You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

You're right there RK. Even more annoying is when spellcheck corrects your correct spelling to make it the wrong american spelling.

Exactly, where and when did they think randomly dropping letters from words would be a clever thing? Did they think that by doing so they'd create their own language? Arrogant bastards.

Exactly, where and when did they think randomly dropping letters from words would be a clever thing? Did they think that by doing so they'd create their own language? Arrogant bastards.

It makes my fucking blood boil the more I think about it. from now on, I'm randomly adding and dropping letters every time I make reference to anything hailing from the Cunted Shits of Americunt.

I worked on a kids camp in New York State one summer and they would get excited over the most ridiculously mundane event. If someone got the last packet of Cheerios they would celebrate like winning the Superbowl. They had entertainers later on in the night and they were all ridiculously hyperactive they would make Tony Little the American fitness trainer look like Jimmy White's dead brother. The American workers there would high five each other over fuck all and just because we weren't hypo like them they all thought we were on valium. Plus the only music they would play would be stuff like John Cougar Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen, basically anything ultra american. There were a few eastern european workers on the camp and the americans tried showing them how to use a hairdryer and turn on a telly because they genuinely believed that they had not seen one before.

Has there ever been a more infantile display of spitting the dummy out than renaming 'French Fries' to 'Freedom Fries' simply because the French refused to blithely follow them into an illegal war. Why not just call them chips in the first place? Probably because they didn't read the manual and found, in hindsight, they had already squandered the perfectly apt 'chips' on fucking 'crisps'. Now they've got the word 'crisps' wandering around the language, scratching it's arse and wondering what the fuck to do with itself. It's a cryin shame I tell ya.

In fairness, 'felching' is an awesome word. Full marks for that one...Or maybe that's French?

Guest davelfc
Has there ever been a more infantile display of spitting the dummy out than renaming 'French Fries' to 'Freedom Fries' simply because the French refused to blithely follow them into an illegal war. Why not just call them chips in the first place? Probably because they didn't read the manual and found, in hindsight, they had already squandered the perfectly apt 'chips' on fucking 'crisps'. Now they've got the word 'crisps' wandering around the language, scratching it's arse and wondering what the fuck to do with itself. It's a cryin shame I tell ya.

In fairness, 'felching' is an awesome word. Full marks for that one...Or maybe that's French?

Negged for defending the french

Not entirely unrelated- Bill Bryson's book, "Made In America" is all about the history of the English language in the United States, complete with all "Americanisms" that either annoy you or don't. I'm reading it at the minute and it's fucking brilliant, and is actually quite surprising when you realise what words and phrases the Americans have introduced into most English-speaking tongues.

But there are some Americanisms that wind me up, like "hold the mayo", and "y'all". Grrr.

Not entirely unrelated- Bill Bryson's book, "Made In America" is all about the history of the English language in the United States, complete with all "Americanisms" that either annoy you or don't. I'm reading it at the minute and it's fucking brilliant, and is actually quite surprising when you realise what words and phrases the Americans have introduced into most English-speaking tongues.

But there are some Americanisms that wind me up, like "hold the mayo", and "y'all". Grrr.

I read a book called mccarthys bar(its an irish book). Its about about all the pubs in Ireland taht are called Mccarthys. anyway there was a brillaint joke about about a stupid american thinking County Mayo in connaught is where mayo is made.

as a canadian, i have to say the ones that bother me most about americans probably don't even register with you lot.

when i lived there, i had a test where i asked "what you call the part of the house above the walls".

if they answered roof - pronounced 'ruff' then i'd start thinking of ways to dispose of their body.

the other question was "what is your national capital city". of course, some wouldn't get the right answer, but they always seem to add an 'R' as in "warshington".

and they make fun of us saying 'aboot' ??? we don't even say it that way. i'm convinced that not only are they generally shit at spelling and geography, but i think they are deaf as well.

as a canadian, i have to say the ones that bother me most about americans probably don't even register with you lot.

when i lived there, i had a test where i asked "what you call the part of the house above the walls".

if they answered roof - pronounced 'ruff' then i'd start thinking of ways to dispose of their body.

the other question was "what is your national capital city". of course, some wouldn't get the right answer, but they always seem to add an 'R' as in "warshington".

and they make fun of us saying 'aboot' ??? we don't even say it that way. i'm convinced that not only are they generally shit at spelling and geography, but i think they are deaf as well.

I don't want to get into the subtle annoying yank-speak.

and they make fun of us saying 'aboot' ??? we don't even say it that way. i'm convinced that not only are they generally shit at spelling and geography, but i think they are deaf as well.[/quote]

Hence the south park joke.

okay - time to turn the tables here.

my wife is english, my parents are english and my older sisters were born in england. i am proudly the first canadian in my family.

my issue with the english pronunciation of words can be tested with the following....

1.) caribbean

2.) himalayas

in my way of thinking, the english are much more inclined to roll between the syllables, where americans and canadians tend to pronunciate each syllable more harshly.

for me, caribbean is pronounced carib-be-in, not care-ah-bee-en, yet i've been laughed at by my english relatives (twats).

himalayas should be the same, but i admit to saying it him-a-lay-ahs, but i've heard my relatives say himall-e-ays.

it's all fucked up, but i'd hardly call the english a model of consistency and perfection.