You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shannon Mathews' Mother and Uncle Found Guilty

Section_31

Guest Pistonbroke

Unsolved ?

I've obviously got it mixed up mate, my apologies. I had that other little girl on my mind for some daft reason. This one was indeed her own mother who kidnapped her. 

Still not watching it like. 

I've obviously got it mixed up mate, my apologies. I had that other little girl on my mind for some daft reason. This one was indeed her own mother who kidnapped her.

Still not watching it like.

To echo the words of frankie Boyle "it just goes to show, the ugly ones always show up"
  • Upvote 3

The Moorside.

First episode of a two part series based on the whole fucking shitfest starts on Tuesday at 9:00 pm.

Drama based on the kidnapping of Shannon Matthews. In 2008, a nine-year-old girl goes missing on a council estate in the north of England. A frantic search ensues but no trace of her can be found, and within a few hours the police investigation takes on the scale of a murder inquiry. Appeals by her mother, Karen Matthews, come to nothing, and yet the community, led by the indomitable Julie, stand by her and make extraordinary efforts of their own to find Shannon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dxvxb

Wonder whatever became of that poor kid.

I'll sit this one out, if you don't mind

I'll sit this one out, if you don't mind

Why ?

TBH I don't know if I'll watch it either. I'll decide nearer the time depending what kind of mood I'm in. I wonder what the community this unfolded in feel about it being dragged up again. 

I just hope that in some weird way it was all a blessing in disguise for the poor kid.

Why ?

TBH I don't know if I'll watch it either. I'll decide nearer the time depending what kind of mood I'm in. I wonder what the community this unfolded in feel about it being dragged up again.

I just hope that in some weird way it was all a blessing in disguise for the poor kid.

For the reasons you provided above. Real life gross child abuse as entertainment? No thanks

What did that poor kid do to deserve having this made for people's 'entertainment'?

I watched it in the end and I'm glad I did. I don't think it was for the sheer entertainment value in the way I thought it would be. It went beyond the kid and her mother and gave more of an insight into those in the community. I'm more interested in the aftermath of the community and how they they came to terms with the realization that they's been conned by one of their own.

Give it a go. You can always turn it off if you don't like it.

• Upvote 1

I watched it in the end and I'm glad I did. I don't think it was for the sheer entertainment value in the way I thought it would be. It went beyond the kid and her mother and gave more of an insight into those in the community. I'm more interested in the aftermath of the community and how they they came to terms with the realization that they's been conned by one of their own.

Give it a go. You can always turn it off if you don't like it.

Nah, I dont think so. It just doesnt sit right with me airing this when Shannon isnt old enough to give consent to it being made.

She was nine when it happened back in February 2008. She'll be turning 18 soon. How time fly's eh. Seems like it was only a couple of years ago.

You're right; I hadn't realised it was that long ago either.

There was a thing on the radio yesterday where they spoke about Shannon being given a new identity. What a bloody shame.

I also caught the interview on The One Show the other night with the Police Liaison Officer for the family; that was pretty interesting. She picked up on the dancing to the phone as one of the first triggers for her suspicions.

Does amuse me how the working class are depicted in these things, although I'm not denying Matthews for one second was a scummer, but even so there's something of a 'day out at the zoo' feel about these shows, as is the likes of the Jeremy Kyle Show. Meanwhile, Nigella Lawson snorts coke while her kids are in bed and David Cameron leaves his daughter in the boozer. And as for the McCalister family, bloody hell. 

• Upvote 4