You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bring in Mikey Owen in January

JoeyKop

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rafa want's Heskey to play with Keane when Torres isn't available. Obviously he could also be used late in games like last night but Keane would definitely benefit by a "Heskey" type player.

Please, please tell me this isn't true. I said something in the keane thread (I think.) that was related but I'm not quoting myself, I was wondering though :

Could Rafa saying he's not interested in Owen be him just saying that, but he really is? Like, wouldn't it drive up his price (or wages, etc.) and have other people offering more if he came out now and said he wanted him back at Liverpool if possible?

To get back to the Heskey thing : if the Torres problem carries on into next year (and I seriously hope he's rested long enough this time so it doesn't.) and we have Keane and Heskey upfront, does anyone think we'll win the title?

I mean, if Rafa wants Heskey but not Owen, given that we've already got Kuyt and Keane upfront in the firstplace, where does he expect to get goals from? Keane running around and being a 'supporting' striker but not scoring consistently, Heskey running around 'creating' stuff but not scoring enough, and Kuyt running......all over the pitch doing his superman stuff.......who the fuck scores the goals to get us the title?

It makes me feel ill. Keane and Heskey as players I have no major problem with, but if neither can score enough goals and Rafa wants them together for some bizarre reason anyway, when it's possible we could have Owen...how is that sane? Maybe he thinks Keane and Heskey will click or something....I'm just baffled.

Viduka??? Where has he been linked, I haven't heard that before.

Also, I know you weren't having a go at Crouch, I was just being flippant, as you can be sure if we sign Heskey there will be people making excuses for Rafa saying he had no choice etc

Andy Harper said it on Fox (aus tv). He's respected over here but it said rather flippantly and off the cuff without divulging anymore. He didn't say it was going to happen just that he was linked.

If we revert to the 4-2-3-1 formation when Torres is fit with Gerrard playing in the hole, then neither Keane or Owen would fit into that formation.

Both would be ideal coming off the bench to change games, but realistically both are going to want to start games each week, and we would have to revert to a 4-4-2 to acommodate either player anyway.

An ideal alternative/back-up player to Torres would be a Drogba type forward who can play as a lone striker, hold the ball up & score goals. Heskey has those attributes and is cheap, but doesn't score enough goals. If Babel could learn to play with his back to goal & improve his 1st touch then he could be another option, although I doubt he will want to continue as a bench warmer.

I fear that Rafa may try and do a deal with Spurs in January for Keane & use the money to sign Heskey & a right winger.

In hindsight the £20m spent on Keane, may have been better invested by signing a real, top quality right winger who can score and create goals, but Rafa should have seen how well the Torres/Gerrard partnership was working and looked to add some meat to the bones rather than break up a tried and tested partnership.

We did not take the initiative to sell Crouch. He refused to sign an extension to his contract. He also indicated that he wanted to go if he was not going to be played regularly. He was concerned that if he was not the first or a regular choice for a starting spot it would affect his chances of being part of the England squad. He decided that the arrival of Torres and other factors would probably mean that his appearances would be limited. Given his refusal to sign an extension and his determination to seek a starting spot somewhere, we allowed him to go for a decent price rather than waiting until his contract expired worthless. Rafa always said he was a good player and welcome to stay.

Viduka I'd have no problem with at all, if he wasn't so injured all the time like Owen. I'd be happy to see him in a red shirt if he was fit as I think he's great. There's no wonder Newcastle are in the shit they're in when you think of the injury problems they've both had though.

Just checked and Viduka's goalscoring ratio's almost 1 in 2 aswell, (played 476, scored 236.) but at 33 he might be past his best. I'd still go for Owen if it came to a choice.

So to sum up : we need to call Voronin back from his loan and have some Voromania to bring in number 19.

Edited by Red Phoenix

This thread has evolved from a Michael Owen discussion to a full blown rumour thread, tribalfootball style.

Just wait this person is usually right about these things. Take the piss when the window has been and gone.

Edited by simon

Guest Dog Chaser
Just wait this person is usually right about these things. Take the piss when the when the window has been and gone.

Im not doubting your secret source, i do rate that Vucinic. But repeating yourself is unacceptable:whistle:

Rafa will want English players as our UEFA quota is pretty much full especially if true he does get rid of Keane so Heskey would make sense though I doubt they will sell him and Martin O'Neill will provide stiff competition for his signature if Whelan did decide to cash in

Guest Dog Chaser
Vucinic is a good player who can play as a lone striker, but why would he leave Roma to play 2nd fiddle to Torres?

Or maybe revert to 4-4-2 with them two up top.

SECONDFIDDLE.jpg