You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

19 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Say “passed” or “passed away”?

Depends on the situation. Ordinarily I’d say someone had died but if I was speaking to a person who said a loved one had passed away I’d reply with the same so as not to appear insensitive.

Then ask them if they have got a battery for an ericsson 

• 2 months later...
On 29/02/2020 at 11:52, Champ said:

‘Passed’ for died. Just say it, it won’t kill you

On 29/02/2020 at 13:01, Paul said:

How did I miss that one? I fucking despise that phrase. Sanitised, anodyne shite.  

I couldn’t care about your dislike of the word, I just want to pay tribute to Jimmy, who passed earlier this morning.

I knew him all too briefly, yet in the time we had together he clung on tenaciously, before finally succumbing to what was the inevitable. He passed at 7.12am.

RIP Jimmy.

poop-in-the-potty.jpg

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I couldn’t care about your dislike of the word, I just want to pay tribute to Jimmy, who passed earlier this morning.

I knew him all too briefly, yet in the time we had together he clung on tenaciously, before finally succumbing to what was the inevitable. He passed at 7.12am.

RIP Jimmy.

poop-in-the-potty.jpg

I think you mean "I could care less", you douche.

Passed is a little softer for casual conversation. In the year after my Mum died I got sick of using the word "died" so fucking often and it always felt harsh in a conversation, as if it changed the tone ever so slightly. I don't "like" it, because it means you're referring to someone dying which is shite. But its a damn sight better then saying "died" a million times over and putting everyone you speak to about it on edge a little bit.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Aw Geez said:

Passed is a little softer for casual conversation. In the year after my Mum died I got sick of using the word "died" so fucking often and it always felt harsh in a conversation, as if it changed the tone ever so slightly. I don't "like" it, because it means you're referring to someone dying which is shite. But its a damn sight better then saying "died" a million times over and putting everyone you speak to about it on edge a little bit.

In that old film, This Happy Breed, the old lady snuffs it, Robert Newton says, she didn't pass she wasn't taken she just died. 

• Upvote 2

i think it's a modern Americanism because it's repetitive, annoying and pathetic- but when someone asks a question on the Radio etc, the person being asked will respond by starting a sentence with 'So..........'  generally followed by some complete inane drivel.

but as long as they start with that 'So', they are happy to have joined this recent fucking stupid clique to feel smug about themselves.

i need a drink. and a joint. 

• 2 weeks later...