You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bring in Mikey Owen in January

JoeyKop

Guest PaddyBerger15
£2m for Owen ... and £20m for Keane.

And keane is a year older, is he not?

Mad mad world. That said, I'd only take him back if it meant offloading Keane in January, otherwise I don't see the point - but as much as I despise Owen and what he has represented over the last 5 years, this would be his final chance at redemption. What's the betting though that his wage demands would scupper it at the last minute!?

Besides, WE NEED A TARGET MAN!!!

Difference being that Newcastle can't afford to keep Owen and want him gone. Spurs had Keane tied to a contract and were reluctant sellers.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£2m for Owen ... and £20m for Keane.

And keane is a year older, is he not?

Mad mad world. That said, I'd only take him back if it meant offloading Keane in January, otherwise I don't see the point - but as much as I despise Owen and what he has represented over the last 5 years, this would be his final chance at redemption. What's the betting though that his wage demands would scupper it at the last minute!?

Besides, WE NEED A TARGET MAN!!!

Offloading Keane in Jan?

I think most people who have hated Owen for walking away would have him back at that price. It would be crazy not to.

I personally think Benitez would be mad passing on this opportunity.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does, imo he will be looking for someone more in the Heskey/Crouch mould, a target man. But that's all it is at the moment, speculation.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does, imo he will be looking for someone more in the Heskey/Crouch mould, a target man. But that's all it is at the moment, speculation.

I doubt that evry much. If he was looking for a crouch/heskey type player he would have sold Crouch in the first place.

At a time when many are moaning about Keane missing sitters that so many should advocate the return of Owen. How soon we forget. Owen must hold the PL record (and certainly the LFC record) for the most misses of good chances - he even missed 50% of his penalties. He has continued this glorious record with Newcastle. They moan about all the chances he misses there.

Some of you remember the goals he scored. But that was when the team was organised to serve him. He had speed and the ability to come off the shoulder of the last defender for knock-ons by Heskey or through balls from Gerrard. But he has long since lost that speed. It would be disastrous to our title hopes if we went back to accommodating his weaknesses in order to make use of his strengths (especially now that he has lost those strengths).

He contributed very little else to the team. He could not defend from the front, pass, hold the ball, dribble or lead the line as a lone forward - but to be fair he did learn to head the ball. His contribution to team spirit was nil. His ambitions was for England and himself. England's current manager thinks he is very limited and prefers half a dozen others.

Do you forget all the money we spent on medical bills for his hamstrings and how he used to be constantly injured until it was time for an England game? We were saved all that by Rafa's refusal to buy him when he was leaving Real Madrid. How long has he been out with injuries since joining Newcastle? Its well over a year cumulatively.

We won nothing of note during his time - apart from the FA Cup.

The team should not be picked based on who are Gerrard and Carragher's mates. I trust Rafa to refuse Owen as he essentially did when he was leaving Real Madrid.

And for the record, yes, I also think Owen is a cold, hard, self-centred money-grubbing gambler and I'd don't want to go back to all that again.

At a time when many are moaning about Keane missing sitters that so many should advocate the return of Owen. How soon we forget. Owen must hold the PL record (and certainly the LFC record) for the most misses of good chances - he even missed 50% of his penalties. He has continued this glorious record with Newcastle. They moan about all the chances he misses there.

Some of you remember the goals he scored. But that was when the team was organised to serve him. He had speed and the ability to come off the shoulder of the last defender for knock-ons by Heskey or through balls from Gerrard. But he has long since lost that speed. It would be disastrous to our title hopes if we went back to accommodating his weaknesses in order to make use of his strengths (especially now that he has lost those strengths).

He contributed very little else to out the team. He could not defend from the front, pass, hold the ball, dribble or lead the line as a lone forward - but to be fair he did learn to head the ball. His contribution to team spirit was nil. His ambitions was for England and himself. England's current manager thinks he is very limited and prefers half a dozen others.

Do you forget all the money we spent on medical bills for his hamstrings and how he used to be constantly injured until it was time for an England game? We were saved all that by Rafa's refusal to buy him when he was leaving Real Madrid. How long has he been out with injuries since joining Newcastle? Its well over a year cumulatively.

We won nothing of note during his time - apart from the FA Cup.

The team should not be picked based on who are Gerrard and Carragher's mates. I trust Rafa to refuse Owen as he essentially did when he was leaving Real Madrid.

And for the record, yes, I also think Owen is a cold, hard, self-centred money-grubber gambler and I'd don't look forward to go back to all that again.

Plus another 5 trophies.

I said "of note". I'll concede the UEFA Cup. Owen contributed to that but did not score in the final during which we scored five goals..

So basically what you're saying is that we won nothing of note during that period apart from the FA Cup and Uefa Cup? Life of Brian springs to mind!

And Owen may not have scored in the final but without him there's absolutely no chance we'd have even got that far.

Agenda.

Plus £5m a year wages. Over 3 or 4 years it adds up.

Bascombe is reporting that he'd take a big pay cut, so I doubt his wages being anywhere near 5m a year.

Point taken r.e. it all adds up, but then that could apply to every player we are paying currently, first team, reserve, shit or good.

The Owen deal makes huge sense to me.

Bascombe is reporting that he'd take a big pay cut, so I doubt his wages being anywhere near 5m a year.

Point taken r.e. it all adds up, but then that could apply to every player we are paying currently, first team, reserve, shit or good.

The Owen deal makes huge sense to me.

Exactly. People use the wages point to try and make out that a cheap player will be just as expensive as an expensive player (if you get my meaning) but that's not the case at all.

The £2M fee may be followed by another £5M in wages but using Keane as an example, his £20M fee would also be followed by a massive sum in wages.

Owen at that price is a steal.

Owen is an injury risk but for 2m quid, that's practically risk free.

And he can score scruffy goals. We need to mop up those scruffy chances.

And for that reason, I'm in.

I'd be quite moist at the thought of him signing actually.

Loving these little Dragon's Denisms

The obvious bit of busniness has to be to sell Keane for 16m buy Owen for 2m and spend 14m on a decent creative link player that we are badly missing in games against Fulham and Stoke.

However I dont think Rafa is one to admit he may have made a mistake with Keane so it wont happen

Your ace you Nick.

The obvious bit of busniness has to be to sell Keane for 16m buy Owen for 2m and spend 14m on a decent creative link player that we are badly missing in games against Fulham and Stoke.

However I dont think Rafa is one to admit he may have made a mistake with Keane so it wont happen

Insane post.