You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

Sick in your head, as in a headache dumbass. Or any other of your multiple organs.

Surely then that would just be a headache?

Having an American question an Englishman's English is like Lenny Kravitz telling Hendrix how to play the guitar.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Having an American question an Englishman's English is

... possibly the most annoying this to happen this side of bubonic cock warts.

• 3 years later...

Sick in your head, as in a headache dumbass. Or any other of your multiple organs.

You "Brits" are pretty happy with yourselves. Calling a truck a lorry? Where on earth would you come up with shit like that?

We'd come up with shit like that in England. You know - the birthplace of English.

I'm not a fan of many of the poncey Americanisms used in restaurants or around cooking - appetisers and especially entrees are particularly annoying. Right up there though is the faux French pronunciation of the word herbs with the dropped letter H. Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Lorry comes from the verb lurry, meaning to pull or drag. I'd say the reason we came up with it is because it makes sense. We came up with it before we came up with 'mericuh, one of our worst decisions. Bring back the natives, I say.

I'm not a fan of many of the poncey Americanisms used in restaurants or around cooking - appetisers and especially entrees are particularly annoying. Right up there though is the faux French pronunciation of the word herbs with the dropped letter H. Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

Whilst I wouldn't presume to try and educate a teacher on the etymology (probably the wrong word in itself), I remember hearing that the dropped h was related to where the English language was at, when the first major migrations to America occurred, and that the h has been dropped and reinserted by proper native English speakers over the centuries according to fashion. Could be wrong like, and it is very irritating, but may not be as faux as presumed.

I have some US suppliers and they took us the Kentucky derby a few years ago asked if we had horse racing in the UK ??? I had to bite my tongue and just say yes and not "actually we had horse racing before your country as you know it even existed and this race we are at is actually named after the English equivalent"

On another occasion they asked me if we have whiskey in the UK

I have some US suppliers and they took us the Kentucky derby a few years ago asked if we had horse racing in the UK ??? I had to bite my tongue and just say yes and not "actually we had horse racing before your country as you know it even existed and this race we are at is actually named after the English equivalent"

On another occasion they asked me if we have whiskey in the UK

I was once asked if we had chicken wings in the UK. As we have chickens in the UK, I was quick to assure them that we indeed do have chicken wings.