You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

boot - trunk

hoover - vacuum

lorry - truck

sweets - candy

tissue - kleenex

torch - flashlight

jumper - sweater

trainers - sneakers (or runners)

the list goes on and on....

i agree that americans can, and do butcher the english language, but it goes both ways.

the english have some very silly words for things too.

canadian is the way to go, eh ?

Yes, I do see your point Woo and I condone the use of biscuit in a variety of ways.

However, when dealing with a biscuit of the cookie variety. I prefer to call it a Cookie.

Nothing like "Cookies and Milk". Biscuits and milk just doesn't have the same ring, I am afraid.

But 'Biscuits and Sex' is even better than that, so biscuit wins!

boot - trunk

hoover - vacuum

lorry - truck

sweets - candy

tissue - kleenex

torch - flashlight

jumper - sweater

trainers - sneakers (or runners)

the list goes on and on....

i agree that americans can, and do butcher the english language, but it goes both ways.

the english have some very silly words for things too.

canadian is the way to go, eh ?

We invented the damn thing, so we can say what we want, and it is automatically right.

It's aboot time Canada were put in their place, they are America's bitch buddy!

• Upvote 1

Soccer did used to be an English nickname for Football. It became such an annoying nickname when American's started misusing the term football to describe gridiron and refer to real football as Soccer.

I use Soccer all the time now in self-mocking while at the same time winding people up style.

! Soccer!

I'll get to Americanisms later (I could write a bloody book on the amount that piss me off), but the ignorance and stupidity of some Americans pisses me off. My dad was speaking to an American when we were on holiday and the conversation went like this:

American: Hey, where are you guys from?

Dad: Take a guess.

A: Hmmm... Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming, Tennessee...

D: No, no, no, we're not from America, we're from somewhere in Europe.

A: Oh ok... France, Spain, Italy, Germany...

D: No, we're from a European country that speaks the same language as you...

A: You're Mexican?

:wallbutt:

• Haha 1

Biscuit is a more versatile word that can be used to describe a whole variety of biscuits, whereas cookie really singles you down to just the 'cookie' variety. In short, biscuit is a much more convenient word.

I agree with whoever mentioned cookie. They're biscuits not fucking cookies

They also ask for the cheque at the end of a meal instead of the bill which pisses me off

Biscuits are the food my mom cooks with flour and such

COOKIES are the sweets that you eat... you gonna call it a peanut butter biscuit? no its a peanut butter COOKIE!

get it right you arrogant small timers

Biscuits are the food my mom cooks with flour and such

COOKIES are the sweets that you eat... you gonna call it a peanut butter biscuit? no its a peanut butter COOKIE!

get it right you arrogant small timers

Peanut butter, as rank as it is, brings me to another one;

Peanut Butter and Jelly. Theres another. WHAT THE FUCK? It's Jam, not Jelly!!!! :wallbutt::wallbutt::wallbutt::wallbutt::wallbutt:

Damn Americans. Bisuits can vary from a good old Bourbon Cream, to a Jammy Dodger, even a Jaffa Cake is a biscuit.

A Cookie is one singular type of biscuit.

Get it right!!!

"I sent it to you in the mail."

No you didn't, you sent it to me in the post, you smeg.

I personally don't think that one is that bad. I know many (retarded) English people who use 'mail' instead of post.