Quantcast
Annoying Americanisms - Page 5 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Section_31

Annoying Americanisms

Hence the south park joke.

yeah, i get the joke, but i'm serious. i would get asked to say it for them, and they would laugh like i'm some sort of circus freak show.

"warshington !" i would reply.

okay - time to turn the tables here.

my wife is english, my parents are english and my older sisters were born in england. i am proudly the first canadian in my family.

my issue with the english pronunciation of words can be tested with the following....

1.) caribbean

2.) himalayas

in my way of thinking, the english are much more inclined to roll between the syllables, where americans and canadians tend to pronunciate each syllable more harshly.

for me, caribbean is pronounced carib-be-in, not care-ah-bee-en, yet i've been laughed at by my english relatives (twats).

himalayas should be the same, but i admit to saying it him-a-lay-ahs, but i've heard my relatives say himall-e-ays.

it's all fucked up, but i'd hardly call the english a model of consistency and perfection.

In all fairness, we've had around 1,900 years to butcher our language, the Americans have managed it in less than 300.

For the record, I buzz off the way Canadians say 'ewt'

Michael Ironside: "Either stay independent and get wiped ewt, or, join the organisation and help hammer-punch these lizards back off the planet, it's up to you."

YA'LL are just jealous of how awesome our country is

don't be ashamed of it.

Oh dear...obviously English langage isn't a strong point....where's that apostrophe meant to be....

:whistle:

"This conversation is over"

saying Moffia, not Mafia

"Whats your Stattus"

"November 1st" "June 6th"

Black American guys who cant stop saying 'Shit'

"Shit, wha's goin on and shit"

Americanisms don't bother me. It's life, just go with the flow I say.

I mean come on theres a lot more pressing issues, like the roast meat thread for instance, or the constant threat of terrorism.

You elitist English types talking about the "butchering of the English language" do realise that that kind of "butchering" has been going on since, oh I dunno, ever?

The Queen's English, or the BBC English is a relatively new type of English language anyway.

As far as the "Yank" term, I was unaware ALL people from the U.S.A. are from New York.

As far as the "Yank" term, I was unaware ALL people from the U.S.A. are from New York.

Yank would mean someone from the United States. Statesian sounds shit.

American can mean anyone from the Americas.

Also, Yankee does not mean someone from New York for fuck's sake. It has NEVER held the meaning of someone from NEW YORK, despite what fucking baseball will tell you.

Yankee means someone from the "Union states" which WON THE CIVIL war... Therefore, all Citizens of the US are Yankees or Yank.

edit: I didn't like my use of caps so I toned it down.

Edited by Unrighteous

I remember being in Massachusetts last year, most people assumed me to be Irish which wasn't TOO bad, but then when i was hitchhiking one day i got picked up by some guy and his wife, was nice of them to pick me and my friend up but as soon i got speaking to him he said "so... Where in GERMANY are ya from???? I almost got out the car.

*Boner* as well. Makes me shudder.

I remember being in Massachusetts last year, most people assumed me to be Irish which wasn't TOO bad, but then when i was hitchhiking one day i got picked up by some guy and his wife, was nice of them to pick me and my friend up but as soon i got speaking to him he said "so... Where in GERMANY are ya from???? I almost got out the car.

*Boner* as well. Makes me shudder.

In New York nobody cared where I was from, they were too busy constantly asking for money. It was like the cast of Oliver Twist in uniforms.

Oh and the term 'can I get'

As in 'Can I get a coffee'

I think the correct answer is "I don't fucking know. You've got eyes, fucking use them, look for a Starcocks or Costalot Coffee or someshit. Fuck you asking me for, retard?!

Ah, yes, you do appear to be correct, I am indeed an employee of Stairfucks otherwise you wouldn't be asking me............ OK, well, obviously you fucking can get a coffee in here, dipshit, it's a C O F F E E S H O P. DERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

One skinny Mochacockajapseyejuiceachino coming up. Have a nice day sir!"

Homo coffeeshopiens - Windtunnel-haired cashmir-scarved pretentious checkmeout cuntwhistles the lot of em...

Yank would mean someone from the United States. Statesian sounds shit.

American can mean anyone from the Americas.

Also, Yankee does not mean someone from New York for fuck's sake. It has NEVER held the meaning of someone from NEW YORK, despite what fucking baseball will tell you.

Yankee means someone from the "Union states" which WON THE CIVIL war... Therefore, all Citizens of the US are Yankees or Yank.

edit: I didn't like my use of caps so I toned it down.

I was bored last night, hoped someone would bite.

It feels shallow now though.

as a canadian, i have to say the ones that bother me most about americans probably don't even register with you lot.

when i lived there, i had a test where i asked "what you call the part of the house above the walls".

if they answered roof - pronounced 'ruff' then i'd start thinking of ways to dispose of their body.

the other question was "what is your national capital city". of course, some wouldn't get the right answer, but they always seem to add an 'R' as in "warshington".

and they make fun of us saying 'aboot' ??? we don't even say it that way. i'm convinced that not only are they generally shit at spelling and geography, but i think they are deaf as well.

i want to live in canada - canadian women rock hard

seems an appropriate time for this...

[YOUTUBE]5Z_fsdWYXMA[/YOUTUBE]

i'm not a lenny kravitz fan, but heather graham, on the other hand...

Maths, actually bothers me...

Mathematics is the word. Shortened it is Math which means "Mathematics" which is plural.

Maths is a pluralised version of a plural word.

INCOMPREHENSIBLE~!