You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Buying cars from family members.

dirty_sanchez

Good idea, yay or nay?

My stepdad has offered to sell me his car for a very very reasonable price. It's a fairly high mileage 52 plate MG ZT and he'll take £2000 for it. I know that it's been looked after and serviced properly and is immaculate, but I'm not sure about whether it's a good idea to do business with family on things like this. Anyone got any thoughts?

Good idea, yay or nay?

My stepdad has offered to sell me his car for a very very reasonable price. It's a fairly high mileage 52 plate MG ZT and he'll take £2000 for it. I know that it's been looked after and serviced properly and is immaculate, but I'm not sure about whether it's a good idea to do business with family on things like this. Anyone got any thoughts?

£2,000 is alot to pay at the best of times.

My mum bought her car from my brother a few years ago and it has been great.. not a moments bother nor was the interaction of buying it.. I guess it depends what kind of relationship you have with your stepdad and whether you're paying in instalments or outright - if you buy it and it falls apart 3 days later will you assume he has done it on purpose or that its just one of those things - if you pay in bits mnthly are you going to dupe him?

Good idea, yay or nay?

I think you should do it. Then in a few years you can upgrade to a mans car.

Good idea, yay or nay?

Its worth about £700 on a good day Sanchez.

like anything get the book price, the service history and for £100 the aa man will come and give it a once over. Then look yer man straight in the eye and offer him £700 less.

"cars are nearly worth less now mate, the economy is falling through the floor." deadpan like and see what kind of response you get

My mum bought her car from my brother a few years ago and it has been great.. not a moments bother nor was the interaction of buying it.. I guess it depends what kind of relationship you have with your stepdad and whether you're paying in instalments or outright - if you buy it and it falls apart 3 days later will you assume he has done it on purpose or that its just one of those things - if you pay in bits mnthly are you going to dupe him?

You're like one of them annoying kids off Nickelodeon you are.

My Mum, who incidently is fostering 83 kids from daffour whilst training to be a cage fighter bought a car from my Brother (who is also an airline pilot). Anyway, the Rolls Royce my Mum bought off my Brother was absolutely great and it came with it's own chaueffuer and the interaction between...ARRHHH SHUT UP WOMAN *SLAP*

Good idea, yay or nay?

Well you will know the cars history so why not, and if something happens to it its an incident, not because he has tried to con you.

As you say yourself, its a very,very reasonable price and its £2000 not £20.000 so its not that much anyway I guess, I would deffo go ahead with it if you need the car and you thinks its a good deal yourself.

I bought my sisters MX5 off her a few years ago.

Fantastic deal - in 5 years I had to change 4 tyres and 2 windscreen wipers (i was only doing about 5k miles pa) . Even if it had have gone wrong, I know she wouldnt have sold me a duffer knowingly.

Well you will know the cars history so why not, and if something happens to it its an incident, not because he has tried to con you.

As you say yourself, its a very,very reasonable price and its £2000 not £20.000 so its not that much anyway I guess, I would deffo go ahead with it if you need the car and you thinks its a good deal yourself.

ITS NOWHERE NEAR REASONABLE! THE CAR IS WORTH £700 ON A GOOd DAY.

HIGH MILEAGE,HIGH INSURANCE, THEY DONT MAKE THE FUCKER ANYMORE! Prone to head gaskets fucking up; dont touch it with a barge pole.

ITS NOWHERE NEAR REASONABLE! THE CAR IS WORTH £700 ON A GOOd DAY.

HIGH MILEAGE,HIGH INSURANCE, THEY DONT MAKE THE FUCKER ANYMORE! Prone to head gaskets fucking up; dont touch it with a barge pole.

Sounds like a load of generalisations to me.

The early Rover K Series engines were prone to the head gasket failing. The engine in this one is a 2.5L V6, which is not. It's insurance group 15, so not that bad. The book private price is £2425 for a car of that spec and mileage, so I've been offered a good deal.

Besides the fact that your post was 90% inaccurate, carry on.

Sounds like a load of generalisations to me.

The early Rover K Series engines were prone to the head gasket failing. The engine in this one is a 2.5L V6, which is not. It's insurance group 15, so not that bad. The book private price is £2425 for a car of that spec and mileage, so I've been offered a good deal.

Besides the fact that your post was 90% inaccurate, carry on.

I wasnt aware of the engine size, And I admit I'm not familiar with that engine but looking in last month's CAP guide a 2.5 MG ZT with 100,000 miles averages at £1100. Bearing in mind it has fallen a further month and the public aversion to high taxation, poor fuel consumption and high insurance £700 is bang on the money for it and thats 100% accurate.

Happy motoring!

I can't check the CAP valuation because I'm not a member of their site, but all of the other price guides vary between £2425 and £1600. That's quite a lot more than £700. I'd think someone was taking the piss if I was him and someone offered me £700.

The CAP guide is a good indicator of what cars are currently fetching at auctions up and down the country but it is a trade guide, not a private sale indicator, and after all's said and done, it is a guide and not written in stone. Thats just my opinion and what I would pay. But for a better guide, go on the Auto Trader site and click on buying a used car. The first car that comes up is a top of the line Mg ZT 190+ for £999 and I'd bet he'd snap your hand off for £700.

I'm not sure to be honest. I reckon he'd rather offer it up as trade in for his new car. Looking at the figures on it though the depreciation is shocking! I think it cost him something like £25k brand new!

The depreciation on all big engined cars now is shocking. But if you want one, now is the time to buy. just bought a 2.5 Se X type Jag auto with low miles on a 52 plate for £2300. 6 months ago i would have paid £4000.

Is it stupidly thirsty?

I've decided against the car. I spoke to a mate of mine who is a mechanic and he says that they are a turd to work on.

Do I get an apology for all my hard work in saving your hard earned dough? Want to get a decent car for next to nothing? Buy a Mondeo or Vectra diesel. Parts are for fuck all, every fucker knows how to work on them and 50 to the gallon. Just make sure you change the oil and filter every so often(£15 at Kwik Fit) and the later ones dont even have cambelts to worry about. God Knows it makes sense.

You're like one of them annoying kids off Nickelodeon you are.

My Mum, who incidently is fostering 83 kids from daffour whilst training to be a cage fighter bought a car from my Brother (who is also an airline pilot). Anyway, the Rolls Royce my Mum bought off my Brother was absolutely great and it came with it's own chaueffuer and the interaction between...ARRHHH SHUT UP WOMAN *SLAP*

Errrr what????

How did it go from saying my mum bought my brothers car to this??

And whats with the negging???