on fire in a street in Bury in July.  Unclear if it was suicide or murder but she told the paramedics it was murder. 3 men released on bail ! Barely a mention in the national press and the inquest adjourned to February 2022. 

It was on the news up here. Honour killings don’t get much press though. You decide why. 

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It was on the news up here. Honour killings don’t get much press though. You decide why. 

Its still under investigation isn't it wether it was suicide or not? I'm sure I read that she also told a neighbour she'd done it to herself. 

I think a young girl getting murdered by a met cop while walking home in a leafy part of the capital city is always going to get more publicity than a young girl murdered/committing suicide in working class Bury. A house in Salford where 4 kids and their mum got firebombed and killed got less national coverage than the Sarah Everard case. 

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

That always happens

However I think the sarah Everard case has rightly shone a light on wider issues such as  male on female violence and the role of the police.

If your first reaction to stories of sexual violence against women and the backlash that arises from them is to say "not all men are like that", you've really not got your priorities straight.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Have I missed something here. She has pleaded not guilty so won't the press be careful about what they print and how much they print so as not to prejudice the trial? 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Have I missed something here. She has pleaded not guilty so won't the press be careful about what they print and how much they print so as not to prejudice the trial? 

Yes your'e right, she did plead not guilty. The original investigation started in 2017 so it will be 5 years before it comes to trial. Reading what is in the public domain, I don't think they have got much more than expert opinions on statistics and probabilities, more deaths than could be reasonably expected for an ante natal unit and she was always on duty when they happened.  The CPS obviously think they have a case but unless they have got something much more substantial up their sleeve than maths, I think it will be pretty unlikely she will get convicted. 

22 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

No agenda, violence against women is obviously much higher and unacceptable but when we encounter what the CPS think is a female mass murderer of children, the public outrage seems surprisingly muted. My point was that public outage to murders is inconsistent and unpredictable. Without googling, I couldn’t name one of those kids. 

This time of year my facebook memories are awful reading. I lived near Machynlleth, i knew a little girls family, i knew a leisure centre attendant, that same attendant prevented my child trying to walk on water a few times. That little girl (rightly so) made frontline headlines for weeks. A little boy of a different ethnicity a few years later in Edinburgh didn't get anywhere near as much coverage. The media has an agenda, they want to appeal to the masses. It certainly won't sit right with the political and media agenda that a female medical professional has been charged with this. 

The media control what we see, there will be an agenda somewhere that wants this to play on. It could simply be to play on womens fears, it could be that certain politicians are trying to change met funding but then i'd be considered a bit of a conspiracy nut job. 

Is it really surprising that the public outrage depends on what they've been drip fed?

You could go back through loads of my old posts, i'm probably seen as a massive man hater, i'm genuinely not. I hate bullies, i hate abusers, i hate men that seem to think they have a power over women and children. Don't get me wrong, i'll pull up gobshite women with the same attitude and i'm acutely aware there are some absolutely awful women out there. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, melons said:

This time of year my facebook memories are awful reading. I lived near Machynlleth, i knew a little girls family, i knew a leisure centre attendant, that same attendant prevented my child trying to walk on water a few times. That little girl (rightly so) made frontline headlines for weeks. A little boy of a different ethnicity a few years later in Edinburgh didn't get anywhere near as much coverage. The media has an agenda, they want to appeal to the masses. It certainly won't sit right with the political and media agenda that a female medical professional has been charged with this. 

The media control what we see, there will be an agenda somewhere that wants this to play on. It could simply be to play on womens fears, it could be that certain politicians are trying to change met funding but then i'd be considered a bit of a conspiracy nut job. 

Is it really surprising that the public outrage depends on what they've been drip fed?

You could go back through loads of my old posts, i'm probably seen as a massive man hater, i'm genuinely not. I hate bullies, i hate abusers, i hate men that seem to think they have a power over women and children. Don't get me wrong, i'll pull up gobshite women with the same attitude and i'm acutely aware there are some absolutely awful women out there. 

I don’t think you’re a man hater, you seem pretty sound and I suspect this is a tough place to post as a woman.

Anyway I think you’re right, the media pick which stories to run with and the public react accordingly. The Sarah everet murder was awful, shocking and thankfully very rare which is why it got so much attention. The Sarah Hussain death was ambiguous (maybe suicide) but if it was a domestic killing then depressingly common. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Em City said:

If your first reaction to stories of sexual violence against women and the backlash that arises from them is to say "not all men are like that", you've really not got your priorities straight.

That directed at me? 

17 hours ago, Em City said:

Take your well made point but is that not the same as "Police are cunts?"

Hate this thread title. If I'm in the shit I ain't calling Ghostbusters.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Take your well made point but is that not the same as "Police are cunts?"

Hate this thread title. If I'm in the shit I ain't calling Ghostbusters.

Watching that 24 Hours in Police Custody is always an antidote.  And people generally want the number of police that would mean they’d be able to respond very quickly to their house if someone was trying to break down the front door.  

There are undoubtedly issues with the police, but that’s because they have to recruit from the human race. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rb14 said:

That directed at me? 

Not specifically, no. Moreso at the type of posts that cite some supposed equivalence between male and female psychopathy, whatever that is supposed to entail.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Em City said:

Not specifically, no. Moreso at the type of posts that cite some supposed equivalence between male and female psychopathy, whatever that is supposed to entail.

In light of this case, I hope for the same solutions as everybody else. I hope it does bring about police reform, and there is a more stringent vetting process put in place. I hope they create an organisation separate from the police, that carries out investigations into crimes committed by the police force. Taking away their inherent bias in investigating themselves, and their ability to obfuscate these crimes.

The psychopath discussion is relevant (in regards to this case) because psychopaths can only really harm others when they are in a position of power above them. A person's actions are most defined by how they treat people society has deemed below them. The lesson of the Nazi's, was not: look at these crazy nutters that killed millions of Jews. What possessed them? The moral of the story, is that all of us are capable of heinous actions collectively. All it takes is a government that emboldens, within us, the ability to subjugate somebody else.

Couzens used his power to take the life of somebody that trusted him. Someone that couldn't fight back. It's abhorrent what he did, and he'll spend the rest of his life behind bars. It shouldn't be used as a vehicle to punish men as a whole, or to imply typical male behaviour is on the same spectrum as pre-meditated rape and murder. That's all I'm saying.

9 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Watching that 24 Hours in Police Custody is always an antidote.  And people generally want the number of police that would mean they’d be able to respond very quickly to their house if someone was trying to break down the front door.  

There are undoubtedly issues with the police, but that’s because they have to recruit from the human race. 

Exactly. 

Residents in Norris Green always questioned why there was no police presence, it was because no-one reported anything.

Deffo  issues there and like most professionals the odd cunt slips through.

14 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Maybe actually doing something when one of them does something wrong would be a step in the right direction ?