You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

At the risk of being a dreary pedant, the majority of the words in day to day English as spoken are 'foreign' in origin. There's a good pie chart here.  Americanisms are just the latest to join the party. 

Origins_of_English_PieChart.svg.png

I think the problem is that we have no need to take on Americanisms as they are derived from English already

22 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

I note the number of people using Fall over Autumn seems to be creeping up, or perhaps it's just a trend among my acquaintances?

Its handy for the clock setting 'spring forward,fall back' but its not part of the UK's common patter and doesnt need to be. Although it shows the influence Hollywood and US based media has over the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Mom instead of Mum. "St Helen's Mom earns a fortune working from home". 

"He has that in his locker" when describing a player who is good at free kicks etc. Roster is another one that pisses me off when it is used in non american sports. 

Yeah I cant stand all shit like that. They've changed it now but the Raiders website used to be a cryptic puzzle to work out because of the weird things they call stuff. 

24 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Mom instead of Mum. "St Helen's Mom earns a fortune working from home". 

"He has that in his locker" when describing a player who is good at free kicks etc. Roster is another one that pisses me off when it is used in non american sports. 

I agree , so in solidarity I intend to visit one of the hot moms in my area and chastise here severely.

Twice.

3 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I'm not sure if it's an Americanism, but why does anyone start whatever they've got to say with So? 

It's as if they've missed the first part of the story out, when do you actually think I'll say this from now on when Im telling someone something?

Is it a new thing? 

Nope. I’ve done it for as long as I can remember 

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Our 4 year old refers to sweeties as 'candy', stuff like that does my fucking head in so I correct him every time but he's started digging his heels in.

The asshole.

Where’s he got that from?

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Candy is actually a type of sweet rather than the whole foodstuff. I think you are both right here.

There’s no defence for a 4 year old living in the east of Scotland calling sweets ‘candy’. None

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Champ said:

Where’s he got that from?

He picked it up off Blippi, this American kids entertainer on YouTube & it seems to have increased over Halloween.

I heard another wee boy saying it in Tesco the other day, seriously doing my fucking head in.

THEY ARE SWEETIES

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Our 4 year old refers to sweeties as 'candy', stuff like that does my fucking head in so I correct him every time but he's started digging his heels in.

The asshole.

Speaking of American things, my brother has bought his lad some of these. They’re ace! I reckon your son is about the right age to be getting into action figures.

CA6FE0B6-94F5-4BB4-BA28-E274F97A8270.jpeg

036F00B2-A64A-4EA8-A0C9-FCEEEFF8DD6D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

He picked it up off Blippi, this American kids entertainer on YouTube & it seems to have increased over Halloween.

I heard another wee boy saying it in Tesco the other day, seriously doing my fucking head in.

THEY ARE SWEETIES

Just ‘sweets’ for me. I thought sweeties was a Scottish thing?