Quantcast
Five years ago today - Page 2 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

My parents are both retired and now live in Devon, chilling out and loving it. My Dad's in his late 60's and spends most of his time helping out on my sister's farm and walking her dogs. I've been putting off going to see them before Christmas as I'm really too busy. Having read this thread though, I've just arranged to go down to visit in 2 weeks. Life's too short to not make the damn effort.

My parents are both retired and now live in Devon, chilling out and loving it. My Dad's in his late 60's and spends most of his time helping out on my sister's farm and walking her dogs. I've been putting off going to see them before Christmas as I'm really too busy. Having read this thread though, I've just arranged to go down to visit in 2 weeks. Life's too short to not make the damn effort.

IS right.

I was watching Into the wild about a week ago and the thing that hit home more than any of the other inspirational stuff was the scene about not seeing his family. Made me think about how it really isn't that great of me to go longish periods without seeing my mum or my dad; it may not be a big deal to me (what with me being an ignorant, selfish twat) but they might want to see me more often and it's a small thing to make them happy.

Went to see my mum and nan this week; need to do it more often. I don't for one second go for all that "blood is thicker than water" bullshit, and if family are cunts then cut them adrift, but if your family are ace then not making the effort is just plain daft.

Can't believe that was five years ago.

I remember you posting around that time and it was some really powerful stuff to read. It was the first time I thought the forum wasn't just a load of internet wank.

Losing someone is always tough

Losing someone special is something you never get over.

And it's always important to mark the dates that matter

Thoughts etc, Tom

I was watching Into the wild about a week ago and the thing that hit home more than any of the other inspirational stuff was the scene about not seeing his family. Made me think about how it really isn't that great of me to go longish periods without seeing my mum or my dad; it may not be a big deal to me (what with me being an ignorant, selfish twat) but they might want to see me more often and it's a small thing to make them happy.

Went to see my mum and nan this week; need to do it more often. I don't for one second go for all that "blood is thicker than water" bullshit, and if family are cunts then cut them adrift, but if your family are ace then not making the effort is just plain daft.

True.

Tom, if there's any space left my thoughts are with you and my Dad too (who's still with me).

Thought are with you, Tom.

Losing relatives sucks. I've been home from Liverpool this weekend as my grandma passed away during the week (at the grand age of 90). I came home last weekend to see her which is probably on of the best things I've done.

My Thoughts are with you Tom and Cain.

My Grandfather had a stroke about 6 weeks ago. Thanksfully he's alright now though and he was out of hospital in a week. Very very lucky. Im going to make sure I visit him a lot more than I was. It was a bit of wake up call.

I dont think I could tell my mum or dad that I love them, it'd just be weird as I'm not good with all that sentimental stuff. I do though, and I hope they know it, bit stupid really.

All the best Tom sir, have a bevvie tonight.

It must be hrs Tom, my thoughts are with you today

I'm lucky that both my parents are still relatively young, so hopefully I'll have plenty if time with them

I work with my dad, and I know people say never work with your family, but it's the polar opposite, I dread the day I have to say goodbye to him,

7 years.

Go and see your folks, folks. Give them a hug and tell 'em you love 'em.

They won't always be here.

Shout Tom. Off to spend Christmas with mine this year. My Dad's 70 now and my Mum's 65. They won't be around forever like you say and I treasure their company more now they live in Devon. Hope to see them a lot more often in the next couple of years than I have done.

Thoughts go out to all who have lost close relatives.

I have made a point while not in work to spend time with my dad. We had our moments when I was a kid and some even came to blows but now I have an understanding why this happened and we get on really well now.

I'll miss him when he's gone.

There aren't many days that go by that I don't think about my Uncle Tommy (Tom's Dad), or my mum (his sister). He was like a dad to me and I looked up to him and admired him my entire life, he was class in everything he did, my life was a much happier place when him in it.

There aren't many days that go by that I don't think about my Uncle Tommy (Tom's Dad), or my mum (his sister). He was like a dad to me and I looked up to him and admired him my entire life, he was class in everything he did, my life was a much happier place when him in it.

That's a lovely post Eze.

Guest The Chimp
That's a lovely post Eze.

It is. There are some good lads on here. Some sage advice from Tom a few posts up as well. Thoughts with you mate.

I flew over to see my Dad a few weeks ago for his 70th. Told him how much he means to me and he was totally made up that I came over. Said it was the best present he got, which was nice.

7 years.

Go and see your folks, folks. Give them a hug and tell 'em you love 'em.

They won't always be here.

I did that the weekend just gone. My arl fella died last year, my mam is in her 70s and getting a bit doddery. Our kid who still lives with her does not drive so she doesnt get to do much shopping on her own any more so I came up to say hello and play taxi driver for her. Dragged me around Liverpool for the best part of saturday shoe shopping, and after pissing off numerous shoe shop staff "50 bleedin' quid and I can't feel me feet in 'em", she settled for a £4 pair of slippers.

Bless. My mam is ace.

Guest davelfc

Never take your parents for granted, lost my mum when I was 16. (parents divorced when I was 5 and never saw the sperm donor again)

I still miss her.

Tom - the Leeds crew has you in their thoughts - I have some very fond memories of your dad.. not least of all thinking, when I was wee, that he was infact a real life Giant.. Aunty M tried to set me straight on a few occassions but to be honest I just knew I was right.

Love to you all. xx