You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shannon Mathews' Mother and Uncle Found Guilty

Section_31

Why wouldn't I be?

If it was me, I would thank my lucky stars it happened. She now has a chance of doing something with her life.

I doubt anyone would argue it's been a blessing in disguise for the girl but that's not the point you made is it ? As I asked, do you think the experience has just been magicked out of her memory ?

Oh fuck off

Yeah what a great thing to experience. Snd if you were here,how the fuck do you know how youd react aftet going through that.

I didn't say it was a great thing to experience. And a lot of people have had adversity in their life, so let's not pretend she's unique in that regard. If you're not over something after 9 years, it's a safe bet you'll never be over it, so a TV drama is unlikely to make a jot of difference.

Wouldn't you say it was important that people get an appreciation of what happened here, and that that outweighs any other considerations? I don't believe in sweeping stuff under the carpet.

If you bring it down to brass tacks - is she better off out of that environment? I would say yes. Maybe others don't agree.

I haven't seen the show so I can't comment on how people are portrayed. I read a few articles with the two ladies who managed to get Karen Matthews to confess and they seemed to have been able to tell their side of the story through the show. Real life dramatisations that aren't far removed from the events are common, not long ago there was the show about Joanna Yeates' landlord Christopher Jeffries, a man who was pilloried because he looked odd. Joanna Yeates' and her murder weren't the explicit subject, just like Shannon Matthews hasn't been made the explicit subject of the show (apparently, again I can only go off of reviews), it's about how the community reacted. It was a large story that intrigued lots of the population, including many on here, and drew lots of satire about the behaviour of Karen Matthews; I think it's an appropriate subject albeit one that does interest me.

SD really doesn't help himself sometimes but he's once again everyone's favourite kicking object.

I haven't seen the show so I can't comment on how people are portrayed. I read a few articles with the two ladies who managed to get Karen Matthews to confess and they seemed to have been able to tell their side of the story through the show. Real life dramatisations that aren't far removed from the events are common, not long ago there was the show about Joanna Yeates' landlord Christopher Jeffries, a man who was pilloried because he looked odd. Joanna Yeates' and her murder weren't the explicit subject, just like Shannon Matthews hasn't been made the explicit subject of the show (apparently, again I can only go off of reviews), it's about how the community reacted. It was a large story that intrigued lots of the population, including many on here, and drew lots of satire about the behaviour of Karen Matthews; I think it's an appropriate subject albeit one that does interest me.

SD really doesn't help himself sometimes but he's once again everyone's favourite kicking object.

Was talking to a mate about it last night how they portrayed Karen Matthews. Plenty may not agree with me but I thought the portrayal of her was one stage away from someone with down syndrome. 

Was talking to a mate about it last night how they portrayed Karen Matthews. Plenty may not agree with me but I thought the portrayal of her was one stage away from someone with down syndrome. 

Again, I haven't seen the show, but reading some of the contemporary news reports and some retrospectives, I don't think Karen Matthews was the brightest bulb in the box.

If that part of the program is true, who was the "other" person the police was hinting at had something to do with it? Because Karen and the uncle were too stupid to think of it by themselves. As for that Julie woman, why on earth would you allow a woman to manipulate and make a complete tit out of you and proudly and publicly back her, what a moron. I appreciate that she was her friend and said she didn't want to abandon her but how evil and sly Karen Matthews was there's not many people who would stay by her side, she must be a fool.

Shannon Mathews is now 18? What SD said is pathetic, it's only 9 years ago after all, it takes some people a lot longer to get over grief. She went through something that not many people go through and has to deal with it every single day, how can you forget something so appalling and none of us know the full extent of what them kids went through on a day to day basis, who knows what that Peado and Karen Matthews did to them. I agree that the portrayal from Theons sister was borderline Down's syndrome, she surely can't be that thick in real life? On the program it was as if she didn't live in the real world and acted like she was the 9 year old.

I agree that the portrayal from Theons sister was borderline Down's syndrome, she surely can't be that thick in real life? On the program it was as if she didn't live in the real world and acted like she was the 9 year old.

Apparently, even though she's been re-located etc, she was too dumb to understand going by a different name so still goes by Karen Matthews.

Ok Mr Thompson...

513dbc2b587e88a36011b262c3bfe848.jpg

...I think he's talking to you

• Upvote 3

Liberal=somebody willing to respect or accept opinions or behaviours different than one's own.

Like I said,very liberal.

There's nothing in liberalism about respecting other opinions, only about tolerating them. And that's only a small part of it.

Either way, it has nothing to do with me referring to the extended Matthews family as an underclass, which apparently counts as fascist in your, clearly very strange, book.

Why wouldn't I be?

If it was me, I would thank my lucky stars it happened. She now has a chance of doing something with her life.

And now try and imagine being a child and through no fault of your own being taken away from your mother and everyone ele you know, having your name taken off you and given a new one and then placed with people you've never met before, in a place you probably don't know, yet retaining all the memories and feelings for all those you left behind and then try and 'do something' with your life. Oh and I forgot the bit about remembering to keep the secret.

And they wonder why kids 'taken into care' don't do well

• Upvote 4

And now try and imagine being a child and through no fault of your own being taken away from your mother and everyone ele you know, having your name taken off you and given a new one and then placed with people you've never met before, in a place you probably don't know, yet retaining all the memories and feelings for all those you left behind and then try and 'do something' with your life. Oh and I forgot the bit about remembering to keep the secret.

And they wonder why kids 'taken into care' don't do well

That gives me a complete different perspective on it, I've never really thought about the feelings these kids have for their biological parents no matter how bad they to them, I've always been of the opinion that they are better off away from them because now they are with better more loving parents, it really is the kids who suffer the most in all these scenarios not just Shannon Matthews but all kids that go into the "system".

That gives me a complete different perspective on it, I've never really thought about the feelings these kids have for their biological parents no matter how bad they to them, I've always been of the opinion that they are better off away from them because now they are with better more loving parents, it really is the kids who suffer the most in all these scenarios not just Shannon Matthews but all kids that go into the "system".

It's so hard. Like in any relationship x10 most kids just want the bad stuff to stop and for them to be with their own families and be secure in their own homes and networks. I have seen so many situations where kids will endlessly cover for their parents failings and so many situations where at the first opportunity kids who have been separated from their families will do all they can to get back to them.

In response to your post, being shown things from a different perspective is one of the things I love about this place

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see the programme on CH5 last night.

Shannon Matthews: What Happened Next

Documentary revealing what happened to the key characters involved in one of Britain's most notorious crimes, which also asks if there is there a new, shocking twist in the tale.

The twist in the tale wasn't exactly shoking but there are some including Julie Bushby who think there's more people involved than just Karen Mathews and Donovan.

Think that Julie Busby needs to take a step back from things. Some of the things she was saying were a little odd. Said she'd like Shannon t pay them a visit as there's people who don't now if she's alive or dead. 

https://www.my5.tv/shannon-matthews-what-happened-next/season-1/shannon-matthews-what-happened-next