You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

In America it is more common to watch more than one sport, over here most people are either F**tball or Rugby or Cricket and not very many like all, so if we say "What sport you in to?" it is like we are expecting them to say one of the above 3 but in America they expect you to like more than one sport therefore "What sports do you like?".

Plus i call it Macaroni & Cheese.

In America it is more common to watch more than one sport, over here most people are either F**tball or Rugby or Cricket and not very many like all, so if we say "What sport you in to?" it is like we are expecting them to say one of the above 3 but in America they expect you to like more than one sport therefore "What sports do you like?".

Nah not sure about that, you have a sport editor of a newspaper not a sports editor.

As for the second part of your post - you are of the Friends generation young'un, I've come to expect some cultural contamination.

FAIL!!!!

The realm of SPORT includes all manners of sport. IT IS SINGULAR. YOU CANNOT PLURALISE SPORT.

(I must admit that I call it Mac n' Cheese)

Soccer instead of F**tball. Oh everytime i hear that. The cafeteria, its a canteen you fools.

It's also commonly known as cafeteria. Don't get me started on the Irish fuck ups.

'It's cold so it is.'

I know, you just said it is cold, there is no need to fucking repeat it a second after you have just said it. :wallbutt::wallbutt::wallbutt::wallbutt:

Anyway back to the American ones.

The word 'sneakers' really irritates me. It sounds like a slang term for a stalker, not things you put on your feet.

On the other turn of the card...

I hate using "BISCUIT" to refer to a "COOKIE". Cookie is a far superior word, IMO.

Biscuit is a more versatile word that can be used to describe a whole variety of biscuits, whereas cookie really singles you down to just the 'cookie' variety. In short, biscuit is a much more convenient word.

Biscuit is a more versatile word that can be used to describe a whole variety of biscuits, whereas cookie really singles you down to just the 'cookie' variety. In short, biscuit is a much more convenient word.

Yes, I do see your point Woo and I condone the use of biscuit in a variety of ways.

However, when dealing with a biscuit of the cookie variety. I prefer to call it a Cookie.

Nothing like "Cookies and Milk". Biscuits and milk just doesn't have the same ring, I am afraid.